Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaKit / USA  (Read 3597 times)

Description:

Offline adolescent

• Show all replies
Re: AmigaKit / USA
« on: December 15, 2005, 01:55:18 AM »
@gizmo350

You won't be able to run OS4 on a Blizzard 1260.  Only the BlizzardPPC, and that's when/if it's released.

The web browsing experience on an AGA Amiga is slightly worse than it is on a PPC Amiga which is pretty horrible itself.    

What graphics difference do you see in OS3.5 and OS3.9?

Everything you mention can be done* (to some extent), but don't expect anything to be as easy or as compatible as a modern computer.  :-(

* Although, I don't know what you mean by Adobe.  If you mean PDF viewing, then yes it can be done.  If it's something else then it probably can't.
Time to move on.  Bye Amiga.org.  :(

Offline adolescent

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2005, 04:17:38 AM »

Invisix wrote:
@gizmo350

Your requirements listed above absolutely require a tower case, as nothing except the Blizzard 1260 would fit in the default Keyboard / Case. For a tower solution, I recommend the D-BOX 1200, it's a beautiful case from what i've seen, nice and silvery. :-D

I disagree.  A HD, PCMCIA NIC, etc. all fit as standard and doesn't require any case modification at all.  To fit USB the case requires a bit of modification but nothing serious.

As for "graphics" the default is AGA, and the onboard graphics connector only supports Commodore / Amiga monitors (Amiga 1084S is what I recommend for this). In order to install an LCD / VGA type monitor, you are required to purchase a Scandoubler / Flicker fixer (if you only want OCS/ECS/AGA graphics).

You can use VGA modes with a standard VGA monitor.  For normal PAL/NTSC modes the LCD would have to have a composite or s-video input.

Offline adolescent

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2005, 05:50:19 AM »

gizmo350 wrote:
If I can fit a HDD and the BLIZZARD 1260 ACCELERATOR into the case of the 1200, that would be just what I'm looking for. The monitor choices seem simple and it sounds like I can use AGA for everything I need. I would love to see a screenshot of AGA on LCD.

Of course you can.  My A1200 specs:

Blizzard 1260 + SCSI-IV (128M RAM total)
4xEIDE'99
20GB Hitachi ATA4 HD
HD Floppy
Netgear MA401 NIC
DCE ScanMagic Internal SD/FF

Some day I'll throw in a Subway USB and be done (although I've always wanted to mount a laptop CD-ROM in there too.  Oh, and then there's the S-Video mod that I have to try.  And...).

Offline adolescent

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2005, 04:52:53 AM »

Cyberus wrote:
I'd assumed it was not possible to fit the SCSI kit in the desktop case....

It's designed for the desktop case.  The external connector fits the expansion cut out at the back of the case.