Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WinUAE exposing how crappy Windows is  (Read 14178 times)

Description:

Offline KThunder

• Show all replies
Re: WinUAE exposing how crappy Windows is
« on: July 10, 2010, 03:04:04 PM »
Complex programs on the pc interact with the os and hardware in ways that a simple installer or no installer would not setup properly. This is like comparing a simple dos or c64 program with a multitasking AREXX aware program on the amiga. If it isn't setup properly it won't work.

Since a good proportion of amiga programs won't even install on the hard drive without some pretty decent effort and your pc sounds like it is running properly I don't really see your point, other than slagging off on the evil windows os that most of the world uses.
Oh yeah?!?
Well your stupid bit is set,
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline KThunder

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 11:25:35 PM »
There are drawbacks and quirks to any software system, and no matter how carefully designed Windows is it has more than just Microsoft fiddling with it. If we were locked into only one video, audio, i/o, etc. chipset and programs limited to only a couple megs of ram and floppy discs things would be very different.

This is how Apple computers potentially are more stable. I say potentially because a friend of mine has had more crashes and problems on his mac laptop than I have had on my xp laptop, my wifes 7 laptop and my xp desktop combined.

Amiga os increased significantly in size and complexity from os 1.3 to 3.9 and if it had been updated another half dozen times would likely have rivaled xp in complexity and problems.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 01:50:27 AM by KThunder »
Oh yeah?!?
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline KThunder

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 02:47:16 PM »
Common files are also left. For example if you install a game that requires visual basic runtime and a couple of other generic dll's these may be left by the installer because the developer (not necissarily MS) felt they were useful files you might still want  on the system.

Occasionally when uninstalling a program you might get the dialog box saying something to effect of "this action will delete *.dll which the system indicates is no longer used by any programs, deleting this file may cause programs which do use it to stop working of become unstable"

these are not garbage that will slow your computer but usefull programs which will not have to be installed by other programs if they need them.
Oh yeah?!?
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline KThunder

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 02:51:11 PM »
Developers also leave registration info, and other tracking stuff. Again, not MS, won't slow you computer, but I guess you could debate the invasiveness of info left by a program you uninstalled.
Oh yeah?!?
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline KThunder

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 07:34:27 PM »
what crap decisions from the 80's still exist in windows7 and a modern pc? Not the registry, that didn't come until much later.

Windows is a very fast, capable, stable, and very cool OS. I think 7 is easily worth what MS charges for it. All the arguments about the supposed backwardness of windows are gone.

All you have to argue about now is some piddly little registry thing you don't even understand and have no proof of any effect on your system (none)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 07:57:53 PM by KThunder »
Oh yeah?!?
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)