Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AO Interview - Dave Haynie  (Read 20600 times)

Description:

Offline Druideck

• Show only replies by Druideck
Re: AO Interview - Dave Haynie
« Reply #104 from previous page: October 03, 2003, 06:17:42 AM »
Sounds like Dave hasn't even tried Morphos,
if he had I think he would be more interested and excited by it. (my opinion)

I think the Amiga feel is captured and enhanced
on the PEG.

Being a long time Amigan I was skeptical until I really seen it in action.  :-D

Offline Floid

• Show only replies by Floid
« Reply #105 on: October 03, 2003, 07:11:09 AM »
tormedhammaren said,
Great interview. It's always interesting and funny to hear what Hayz means. He even answered my question.
But this thing shocked me a bit:

"So boy, did I feel stupid, being fooled by a kid, even if, as Skal guesses, he’s from Gypsy blood."
I noticed that myself.  If it's insensitive, try to remember that the whole idea of 'gypsies' is far removed from us Americans; we only get exposed to the stereotype out of fairy tales, or as genealogic trivia over a few beers.  (This coming from a guy who's only knowledge of his ancestors has them as "horse thieves."  A lot can get lost, or just stops mattering after a generation or two.)

So while it'd be great if we'd wake up and remember there's a planet full of people out there, it can easily seem like a vague pejorative to us; same reasoning that makes "raised by wolves" or "born in a barn" seem okay, we don't expect the target groups to exist.  Dumb and probably awful, but people manage to do worse.

Maybe Skal should've known better?

Offline xisp

• Show only replies by xisp
« Reply #106 on: October 03, 2003, 07:22:09 PM »
After reading those creepy stories about Commodore and un-released Amigas (A3000p, A1000p, A300...) I made a trip into that historic repository that is  The Dave Haynie Files.

I downloaded the whole 10MB archive and there is a very interesting paper in the /devcon93 folder with some ideas in it about improving the User interface.

There are some already implemented things in hacks and third-party gui toolkits. Major stuff is about enhancing the looks, and there are a lot of details never done before on an Amiga, perhaps on any system. (Menus that transform in windows with controls on it??).

Visions of future from the past...  A future that never happened.

Offline borchen

• Show only replies by borchen
« Reply #107 on: October 04, 2003, 10:25:15 AM »
Interesting. I'm not too surprised by his Peggy/MOS comments. He has stated in the past he doesn't have much more than a curiosity towards OS4/A1, so why would he be interested in a variant? His curiosity in OS4 comes from a nostalgia stand point.

This pretty well sums up my point of few towards OS4 and that's why I am going to the BeneluxAmiga Show: I'm just curious (as an ex-Amiga user)

If OS4 turns out to be nice I MIGHT even buy one of those mini-itx AmigaONE's...just for fun....

My opinion about MorphOS (not Pegasos: that's 'just' hardware): it's not real Amiga, just as WinUAE is not (ow...I feel flames/trolls coming)  ;-)

As someone that's looking into the today Amiga-market (or what's left of it) it's plain SILLY that it's divided into two camps...it's like two dogs fighting for 1 small crumb of food...and both starving...

I also understand that OS4 is not going to run on a Pegasos-board: another SILLY thing...

If things continue like this both AmigaONE/OS4 and MorphOS/Pegasos are going down the drain... :-(

This is just my humble opinion....

Offline logicalheart

• Show only replies by logicalheart
« Reply #108 on: October 04, 2003, 08:36:12 PM »
WONDERFUL!  Thank you, it was great to read it, and I'm saving, printing, and spreading copies.  Yay!

Offline Tension

« Reply #109 on: July 05, 2010, 11:35:20 PM »
This threead made for very interestin reading.

Is there a way to see the original interview, as the links are all broken (probably stuck on Xoops)

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #110 on: July 05, 2010, 11:51:06 PM »
I hope this got migrated to the new system, but there's the Wayback Machine in the meantime.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #111 on: July 06, 2010, 01:20:24 PM »
Quote from: Matt_H;569141
I hope this got migrated to the new system, but there's the Wayback Machine in the meantime.

I'm not sure if it did as the link still points to an old xoops article id. As a rule, the migration scripts updated links in posts to point to the correct place after stuff was imported.
int p; // A

Offline drHirudo

• Show only replies by drHirudo
    • http://hirudov.com
« Reply #112 on: July 06, 2010, 02:11:02 PM »
Quote from: Tension;569140
This threead made for very interestin reading.

Is there a way to see the original interview, as the links are all broken (probably stuck on Xoops)

There is new interview with Dave Haynie in the latest Amiga Future magazine. I read it and it is very interesting - he talks about how he got involved with the Amiga, what projects they had and what got on hold by the Commodore managers. It is much more recent than the one linked here.

Offline yogisumo

• Show only replies by yogisumo
« Reply #113 on: July 06, 2010, 07:47:48 PM »
I can't read this.  Tried both Firefox and Chrome.

The requested URL /modules/sections/index.php was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #114 on: July 06, 2010, 07:49:40 PM »
Quote from: yogisumo;569260
I can't read this.  Tried both Firefox and Chrome.

The requested URL /modules/sections/index.php was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

See here:

Quote from: Karlos;569215
I'm not sure if it did as the link still points to an old xoops article id. As a rule, the migration scripts updated links in posts to point to the correct place after stuff was imported.
int p; // A

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #115 on: July 06, 2010, 08:27:22 PM »
There's an American bloke working here who has Romani blood in him, so it can't be so rare as that or were all the American Gypsies driven force driven to Oz?

Quote from: Floid;483978
tormedhammaren said,
I noticed that myself.  If it's insensitive, try to remember that the whole idea of 'gypsies' is far removed from us Americans; we only get exposed to the stereotype out of fairy tales, or as genealogic trivia over a few beers.  (This coming from a guy who's only knowledge of his ancestors has them as "horse thieves."  A lot can get lost, or just stops mattering after a generation or two.)

So while it'd be great if we'd wake up and remember there's a planet full of people out there, it can easily seem like a vague pejorative to us; same reasoning that makes "raised by wolves" or "born in a barn" seem okay, we don't expect the target groups to exist.  Dumb and probably awful, but people manage to do worse.

Maybe Skal should've known better?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline kolla

« Reply #116 on: July 06, 2010, 11:19:33 PM »
Quote from: persia;569264
There's an American bloke working here who has Romani blood in him, so it can't be so rare as that or were all the American Gypsies driven force driven to Oz?

You are aware that you here directed questions to a posting that is more than 7 years old? :laughing:
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #117 on: July 07, 2010, 02:16:49 AM »
Who last checked the board 22/06/10, so it's possible he'll see the message!

Quote from: kolla;569282
You are aware that you here directed questions to a posting that is more than 7 years old? :laughing:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.