Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: So X1000 was there, any pics of it running?  (Read 10441 times)

Description:

Offline koaftder

• Show only replies by koaftder
    • http://koft.net
Re: So X1000 was there, any pics of it running?
« Reply #59 from previous page: June 21, 2010, 10:11:17 AM »
Quote from: Tomas;565715
If you actually bothered to look at the pictures you would discover that it was hooked up with a standard PCI card.
I would also assume that drivers are not really optimized yet.
Hyperion/A-Eon also stated that parts of the OS was still running in debug mode since port is quite a bit from being finished yet.

I saw that and it's irrelevant. It took ages to refresh a drawer with some items in it. That ain't an issue with the video interface being PCI w/ SVGA. Blitting icons on a 286 with windows 3.1 would blow that mess out of the water. That machine is straight up running like a dog. Don't make excuses, that demonstration was pathetic. X11 with all it's insanity plus SVGA driver on a 700MHz pIII would put that to shame with gnome. First impressions.

Offline koaftder

• Show only replies by koaftder
    • http://koft.net
« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2010, 10:22:11 AM »
The A1X1K, the "holy grail", a total failure upon first impression. XMOS chip not even on the board, a thing that earlier they spent *half* their marketing BS focusing upon. The promised case, not there. The hyped keyboard, I won't go there. Timberwolf, hah, don't run that, it'll crash the machine. Price? Astronomical. What a joke. This was the event hyped for *MONTHS*, and they didn't deliver.

What makes you think they'll deliver later on?

Also, summer is like a day away, no more excuses on the CPU. NDA is obviously a load, put up or shut up.

Offline TCMSLP

• Show only replies by TCMSLP
    • http://www.coherer.net
« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2010, 10:57:39 AM »
The screen refresh / icon painting didn't seem too slow to me.   On booting it was obvious it's an early release, loads of debug info (some of which they quickly hid from the public).  

Given the size of A-EON, the money needed to develop this board and the (tiny?) budget they must have for promotion, I think they did a fantastic job.  

We should be celebrating Amiga and its offspring (X1000, NatAmi, MiniMig, Icaros etc) and be happy we have a future; not criticising every person/project/company that invests time, money and effort to develop and promote the platform.

Sure, the X1000 won't be cheap - but then small scale production will never compete with the economies of scale of the Intel world.  At the high end we have the X1000, at the low end the Sam 460 (?); neither are 'cheap' but when you see the money people pay to tower A1200's, add PPC accelerators, Busboards, GFX cards, Ethernet, USB ... is such a cost really an issue?

If the OS issues are resolved and A-EON / Hyperion get the developers on board, this has real potential.   As always the early adopters will pay a premium but I'd hope if successful the cost will reduce over time.

*shrug*
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 04:49:18 PM by TCMSLP »
A1200 50MHz 68030 16Mb, PCMCIA Ethernet, Indivision AGA MkIIcr
http://www.coherer.net Coherer: Electro!

Offline AmigaNG

• Show only replies by AmigaNG
« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2010, 01:15:55 PM »
That a cool thing that I did'nt notice, the sig on the motherboard.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs160.snc4/37332_10150217141715173_546790172_13206131_1365680_n.jpg

Any way, this is a quick Transcript of What Trevor said:-

Welcome to Hyperion Entertainment , A-eon and A-cube, the premier, the only manufacturers of Amiga Os 4.1.

Today we are here to talk about the new AmigaOne X1000 and I know there a lot of question about it and what we got today is the hardware team from  Varisys, we got Hyperion Entertainment, Ben Hermans, got two software engineering the Frieden brothers, my business partner is here somewhere but most likely at the bar, and I'm here Trevor Dickinson.  

