Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bounty for Directory Opus Magellan II?  (Read 5830 times)

Description:

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show all replies
Re: Bounty for Directory Opus Magellan II?
« on: January 23, 2012, 10:30:25 AM »
Quote from: OlafS3;677107
From all camps? I think it could be possible

I think it already runs on MorphOS?

I wouldn't know myself though, had no reason to try, since the MorphOS workbench (Ambient) already implements most of the key features I would most likely be wanting to use from Magellan, so...
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 11:11:06 AM »
Quote from: OlafS3;677114
no it does not.

I guess I'll have to take your word for it then, but at least Magellan 2 *did* run on MorphOS. It was very commonly used as an Ambient replacement back in the early MorphOS days, since the Ambient back then was quite limited:

http://jpv.wmhost.com/dopus-magellan2/ (also see the FAQ link from that page for details in tweaking)

I know that this linked-to article was for MorphOS 1.4, but is there really any reason to believe it won't run on MorphOS 2? If someone has bothered to try, please make a post! ;)

It is propably imitating some of the features but it is not running Magellan.

Well, as I said, for my own perspective, most of the Magellan 2 features and functionality that *I personally* would be interested in, are already integrated native in the MorphOS workbench called Ambient, in a very nice way. Maybe it would help to rise interest from MorphOS users if you (or someone else) would compile a list of the benefits of choosing Magellan 2 instead of Ambient?

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 12:37:10 PM »
Quote from: lempkee;677142
Also yes, both OS4 and Morphos has indeed used ideas based on Dopus4,Dopus Mag etc but its far from the whole package really, but then again........

You really can't group OS4's workbench together with MorphOS's Ambient in this context; they play in different leagues altogether, they are miles apart. OS4's workbench might have improvements compared to the original, but it's still "only" workbench, and maybe Magellan 2 may be useful here in the same way it was useful on MorphOS versions 1.0->1.4, but not so much in MorphOS 2.7...

From a MorphOS user's perspective, it would certainly make much more sense to add whatever feature to Ambient that you miss from the Magellan 2 WB replacement. And my question remains - what features are those exactly?

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 09:19:52 AM »
Quote from: XDelusion;681407
Dual Lister Windows for one.

You can have as many listers as you want, or at least probably a lot more than you will ever need.

Built in FTP directory.

Will be there in MorphOS 3 (encrypted even)...