Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Owner of Amiga.org to be on Amiga Roundtable.  (Read 43101 times)

Description:

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
Re: New Owner of Amiga.org to be on Amiga Roundtable.
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2009, 06:36:20 PM »
I'm routing for ,His Holiness, the Great Spaghetti Monster!

Offline ZeBeeDee

• Show only replies by ZeBeeDee
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2009, 06:45:22 PM »
The new owner is this guy -->> :banana:
To err is human ... to BOING divine!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline J-Golden

• TOP SECRET USER!!!
    • Show only replies by J-Golden
    • http://about.me/J.Golden
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2009, 07:41:16 PM »
No no, the new owner of A.ORG is...

BROCCOLI!!!
AMIGA: (NOUN) THE FIRST COMPUTER THAT BRIDGED THE GAP BETWEEN HUMANITY AND TECHNOLOGY.

I'm a dyslectic, phonetic spelling English Major. It's funny 'cause it's TRUE!:roflmao:

WWBD?

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2009, 07:44:44 PM »
Quote from: Piru;530900
You don't actually need to be a rocket scientist to realize it's Bill Panagouleas.

Perhaps not, but does it at least help?
int p; // A

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2009, 08:27:07 PM »
Quote from: cv643d;530924
So amiga.org is going to become "video-amiga-toaster.org" now?

Unfortunately it seems this way.

BTW curious thing the aw.net fallout. MobbyG leaving and all that. Must be a coincidence, surely.

We will see what will become of amiga.org.

Offline spihunter

• Show only replies by spihunter
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2009, 08:27:55 PM »
Oh for gods sake! Just tell us who it is! Why all this drama folks!

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2009, 08:28:35 PM »
I don't like some of the negative tones in some of these replies, nor the sarcastic, or the mocking that some of the messages might be taken for.  Let's not put down the new owner before he/she/they are even introduced.

I also guessed that it was DiscreetFX long ago (maybe first), but I am not so sure anymore, but if it is, why start assuming negative things about Amiga.org becoming nothing more than a site to promote the Video Toaster products, or put down the positive impact that the NewTek Video Toaster/Flyer had for the Amiga?

Yes, I agree that the VT/Flyer had little to no effect on EU Amiga users, but it probably kept Commodore alive a few months longer with the increased sales of A4000's to the TV industry in the US and Canada, that would not have been there without the NewTek VT/Flyer.

Give the new owner(s) a chance to introduce themselves and explain their reason(s) for purchasing A.org and their plans for future changes (IF ANY), that will effect all of us.  Let's not show the new owner(s) our worst side before we even know who they are, and if it is Bill P. and company, so what, it could be so much worse.  Trust Wayne and his statements that he has turned the reins over to someone who will take good care of this place that we all enjoy and have loved for so many years and hope that it will continue for many more years to come.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline Tension

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2009, 08:31:40 PM »
Quote from: amigadave;530970
I don't like some of the negative tones in some of these replies, nor the sarcastic, or the mocking that some of the messages might be taken for.  Let's not put down the new owner before he/she/they are even introduced.

I also guessed that it was DiscreetFX long ago (maybe first), but I am not so sure anymore, but if it is, why start assuming negative things about Amiga.org becoming nothing more than a site to promote the Video Toaster products, or put down the positive impact that the NewTek Video Toaster/Flyer had for the Amiga?

Yes, I agree that the VT/Flyer had little to no effect on EU Amiga users, but it probably kept Commodore alive a few months longer with the increased sales of A4000's to the TV industry in the US and Canada, that would not have been there without the NewTek VT/Flyer.

Give the new owner(s) a chance to introduce themselves and explain their reason(s) for purchasing A.org and their plans for future changes (IF ANY), that will effect all of us.  Let's not show the new owner(s) our worst side before we even know who they are, and if it is Bill P. and company, so what, it could be so much worse.  Trust Wayne and his statements that he has turned the reins over to someone who will take good care of this place that we all enjoy and have loved for so many years and hope that it will continue for many more years to come.

Dont tell me you`re the new owner.