So welcome to the show, the AmigaONE X1000 was conceived about upto 2 years ago, by Ben Hermans and then approached me, “how about making a new computer for OS4?” , sound like a good idea, I collected Amiga computers, if anyone knows me I've got....pause....a lot. Probably about 150 computers in my basement and about 50 off them are Amiga of all variety.  But as you can see I'm very sensible, stable, well manned person, so when he said how about a new Amiga, that would be great. I would love to have new Amiga computer so it was a lucky meeting because I was actually in Belgium with Micheal Battilana from Cloanto who I was doing business with and he had a meeting that day with Ben and how about going out for a beer, and that was the day that Amiga Inc issued the law suit on the boys and so Ben said, “oh its a great day, I got this law suit and I got to meet you too” Any way long story Ben started looking at possible Hardware partners, he actually found a cpu partner first. No more info about the CPU, its not going to be said today.  
 They recommended a few company and it soon became apparent that Varisys would be a better fit for us, they where successful, they had a good track record, they have been in business for a while and they also close by, they where in Europe. When we meet them we had good fit, personality, weren't just a massive company that would just override us, and become a real partner and form a real partnership, that for AmigaWorld posters by the way.  

So about just over 2 years ago we started work on the project even before A-eon was formed and before we raised any money before we got anything together product wise. 2 years ago we started the work, 18 months ago we started the project and all the physical stuff  started just 18 months ago, so they have been working on the hardware for 18 months we actually took that time layout the boards do all the design work, do the testing, and the testing very extensive they got a fantastic track record of supplying reliable products, and putting out quality product. So they wouldn't give it us until they were happy that it works so at the end of the last year the first boards went to the Frieden brothers, they had it in their hands since last year just as the teaser site when up, which you all loved didn't you! I thought it was fun.  

Nemo motherboards have now also gone to the hardware/software developers for device drivers I like to say this system has been running for 6 months (shakes head left to right)...but it has for six months been running os4 but only in the last couple of days has it actually booted properly off the hard drive, so even this morning I wasn't sure it was going to work but the Frieden brothers turned up with the kit with the board with the hardware with a hard disk drive booted it up and thank goodness it work so it does work still running off debug software so its not as smooth as it should be but you know Hypeion they will deliver, you know they will get the software working just right, that why were running a beta testing program as well.  The beta tester will make sure we dont have a amigaone xe, xcell problem, the AmigaONE X1000 they go out and the machine works high quality product and bring the Amiga back where it should be, 25 years after the original machine was launched you have a product that a last your be able to say Yes this is an Amiga, Yes its good quality, Yes it works, it may not be grand braking as the original Amiga but for us enthusiast, me in particular, its deferentially an Amiga computer.  

So just like to say thank you for coming, we have  Varisys here the Managing Director and the Technical Director they will help you out, the Director of Hyperion Ben Hermans, in his spare time, I was going to say lawyer but that sounds  terrible, he actually properties developer, he got some properties, that's his real job my other business partner Tony Moorley is somewhere, problaly still at the bar, the  Frieden brothers are hear somewhere, hiding, two Acube  managing partner are here Ricko and Max, so you want to buy a X1000 today (shake head left to right) but you can always buy a Sam they make excellent products, showing off there 460 which is the new Sam 1Ghz processor so its getting up their, I would say it brings the sam with more hardware better than the Pegasos at 1Ghzs  today the Pegasos is probably the better machine but the new Sam with the modern hardware is better than the Pegasos, Yes (nod from Acube) yep. So if you got any questions do ask them.

I would love to have new Amiga computer so it was a lucky meeting because I was actually in Belgium with Micheal Battilana from Cloanto who I was doing business with and he had a meeting that day with Ben and how about going out for a beer, and that was the day that Amiga Inc issued the law suit on the boys and so Ben said, “oh its a great day, I got this law suit and I got to meet you too” Any way long story Ben started looking at possible Hardware partners, he actually found a cpu partner first. No more info about the CPU, its not going to be said today.  
 They recommended a few company and it soon became apparent that Varisys would be a better fit for us, they where successful, they had a good track record, they have been in business for a while and they also close by, they where in Europe. When we meet them we had good fit, personality, weren't just a massive company that would just override us, and become a real partner and form a real partnership, that for AmigaWorld posters by the way.  

So about just over 2 years ago we started work on the project even before A-eon was formed and before we raised any money before we got anything together product wise. 2 years ago we started the work, 18 months ago we started the project and all the physical stuff  started just 18 months ago, so they have been working on the hardware for 18 months we actually took that time layout the boards do all the design work, do the testing, and the testing very extensive they got a fantastic track record of supplying reliable products, and putting out quality product. So they wouldn't give it us until they were happy that it works so at the end of the last year the first boards went to the Frieden brothers, they had it in their hands since last year just as the teaser site when up, which you all loved didn't you! I thought it was fun.  

