Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amigakit and their customer service...  (Read 43392 times)

Description:

Offline PainkillerTopic starter

• Show all replies
Amigakit and their customer service...
« on: December 29, 2008, 03:30:30 PM »
I got fedup with Amigakit.eu today.

I ordered two Amiga Internal Floppy Drive (A1200/A600) from them ofcourse expecting to get original Amiga floppy drives, but what do I get instead... I get modified PC drives that I could have done myself and none of them fits to my Infinitiv Tower, which should work with original amiga drives.

Nowhere was it mentioned that these drives are modified PC and yet Amigakit refuses to refund me or addmit their mispresentation of their item. They should be upfront that these are modified PC drives. Would have saved me over 40 euros. Even if they magically decide to refund me it doesn't really mean much as it costs me almost 40 euros to ship them back and they said they refund shipping fees.

I could be fine if they could even give me a 20 euros for these drives without sending them back...

:madashell:  :madashell:  :madashell:  :madashell:  :madashell:  :pissed:  :pissed:  :pissed:  :pissed:  :pissed:

• Show all replies
Re: Amigakit and their customer service...
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 03:50:11 PM »
If there isn't, the site should say "Amiga compatible internal 3.5" floppy disk drive for the Amiga A1200 or A600.", not "Amiga internal 3.5" floppy disk drive for the Amiga A1200 or A600."

Thank you for understanding my point :) They even seem to have "new" A1200 systems at stock so I assumed these are old stock all which would qualify as brand new if never used or opened from the package.

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 04:00:50 PM »
Drive mechanism can vary in original Amigas also, but they weren't just simple PC drive "hack" jobs like this drive is.

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 04:54:43 PM »

Darrin wrote:
Surely this would have been the option for you:

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=106

Nope Infinitiv Tower doesn't accept standard 3.5" floppy drives with faceplate, atleast not mine :( the eject button is the problem (Infinitiv tower has its own faceplate with own eject button and dust shield, to my understanding the eject button is placed to that it would fit perfectly to a original Amiga floppy drive). After little digging could be that original A1200 Panasonic drive is the only one that fits perfectly. Doesn't really matter if I would have gotten an original Amiga drive then fine my mistake if it didn't fit, but surely I wouldn't have wasted my money one these when I have countless of PC drives at my home that can easily be modified... I expected original A1200 drive and I didn't get one.

The real problem here is that Amigakit isn't willing to compensate me in any way.

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 05:19:43 PM »
I don't want to keep those drives I'd like to send them back but it costs almost 40 euros for me to send them back so what is the point really when they won't refund shipping for me? Nor did they say they would take them back as according to them they have not mispresented their product... I don't like the fact that they can mispresent their products like this and then just wash their hands with it.

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 05:33:32 PM »
Yes they will take them back if faulthy product or mispresented, but according to them it isn't and they wont take it back.

Yes I know hardly their problem what my post office charges, well actually it is since their fault in the first place. A company should pay all the return fees if product is not what promised etc. Why do you think MS is paying for the warranty shipments? We have this thing called REILU MEININKI here in Finland and this isn't one of those cases by a long shot ;)

I guess I will sell these here with proper discription of the item and get what I can. After this avoid dealing with shops like Amigakit in the future.

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 07:46:21 PM »
Just to make things clear. I don't exactly see where Amigakit is offering me refund.

Antti Jarvinen on 2008-12-29 04:39:13
Hi,
I'm not pleased at all to see that the internal A1200/A600 are not original parts. I can modify my own drives if I want (which I have plenty in my corners). This drive doesn't suit the original infinity tower which requires original drives to support the eject button on infinity tower. That is 43 euros wasted for nothing. What sall we do, it costs me about 40 euros to ship them back...

Regards,
Antti Jarvinen

Customer Services (Matthew) on 2008-12-29 05:32:34
The floppy drive buttons are in the same position as the original drives.

Antti Jarvinen on 2008-12-29 05:49:00
Doesn't really help as Infinity Tower uses the orginal metal part of the eject button which differs drastically from PC drives. This drive won't fit in Infinity Tower. It should be mentioned that these are modified PC drives. Would have saved me the trouble and money. Now how will you refund me as it is clear that it doesn't make any sense to ship these items back?

Customer Services (Matthew) on 2008-12-29 05:52:32
We do not offer refunds unless the items are returned to us in good condition as per our terms of sales and returns as displayed on our webstore and when you checkout and agree to terms of sales/returns.

Antti Jarvinen on 2008-12-29 06:00:15
Fine. I will ship these drives back and expect full refund including shipping. The product is clearly misrepresented on your website. Could you give me address for returns so I can ship these back?

Customer Services (Matthew) on 2008-12-29 06:05:43
We do not refund shipping charges. The item is not misrepresented - it is a floppy drive for an A1200/A600- exactly as described:

"Amiga internal 3.5" floppy disk drive for the Amiga A1200 or A600.

Brand new and guaranteed. Drive mechanism may vary."

If you email us before ordering - we are happy to advise on compatibility and answer any questions you have. We advise customers to do this if they wish to check details.

Antti Jarvinen on 2008-12-29 06:15:37
It doesn't say anywhere that these are modified PC drives. If you sell an internal amiga floppy drive, one would expect it to be used with original amiga parts, but as is this drive doesn't even support the original A1200 eject button if one likes to use it nor is this drive compatible with Infinity Tower. I was expecting a fully compatible A1200 internal drive and I got this POS PC drive which I could modified myself.

Customer Services (Matthew) on 2008-12-29 06:28:10
There are no specific Amiga 880K floppy drives parts - Commodore and Escom/AT all used PC floppy drives modified to work with the Amiga- sometimes with jumpers, sometimes with hard wiring.