Offline Piru

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2009, 09:11:31 PM »
This is (quite possibly) OT, but here we go:

The problem I have with DiscreetFX (be they the new amiga.org owner or not) is that they seem to live in some distant parallel universe where VT (and a lot of other antique) still is relevant. Sure it was quite groundbreaking at its time, but surely we can't just ignore the fact that it's 2009 now? Things have moved on.

Also DiscreetFX's lack of understanding on portability issues alone begs to question their professionalism. You just can't take highly specialized early 90s 68k assembler code (with some hw banging, too) and make it portable overnight. Adding a bounty on it won't make it any more plausible.

Toaster Character Generator is just plain horrible assembler code hell. Just for the excrement and giggles I took a look, and ran away screaming:
Code: [Select]

$ find ToasterCG -iname "*.i" -o -iname "*.a" | xargs wc | tail -1
  83768  245689 2030809 total

Rewrite tens of thousands of lines of 68k assembler to portable C? Thanks, but no thanks.

And finally I find the way of DiscreetFX posting "news" quite annoying.

PS. I know I'm going to get a beating for saying all this aloud, but I felt I had to let it out.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2009, 09:30:07 PM »
@Piru

Careful when you talk about your new owners....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Pyromania

• Sent from my Quantum Computer
    • Show only replies by Pyromania
    • http://www.discreetfx.com
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2009, 09:31:25 PM »
@Piru

I really respect the hard work you have put into MorphOS. One quick question though, have you ever used the Amiga Video Toaster Flyer? I agree porting the code may be hard but it was and still is a great system for what it is. A classic way to edit and do video switching on AmigaOS. If you ever get a chance use one, you might be surprised how cool it is and it sold a ton of Amiga's in the USA and kept NewTek alive. Thanks for your perspective on this. Your a great programmer and your opinion, whether people like it or not has value.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 09:33:28 PM by Pyromania »

Offline Piru

« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2009, 09:45:50 PM »
Quote from: Pyromania;530985
@Piru

have you ever used the Amiga Video Toaster Flyer?
No

I very well know what it does and how, and I am specifically aware of the limitations. It no way matches the modern hw and sw, not ever remotely.

Offline cgutjahr

• Show only replies by cgutjahr
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2009, 09:57:27 PM »
Quote from: amigadave;530970
I don't like some of the negative tones in some of these replies, nor the sarcastic, or the mocking that some of the messages might be taken for.
Whoever bought amiga.org deserves all the spanking he can get for making a soap opera out of it ("we'll reveal our identity in seven days").

If it is indeed DiscreetFX, he freed up USD 7000 of his (and his investor's) money on Friday by cancelling the AmiZilla bounty - blaming parts of the community for that move - and then used a (probably) similar amount to buy amiga.org on Saturday. That does look bad, I'm not surprised there's so much negativity around.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 10:43:07 PM by cgutjahr »

Offline save2600

• Show only replies by save2600
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2009, 10:00:46 PM »
Wow, this thread certainly has taken a weird turn. Not knowing who the new owners are, just wanted to say a heartfelt 'thanks' to Wayne for maintaining and putting up with us all. Looking forward, let's not forget what this community is mostly about though: old skool (I really do hate that phrase, just trying to relate to some of the younger crowd) Commodore Amiga enthusiasts that like to talk about, purchase and configure original hardware. I hope the new owners respect this and in someway, continue to support said community of legacy computing users. There *is* animosity here that I do not see in other classic gaming or computer related forums and I know we can sometimes get on each others nerves from time to time (I know I can be good at this very thing), but for the sake of the transition, can we put some of it aside for a little bit? Don't want to scare off the nubiles... lol
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 10:05:43 PM by save2600 »

Offline ffastback

• Show only replies by ffastback
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2009, 10:03:30 PM »
Quote from: Argo;530943
I'm routing for ,His Holiness, the Great Spaghetti Monster!

Blessed art thou touched by His Noodly Appendage brother.  May amiga.org be so blessed.

Offline Pyromania

• Sent from my Quantum Computer
    • Show only replies by Pyromania
    • http://www.discreetfx.com
« Reply #29 from previous page: November 23, 2009, 10:16:57 PM »
@Piru

I never said it matched today's solutions, it is what it is. The only way to do video switching and non-linear video editing on a Amiga unless you have a Draco. Draco is cool too but it does not do real-time effects and switching. If you price video switchers you will find they are quite costly.