Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bounty for Directory Opus Magellan II?  (Read 5837 times)

Description:

Offline lempkee

• Show all replies
    • http://www.amigaguru.com
Re: Bounty for Directory Opus Magellan II?
« on: January 23, 2012, 11:52:00 AM »
Quote from: Kronos;677106
I guess one should 1st clear up in what stage these sources would be.

Pure C or some 68k-ASM thrown into it ?

Documented or wild spaghetti-code ?

Uses undocumented features of AmigaOS or just the public API ?

Next step would be deciding what the goal is here:

- just another desktop for AROS (Scalos has just been ported)
- act as an addon to Wanderer
- completly replace Wanderer on AROS-distros

I'll answer you m8.
1:Its Mix of C and Asm (heavily on ASM though)
2:Its Spaghetti
3:Its Both OS friendly(API) and non friendly.

@all

as i have tried to say before and on AW, this is not for beginners at all, GuruMeditation bought a liscense for OS4 version of Dopus Mag many years ago and even though there was many talented ASM developers who'd happily help failed or figured out that it would need an insane amount of work and time.

i'd happily support this bounty but i want to see goals and i want to know the actual guys who will work on it, saying Opensource won't mean much to me as while it might be positive i still think we need dedicated developers for it (atleast until there is a rewrite etc of the code).

Keep in mind that DopusMAG takes over the whole workbench, all funtions gets mapped etc, yes you can start it as an app/tool type of thing after you have booted up the system (and workbench/wanderer/ambient etc)but it still maps the OS stuff as well as add quite a lot of new functions aswell (or atleast many of them was "new" back when DopusMag1 and 2 was in its heyday.

@takemehomegranny

a lot must have changed in MorphOS1.4 -> 2.7 (and soon 3.0) for sure so i am not entirely sure if dopusMAG2 works as good as it used to run on current morphos versions compared to back in the day.
Also yes, both OS4 and Morphos has indeed used ideas based on Dopus4,Dopus Mag etc but its far from the whole package really, but then again........
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 11:56:21 AM by lempkee »
Whats up with all the hate!

Offline lempkee

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 12:53:57 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;677148
You really can't group OS4's workbench together with MorphOS's Ambient in this context; they play in different leagues altogether, they are miles apart. OS4's workbench might have improvements compared to the original, but it's still "only" workbench, and maybe Magellan 2 may be useful here in the same way it was useful on MorphOS versions 1.0->1.4, but not so much in MorphOS 2.7...

From a MorphOS user's perspective, it would certainly make much more sense to add whatever feature to Ambient that you miss from the Magellan 2 WB replacement. And my question remains - what features are those exactly?

You are aware of that DopusMAgellan is a Wb replacement right? , much like Ambient is, its a feature packed tool/lister for anything and everything.
I don't know if you are still stuck in 2002-4 but MorphOS has been about having AmigaOS backwards compability while OS4 went forward but i highly doubt that Morphos inner system and os calls stuff havent changed since 1.4, dopus might work allright but hardly anywhere 100%.
DopusMagellan use hardware banging stuff and is doing illegal OS calls etc.

But ofcourse, one can always say like Olaf did, it works in emulation mode, hardly the same if you ask me.

As for what features is missing in what OS etc, i can't really tell anymore as i havent used Magellan since 2002-2003 (which btw was ON MorphOS and with the hack fix).

other than that, i agree very much so on your last point, instead of porting /re doing all of DopusMAG it would be easier to just add these features to the filelisters etc we have today (may it be Workbench or Ambient etc).

Offline lempkee

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 01:30:49 PM »
Quote from: kolla;677151
How many people were working on DOpus Magellan? How may people are working on Ambient? How long did it take to develop DOpus Magellan? How many years has Ambient been around?

No idea really, but i guess i could just look in the manual (Dopus Mag).
As for how long it was developed, first one came in like 1995 , not sure though, second one came a couple years later, GP Soft stopped developing in 1997 or there abouts and came out as a freebie on a Amiga magazine later on (CU Amiga or AmigaFormat.. not sure which one it was really).

Ambient has atleast been in development for 8-10 years now or so now right? (not sure anymore, time go to fast and i am getting older every day)

Fail to see your point except for that GPSoft developers probably worked full time and had money, that matters indeed but i still fail to see your point.