Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WinUAE exposing how crappy Windows is  (Read 14195 times)

Description:

Offline AmigaHeretic

• Show all replies
Re: WinUAE exposing how crappy Windows is
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2010, 05:04:46 PM »
Quote from: tribz;570291
251k? seriously. You think that will slow down your PC?

No I think it will speed it up.

That was a single program.  Like I said a dozen times already if you are the kind of person that installs and uninstalls program to test them out all the time your will slowly fill you system with crap and you have no way to clean it other than a reformat/reinstall.

That crap that is left behind on that test system is their forever now.   It's seems like there would be a better way.
A3000D (16mhz, 2MB Chip, 4MB Fast, SCSI (300+MB), SuperGen Genlock, Kick 3.1)
Back in my day, we didn\'t have water. We only had Oxygen and Hydrogen, and we\'d just have to shove them together.

Offline AmigaHeretic

• Show all replies
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2010, 06:54:23 PM »
Quote from: Arkhan;570315

so all of the M$ Haters can go walk into traffic. :)  

Show me the following for another OS in a situation where the programs will all run without having to dick around for hours until it works, and maybe then the whole "OMG M$ SUx0r" thing will have some validity.

There are no great, functional, nice to use alternatives to alot of the stuff I do with Windows.  Trying to find and use "better alternatives" turned out to be more work.   Less bang for my buck!

forget that crap.

I'm not saying there is anything better than Windows.  I said I use it 98% of the time.

Just because it's the best choice doesn't mean it ain't dog shit.

It's the 2010 and we are still dealing with crap design decisions from 1980's.  If there were virtual goats Windows would blow them.
Back in my day, we didn\'t have water. We only had Oxygen and Hydrogen, and we\'d just have to shove them together.

Offline AmigaHeretic

• Show all replies
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2010, 07:07:28 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;570330
Would this be the same fedonka that utterly failed to even boot past decompressing the kernel on my PC, upon which Ubuntu and debian work just fine?

;)

lol The "fedonky show".

Offline AmigaHeretic

• Show all replies
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2010, 08:04:12 PM »
Quote from: KThunder;570340
what crap decisions from the 80's still exist in windows7 and a modern pc? Not the registry, that didn't come until much later.

Windows is a very fast, capable, stable, and very cool OS. I think 7 is easily worth what MS charges for it. All the arguments about the supposed backwardness of windows are gone.

All you have to argue about now is some piddly little registry thing you don't even understand and have no proof of any effect on your system (none)

1. Windows Genuine Advantage
This Win7/Vista feature is designed to combat piracy, but instead it wages war against common sense. If WGA believes that you aren't running a legitimate copy of Windows, it takes a variety of actions against you. In earlier iterations, it could in essence shut off your access to the operating system.

2. The Registry
The Registry is a giant, incomprehensible database of Windows settings, preferences, behaviours, and more. When you use a dialog box to make a change to how Windows works, generally it's making a change to the Registry --- often dialog boxes are mere front ends to the Registry. But to make many changes, you need to edit the Registry, and it's a tough, dangerous thing to do. Other operating systems, including Mac OS X and Linux, don't have Registries, and they work fine. It's time for Microsoft to finally kill the Registry.

3. ActiveX Controls
ActiveX controls are essentially applets delivered via Internet Explorer. They don't, however, run in other browsers. And they have the potential to be malicious. Once upon a time they served some use, but no longer. Given the growth of AJAX and Web 2.0 sites, it's clear that sophisticated applications can be delivered via the browser without ActiveX. Microsoft should finally pull the plug on this technology.

4. User Account Control
This is clearly the unanimous choice for a feature that needs to bite the dust. Sure, it offers security...but at far too high an annoyance cost, with pointless pop-ups and ridiculous intrusions. Microsoft needs to kill UAC and start from scratch.

blah blah blah and on and on....

Offline AmigaHeretic

• Show all replies
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2010, 08:19:58 PM »
Quote from: Arkhan;570349
Their help desk is open 24 hours.  If something happens, you call them, its fixed.  The end.   That or you just enter your product key in a box and you're good to go.  You can't blame a company for protecting their software.  That's dense.

It's incomprehensible because you aren't really suppose to read it.  It's there.  There is software in place to handle it.  Ignore that it's there.  Stop touching it.  Typing regedit and seeing all that crazy jargon is cool and all, but if you have NFI what you're doing, stay away.

All OS's have something similar to "the registry", and other finnicky little things.  Quit having tunnel vision against the M$ Machine.  OSX has annoying file permissions you have to go repair sometimes, and that periodic daily weekly monthly cleanup nonsense.

Every OS has this shit.  If it didn't, it wouldn't be a very personal computer.  It would forget who you are, what you did, and what you setup every time you reboot the thing.

Pull the plug and remove all legacy support.  GOOD IDEA.  

Alot of businesses that run on SQLServer and use M$ use IE/ActiveX.  Just because you don't use it when you're dicking off on the internet doesn't mean it's not useful.

This is for people who don't know what's going on.  You CAN turn it off you know.  It takes all of 10 seconds to deactivate.   You can edit the registry and do Big O notation , but can't find the button to turn off UAC?

euhhhhh

Sounds like you agree it is all wasted space and should be gotten rid of.

Offline AmigaHeretic

• Show all replies
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2010, 09:24:31 PM »
Quote from: outlawal2;570358
Yep and that is just about the only thing you have said worth repeating...  
And this STUPID WINDOWS BASHING thread goes on...

Get a life buddy...  You are boring me..  
And wasting my valuable time that I like to use reading things that are USEFUL

Wasting your time?  You choose to post in here.  Besides it's Microsofts fault you have to respond.  They make that craptastic OS not me.

I point out flaws and you guys go.  "Yeah, there are flaws but here's how to work around them."  For every flaw there is a 23 step work around.  See, MS is perfect!

I don't think you guys are idiots I'm sure you know what a piece of crap the registry is.  Only a blind person wouldn't know there are 1 billion google hits for "registry is garbage"

Yet, what kind of discussion do I get from your guys? Uhh, well, just pretend it isn't there.  Great solution. :huh::crazy:

Offline AmigaHeretic

• Show all replies
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2010, 09:41:38 PM »
Quote from: Arkhan;570365
Nothing craptastic about it.

It's only a problem if you make it one.

To everybody else its "thing doing stuff that I don't need to bother with".  Then they go do their business and walk away. :)

Nope. Not unless you want to fix something.  I guess an expert like you just reinstalls Windows when they have an issue?  Oh, wait, you've never had a problem. Right?

Offline AmigaHeretic

• Show all replies
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2010, 10:02:48 PM »
Quote from: the_leander;570377
One of the really nice features that Windows has is it's repair option - the ability to roll back to your last previously known good settings.

It's so good that even Linux distributions are now offering similar facilities that are every bit as user friendly.

And of course, there are always rolling backups for when you really do stuff up.

You may wish to look into these.

You're joking right?

http://tinyurl.com/38xmwna

Offline AmigaHeretic

• Show all replies
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2010, 10:03:52 PM »
Quote from: the_leander;570377

Running as Admin/root is retarded beyond words.

Yeah, I mean why should "I" be in control of my computer?  How "retarded" of me.

Offline AmigaHeretic

• Show all replies
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2010, 11:12:52 PM »
Quote from: Arkhan;570383
I've been working with Windows since I was 7.  15 years of dealing with windows since pre-1995 and having a great time with it, fixing tons of issues for myself and others.... yeah I guess you could say I'm an expert.  More so now since I get paid to lolwindows.

You're probably so en-grained in Windows you can't see a different way.  

Look at the situation with Windows.  I install Office, Visual Studio, Bioshock, my Zune software, Money, Streets and Trips, Song Smith.   (All MS products I choose so you can't blame 3rd parties ;-) )

Let say, Windows get's f-ed up, Windows restore won't work, etc.

Does it really make sense that all your Apps should be so tied into the OS that if you have to reinstall Windows you have to reinstall and reset up every single application on your computer?

To me apps should be separate from the OS.  That's one of the biggest fails of the registry and the MS philosophy.

I believe you should be able to blow away your OS, do a reinstall, and have your program remain mostly unaffected. ( of course you'll always need to do any updates that programs may have required that are newer than the OS install disc/DL had)

Offline AmigaHeretic

• Show all replies
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2010, 11:45:15 PM »
Quote from: Arkhan;570405

I just think your complaints are pretty boring and girly.

every OS is guilty of losing apps if you don't back it all up and something goes horribly wrong.

Boring and girly?  WTF?

When Windows goes down, so goes everything.

You can't back up "Office" for example on Windows.  There are a few apps that will let you move the folder and it still work, but those are few.

A typical Windows Tech day is reformat, Reinstall OS, Reinstall all the Apps, re-setup all the apps.

If the OS goes down it should be separate from the Apps.  That will never happen when every single setting for every single program is in the registry.

Offline AmigaHeretic

• Show all replies
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2010, 11:51:36 PM »
Quote from: halvliter'n;570406
I do not really remember. But every time I try to update, install or uninstall drivers and programs, I get told that i must have administrative rights, and it's virtually every day.
But others who use my computer get not use the admin account of course, if I am not inattentive then.

It's really convenient when a friend plugs in his USB thumb drive to quickly grab a file and you have to reconfigure your whole OS.

Offline AmigaHeretic

• Show all replies
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2010, 12:08:29 AM »
Quote from: Arkhan;570413
Whaa whaaaa the UAC is hard.
Whaaa the registry is too registery for me
whaaaaaa GENuine advantage is unfair!
WHAAAAAA

ffs, these are complaints that 60 year old n00bs dont even gripe about.

protip: try the repair option.

see: protip.

Oh because Linux , osx, and AmigaOS are totally void of this problem.

Totally.

stop using windows as your scapegoat.
And now you're just being a moron.

I shove USB nonsense into my PC 24/7 all the time, I swap with friends, we shove em in.  Instant success.

Oh, keep it up!  I'm about to whip out my Win7 CD and urinate all over it!  Then we'll see who's cryin'.

Offline AmigaHeretic

• Show all replies
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2010, 12:13:04 AM »
Rember when MS bitch slapped black people?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=372262

What a great company.

Offline AmigaHeretic

• Show all replies
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2010, 12:15:12 AM »
Quote from: Trev;570418
This thread has turned decidedly homoerotic. Before you know it, you'll be cage fighting.

We just need to photoshop each others faces on DoomMaster's body and then it will be the perfect thread. :)

Offline AmigaHeretic

• Show all replies
« Reply #29 from previous page: July 15, 2010, 12:26:19 AM »
Quote from: Trev;570423
Or you could stage the cage fight inside a greased Amiga 2000 chassis. EDIT: With camouflage face paint, of course.

He'd make you wear these in his A2000

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_uklineVK_iY/R2X193uIH_I/AAAAAAAABzs/5tO3eIQ644w/s400/desert-camo-hip-brief.jpg