Nemo motherboards have now also gone to the hardware/software developers for device drivers I like to say this system has been running for 6 months (shakes head left to right)...but it has for six months been running os4 but only in the last couple of days has it actually booted properly off the hard drive, so even this morning I wasn't sure it was going to work but the Frieden brothers turned up with the kit with the board with the hardware with a hard disk drive booted it up and thank goodness it work so it does work still running off debug software so its not as smooth as it should be but you know Hypeion they will deliver, you know they will get the software working just right, that why were running a beta testing program as well.  The beta tester will make sure we dont have a amigaone xe, xcell problem, the AmigaONE X1000 they go out and the machine works high quality product and bring the Amiga back where it should be, 25 years after the original machine was launched you have a product that a last your be able to say Yes this is an Amiga, Yes its good quality, Yes it works, it may not be grand braking as the original Amiga but for us enthusiast, me in particular, its deferentially an Amiga computer.  

So just like to say thank you for coming, we have  Varisys here the Managing Director and the Technical Director they will help you out, the Director of Hyperion Ben Hermans, in his spare time, I was going to say lawyer but that sounds  terrible, he actually properties developer, he got some properties, that's his real job my other business partner Tony Moorley is somewhere, problaly still at the bar, the  Frieden brothers are hear somewhere, hiding, two Acube  managing partner are here Ricko and Max, so you want to buy a X1000 today (shake head left to right) but you can always buy a Sam they make excellent products, showing off there 460 which is the new Sam 1Ghz processor so its getting up their, I would say it brings the sam with more hardware better than the Pegasos at 1Ghzs  today the Pegasos is probably the better machine but the new Sam with the modern hardware is better than the Pegasos, Yes (nod from Acube) yep. So if you got any questions do ask them.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 01:20:00 PM by AmigaNG »

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2010, 02:02:54 PM »
@TCMSLP

I have yet to see any price reductions on Amiga hardware over the past couple of years.  I've seen price reductions for the Efika and cheap Macs to run MorphOS, but that's it.

Don't hold your breath waiting for price reductions on the X1000.....

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
« Reply #64 on: June 21, 2010, 02:12:56 PM »
Quote from: Tomas;565715
If you actually bothered to look at the pictures you would discover that it was hooked up with a standard PCI card.

Oh puuhleeze, I had PCs back in the 90's with "standard PCI card" that ran Quake much faster than 4 fps. and those PCs ran at a fraction of the (stated) clock speed of the X1000. PCI should be just fine for a desktop and a game, or a boing ball demo - which by the way that has to be the slowest boing ball demo I've ever seen. Even my Atari 800 could run it faster. Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhBzmnH_fRQ

I would also assume that drivers are not really optimized yet.
Hyperion/A-Eon also stated that parts of the OS was still running in debug mode since port is quite a bit from being finished yet.

It's time people stopped making excuses for A-eon. They should either come clean, or just shut up until they actually have made some progress. I wonder what the people who came to the show not knowing about the Amiga booth thought when they saw this supposedly up-to-date "Amiga" running slower than an Atari 8-bitter?

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #65 on: June 21, 2010, 02:17:06 PM »
Quote from: AmigaNG;566092
That a cool thing that I did'nt notice, the sig on the motherboard.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs160.snc4/37332_10150217141715173_546790172_13206131_1365680_n.jpg

What is that sig?
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline vidarh

• Show only replies by vidarh
« Reply #66 on: June 21, 2010, 02:38:05 PM »
Quote from: motrucker;566009
Its a sad day when the old Commodore roll outs look absolutely professional by comparison.

Commodore, at its peak, was one of the largest computer companies in the world. The first ever to reach $1 billion in sales.

Expecting A-Eon to measure up to Commodore before they even have a revenue stream is pretty ridiculous.

