Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: In your opinion which was the best and the worst thing that Commodore did to the Amiga?  (Read 4495 times)

Description:

Offline YttriumOx

• Show all replies
If Amiga had dominated the market right from the start and continued to do so to the present day, I probably wouldn't be an Amigan today...  for one simple reason:  Microsoft Operating Systems and Applications.

MS would have made their Operating Systems and Apps for the Amiga.  Right now, there'd be two groups of people - those running AmigaOS on their Amigas and those running WinXP Pro on their Amigas.  Both groups would be using Internet Explorer, MS Office and Outlook Express.
Our community which has fostered so many great pieces of software would not exist, and we'd be stuck with the mainstream crap that gets pushed out as hard and fast as possible at the expense of quality.

The Amiga hardware would probably be years ahead of todays PCs, but that doesn't matter, because the software would be garbage (plentiful and easy to get, but still garbage)

Regards,
Ben de Waal
AKA Yttrium Oxide

Offline YttriumOx

• Show all replies
But, to expand on my previous post:
While it's been good for developing an "Amiga way", we certainly don't need to remain the underdogs of the computing industry.  We now have a unique style that isn't dominated by the mainstream, and with careful management and active participation by what remains of the present community, if we WERE to become a large mainstream player in the computer industry again, I think we could pull it off without being sucked into "the bad way of doing things".

Regards,
Ben de Waal
AKA Yttrium Oxide

Offline YttriumOx

• Show all replies
Oh, and to be on topic:

Best: Releasing a wide range of Amigas to suit all walks of life.

Worst: Not listening to the hardware designers when it came to good ideas but instead listening to the accountants (who were morons anyway) that certain features would be too expensive.

Regards,
Ben de Waal
AKA Yttrium Oxide