The A1200 floppy button varied in design depending on whether the A1200 had an Epson, Chinon, Teac, Panasonic or Sony drive. The Teac drives even featured three different designs of eject button.

The description does not confirm compatibility with the Infinitiv tower system- it specifies the Amiga 1200 or 600 as the suitable computers.

[here is where I lost it]
Antti Jarvinen on 2008-12-29 06:46:01
Be upfront and mention that the are modified PC drives. {bleep} I wouldn't have bought them if I knew it. Merry xmas to you assholes and your {bleep}ty customer service.

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 08:09:23 PM »
@broken
I know I got carried away there, but my first support request was reasonable and I asked them that what shall we do and how do they reply me... Well read it your self. Just put your self in my shoes. I have been waiting a long time to put my Infinitiv Tower back together and then I see these drives and know that the Infinitiv is designed to acommodate internal A1200 drive. Oh well the Infinitiv tower isn't perfect either, but still this product is not what it is supposed to be.

Absolute minun that I could send would be 26,40 euros. Doesn't really make sense even then. As priority mail it would cost 43,10 euros. Yes I know freaking Itella and their prices :( It is cheaper for me to order stuff from Hong Kong to my door step than to send the same package inside Finland, so that my friend can pic it up from the nearest post office. Funny thing is Itella is the one who delivers the package that comes from Hong Kong :)

@ffastback
Drives that came with Amiga didn't have dremel cut upper shell or cut and glued together eject button to fit A1200/A600 case. These drives have. Simple mention that these are modified drives is all that would have been needed, but they don't give you that info on the page as a consumer I have the right to know this without further inquery. It is like buying a new car from a store and asking if it has been crashed and then repaired...

• Show all replies
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 05:45:03 AM »
@amiga_3k
Yes it would have stopped me from ordering as I have plenty of PC drives in my conrners that I can modify. As I mentioned before the Infinitiv Tower should accept internal Amiga drive so why ask? It didn't make any sense and it doesn't make any sense that the seller doesn't mention in anyway that these are modified PC to fit A1200 case and read  Amiga discs. Come to think of it last time I asked something from Amigakit was the EZ Z4 Tower if it can take G-REX busboard and never got an answer... Needless to say didn't buy it.

I would have asked for a Lexus-look rear-light. Didn't ask an Infinitiv Tower floppy drive, because internal A1200 drive should fit in it.

@ffastback
None of the drives that came with Amigas were dremel jobs... These are. Buyer should know if the drives are modified PC drives do you not agree (it is not something that one should ask for to know)? How would you feel if I were to sell you an Amiga and not mention what custom hacks I have done on it.

@Amigakit
I apology for my hars words. I will sell these drives here to avoid any further hasle. Could you be so kind and make your item discription more accurate?

• Show all replies
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 08:38:49 AM »
If I recall correctly the drive I had in the tower before was a Panasonic drive and the eject button had a lenghtier metal part that was alligned with the correct eject button position for A1200 case. In Infinitiv Tower it went inside the eject button and worked perfectly. I don't think that Amigakit could  premodify these drives so that they wuold work correctly with Infinitiv case, what they can do is mention that it needs extra work and that these drives are hand modified. The plastic eject button on these drive can be made to retro fit inside Infinitiv Eject button, but the aligment isn't as straight forward.

I just want Amigakit to correct their discription for these drives. Would of been nice if they would have compensated me in some way, but I see now that it is just easier for me to sell these.

• Show all replies
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 11:30:26 AM »
@JJ
Yes I know how to mod a PC drive. Done plenty of them. Still feel that Amigakit should mention that these are modded PC drives with cut upper shell and cut + glued together eject button to position with A1200 and A600 eject button hole.

NONE of the Amiga drives back then were modified in this manner. They all had factory made upper shells and eject buttons.

@JJ & Amigakit
Tell me one reaseon why shouldn't a consumer who is about to buy this product know these things upfront?

• Show all replies
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 12:23:16 PM »
And yet in this case it would have been important. I wouldn't have bought them. I would have know directly that these drives aren't going to fit directly. Be it that they had send me an "original" drive that wouldn't have fit then yes my bad and stupid Mikronik with their tower design.

• Show all replies
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2008, 04:14:08 PM »
I modified the other drive to fit and the second I will sell inside A1200 that I will put together.

The problem really here isn't wheter it would fit or not, but I should have know upfornt that these are same drives I can manufacture my self pretty easily without asking the seller. How hard is it to write these are modified PC drives... For some this product is worth the price but to me it wasn't and I'm not happy because the product discription isn't totally honest.

I expected an original Amiga part which wouldn't include cutsom modifications, but actually factory made parts. This was not mentioned in the product discription in any way. If they would have been these and wouldn't have directly fit my Infinitiv Case I would have been fine with it.

I'm amazed how easily stores could sell products that are in some ways modified etc. and not told in the discription and some of you guys would be fine with it...  How would some of you guys feel if I created a MAC from custom parts installed OSX in it, fit it in MAC case and then sell it as a MAC. Hey it does job exactly like a MAC so it must be a MAC and screw you if you didn't bother to ask if it is a real MAC from Apple factory parts.

• Show all replies
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2008, 04:47:07 PM »
Sorry mate not my faulth you should have asked before you bought it...  :-P

• Show all replies
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2008, 05:40:38 PM »
@Amigakit
Did any of the modified "original" Amiga drives have custom shell modifications.

No.

If it was mentioned that these are modified PC drives would I have directly know that they wont directly fit for my purpose.

Yes.

Could it have been an original drive that wouldn't fit my purpose.

Yes. That would have been my bad.

Do I think it is misleading to sell these as just Amiga parts, yes because they aren't the same as the original drives be it that some of the original drives were made from PC drives, but all with factory parts.