Offline vidarh

• Show only replies by vidarh
« Reply #67 on: June 21, 2010, 02:53:53 PM »
Quote from: koaftder;566064
The A1X1K, the "holy grail", a total failure upon first impression. XMOS chip not even on the board, a thing that earlier they spent *half* their marketing BS focusing upon.

Oh, noes, somebody focused on getting the important things working rather than completing population of components for something that Varisys has done umpteen times before (well, 16 times at least; noticed that Varisys is the company that designs the developer boards for XMOS?).

The promised case, not there. The hyped keyboard, I won't go there.

Oh, noes... Somebody are focusing on what matters instead of worrying about getting a logo stamped a few places. How horrible.

Timberwolf, hah, don't run that, it'll crash the machine.

Oh, noes... Alpha software running on a new, still unfinished port isn't stable... Who'd have thought that could ever be the case?

Price? Astronomical. What a joke. This was the event hyped for *MONTHS*, and they didn't deliver.

Boo hoo, so it's not to your liking.. For my part I'm still intending to buy one.

As for the hype, you must be oversensitive to this kind of stuff, because from A-Eon/Hyperion this event has hardly been mentioned.

What makes you think they'll deliver later on?

Well, the fact that I don't think they've failed to deliver so far is a good indication. They've been a little bit late on a couple of occasions, fair enough. Then again I'm a software developer - I never trust release dates.

Also, summer is like a day away, no more excuses on the CPU. NDA is obviously a load, put up or shut up.

Yes, I'm sure they're just withholding that information because they find it amusing to get bashed by naysayers in the various forums.

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #68 on: June 21, 2010, 05:31:57 PM »
its worth noting that it was running in debug mode.

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #69 on: June 21, 2010, 06:22:09 PM »
Quote from: vidarh;566117
Commodore, at its peak, was one of the largest computer companies in the world. The first ever to reach $1 billion in sales.

Expecting A-Eon to measure up to Commodore before they even have a revenue stream is pretty ridiculous.

Expecting A-Eon *to even get* a revenue stream from this offering is pretty ridiculous IMHO...
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline kolla

« Reply #70 on: June 21, 2010, 07:38:19 PM »
Quote from: redrumloa;565987
That could be said about the alternative too, no?

What alternative? Do you consider OS4 the only alternative? I do not :)
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline kolla

« Reply #71 on: June 21, 2010, 07:48:15 PM »
Quote from: Piru;566035
It has more point than wasting resources/effort on insanely expensive custom HW, though.

Sure, allthough, with some luck the failure of the X1000 will burn Hermans and Hyperion so badly that they perhaps reconsider wasting their lives on screwing around as they have lately.

Also, most of the Mac HW we're adding support for is very similar to each other. Adding support for them doesn't take excessive resources.
Till now, perhaps - but considering what hardware there is left to support, hardware with either wireless or card slots, this may very well change.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 11:40:39 PM by kolla »
---
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline rockape

• Show only replies by rockape
    • http://lincsamiga.org.uk/
« Reply #72 on: June 21, 2010, 10:58:21 PM »
Hi,

Thats it, after reading about the development of a new Amiga and the childish trollind,drivel and spite responses I'm out of here.

Withdraw my membership to A.Org please.

Regards, Michael

aka rockape
"A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life wrote a blank check made payable to \'Their Country\' for an amount of \'up to and including their life\'.

Offline Pyromania

• Sent from my Quantum Computer
    • Show only replies by Pyromania
    • http://www.discreetfx.com
« Reply #73 on: June 21, 2010, 11:12:19 PM »
Quote from: rockape;566248
Hi,

Thats it, after reading about the development of a new Amiga and the childish trollind,drivel and spite responses I'm out of here.

Withdraw my membership to A.Org please.

Regards, Michael

aka rockape

If you think someone violated the TOS please report it to a mod. We sometimes don't have time to read 100% of the posts. I for one think A-Eon will silence all critics by shipping a great high end X1000 that runs fast and is cutting edge. It should really show off Amiga OS 4.1 to the world and I think that is the point.

Offline kolla

« Reply #74 on: June 21, 2010, 11:40:17 PM »
Some people decided amigaworld.net wasn't enough, and had to spread their insanity over here as well.
---
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox