Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What is your opinion or AROS and why?  (Read 5142 times)

Description:

Offline haywirepc

• Show all replies
Re: What is your opinion or AROS and why?
« on: July 07, 2012, 01:28:42 PM »
I've posted this many times, does anyone remember the earlier linux days? Back then you had to choose from specific lists of hardware (sound cards, video cards network cards) because only so many had drivers written for them.

In short, you really had to tailor the hardware in the machine you wanted to use to what was supported to avoid alot of hair pulling. If you took the time to use supported hardware, you had a pleasant experience.

Aros is much the same at this time because they can't support every video card/chipset, soundcard or sound chip set/network card/chipset.

You can use just about any computer, so long as you use a supported video, lan and sound card. I am now using (I think) an fx550, sblive and intel 100 network card in a 3.4ghz pc with 4 gigs ram. Its a very snappy and slick experience with this setup.

Most of my time is spent on linux these days, but I still keep watching aros develop. Its come so far since I started using it...  Been playing with it since right after the first native floppy boot disk became available.  Now with the distros available each with lots of software, its becoming really awesome.

I would like to learn to program some demo scene style demos for AROS eventually, but mostly I just use it for fun atm.