Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A2000 HDD Jumper Settings  (Read 1031 times)

Description:

Offline necrophileTopic starter

• Show only replies by necrophile
    • http://www.amvcnsw.com.au
A2000 HDD Jumper Settings
« on: July 31, 2007, 12:16:52 PM »
I am looking for information on how to set up correctly two HDD's in my A2000. I have two working hard disks and a good scsi controller but I cannot get them both to work together.

They are both partitioned and only one has boot up on it.

Is there a jumper setting on the disks or controller I need to set up and do I need to do anything different with the formatting of the drives???

PLEASE HELP!!! I am in Amiga withdrawals....

Offline Chain

• Show only replies by Chain
    • http://chain.3dgrafika.cz/aktivity
Re: A2000 HDD Jumper Settings
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 12:45:18 PM »
Jumpers are on each drive, they are not master/slave as on ATA drves, but there are tree (or more of them).
each jumper represents one bit for ID, ie.:
Open Open Closed means ID 1,
Open Closed Open means ID 2,

also drive on the end of cable must be terminated and hadddrive in dhe middle must NOT be terminated.
there is additional jumper (terminator on/off) for that on most drives.

its best to start with drive sumper settings, you can found it on anufacturess site as PDF manuals.

hope it helps a little

edit: quick scsi guide  http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~miles.j/amiga.html#CPUSCSI
too lazy to use shift key properly...

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 10:15:11 AM »
Thanks Chain...

I already had the ID set correctly but I am uncertain about the termination. Is either of these the termination jumper or is it elswere on the drive. I am using two almost identical quantam drives.

Sorry cant see how to attach pic.

I have JP1 with jumpers SS, EP and WS then another set of three marked A0, A1 and A2. EP is linked and so is A1 on the second drive.

Offline RCTools

• Show only replies by RCTools
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 07:10:11 AM »
Hi necrophile,

The Quantum drives usually have two or three terminating resistor packs at the rear, close to the power and data cable sockets. You simply have to pry/pull them out, carefully.
It is best to wrap them in tape afterwards and tape them securely to the drive for future use.

TTYL, Bob

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 04:22:41 AM »
Thanks bob,

I have checked that as per the link supplied by chain. I have already got the first drive on the cable without the resistor packs and the drive at the end of the cable has the resistor packs on it. The machine will only boot if i have the jumper settings on the HDD with workbench installed set on the center jumper (EP) It doesn't seem to matter which jumpers I link or unlink on the second drive it will not run at the same time.

The second drive does function and works showing both partitions if I disconnect the original HDD completely and boot off a workbench floppy.

Any Ideas?

Offline Zac67

• Show only replies by Zac67
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 07:29:09 AM »
EP is 'Enable Parity' and should be closed always (for Amiga host adapters).

AFAIR WS is 'Wait Spin', i.e. the drive needs a spin up command from the host, which probably won't work. SS is some self test mode where the drive seeks and maps out bad/damaged blocks.

Offline rkauer

• Show only replies by rkauer
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 04:45:15 PM »
 If two devices are set to have the same I.D., the whole chain may not work, or possibly just the conflicting devices (if you have more than two). ALWAYS make sure each device has a different I.D.(!) Most devices have jumpers or a small dial for setting the I.D. number.

Despite the reputation of being difficult to configure, I have found that SCSI is extremely easy to get up and running. Pay attention to the issues above and you should be fine. Just in case, here are a few troubleshooting tips:

Check Termination First. Then check it again.

Check I.D.#s

Use quality cables. If you have a problem, especially with a fast hard drive, try changing the cable.

Use the shortest connections possible. Pay attention to the maximum total length. No more than 1 meter (=3.5 feet).

Make sure the cables are plugged in correctly and firmly: pin 1 to pin 1.
Goodbye people.

I\'ll pop on from time to time, RL is acting up.