Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Atn metalheads, go buy this album!  (Read 6804 times)

Description:

Offline Cyberus

• Show all replies
Re: Atn metalheads, go buy this album!
« on: February 18, 2004, 01:14:14 PM »
I saw Napalm Death in London three years ago, one of the best gigs I have ever been to! And yes it is the same Lee Dorrian in Cathedral (who I have also seen live in London a couple of times, they are phat!). Not really into metal now, although I still have a few of the classsics. I went through a lengthy 'art rock' stage not long after that.
And I even like quite a bit of old school hip hop now....

@ Wain
I like Glass' Violin Concerto no 2
The first time I heard it, I was driving home along country lanes at 2am and I had to pull over and turn the stereo up.
His work on Koyanisqaat (sp) is also v good.

I like Amigas

Offline Cyberus

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2004, 05:17:37 PM »

redrumloa wrote:

Don't get much coverage there?!? They are from the UK, and that's where they get most of their coverage! Not that it means very much, they never got much coverage;-)

They were on primetime TV once, TFI Friday for folks in the UK. Performing 'you suffer' or 'Life?', I can't remember - one of the two second songs anyway. Oh, and unless their lineup's changed, the two guitarists are American, one of them is Jesse Pintado, from Terrorizer IIRC, can't remember if the other one's from the same band....

Lee Dorian was part of the original lineup of ND, since then they have had over 100% turnover. There is not one original band member left. This is a good thing, the current lineup has pretty much been stable for 10+ years and is much better than the original linuep.

Hmm, would you believe I used to collect Napalm Death stuff? (Well I used to collect the label actually - Earache records). I'm pretty sure they have one original member - Shane Embury the bassist. May I say, when I saw them live, the band were really cool people, they were at the bar before the gig drinking and chatting to the fans.
The ultimate was when they came on stage. There was a guy in front of me smoking a spliff, Barney grabs the mic and says, in his broad brummie accent, "Roight! We're Napalm Death. Let's fookin' have it!". The spliff goes flying into the air and the moshpit erupts to one of the most violent, yet good natured I've been in (both of these things are possible!). I felt like a nineteen year old again!

Umm.. it's funny, very funny.. I hear Cathedral and I laugh, I can't believe it's the same guy!

I couldn't believe it when I first heard it either! Have you heard Cathedral's first album? That is more like the Lee Dorrian of old, very sludgy music with growls.

Go out and get ND Scum, you will be shocked. I like it and it's definately a classic album, but to be honest Lee Dorian sounds like someone being gagged while they have a painful bowl movement. Don't even try to make out the lyrics by listening, it's not going to happen! It all sounds like grunts and groans:-P

How about the second track tho! 'Multinational Corporations, Genocide of the....Starving nations!' Classic!!!

edit: Oh yeah, their original guitarist was none other than Bill Steer, who was also the guitarist with Carcass, the best EVER death metal band IMHO!

I like Amigas

Offline Cyberus

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2004, 06:29:01 PM »

that_punk_guy wrote:
Cyberus wrote:
I'm pretty sure they have one original member - Shane Embury the bassist.

Nope, Nik Bullen and Jim Whiteley played bass on sides one and two (respectively) of 'Scum', according to the sleevenotes here.

Really? I must admit, I haven't looked at the sleevenotes of my Scum LP, but in the CD I have, which is 'From Enslavement to  Obliteration' - It has the whole of Scum on the CD, as well as FEtO plus bonus tracks - it lists Shane Embury as the bassist. In any case, he's been the bassist since 1987, but I didn't realise he didn't play bass on Scum...
I like Amigas

Offline Cyberus

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2004, 08:32:07 PM »

redrumloa wrote:

And yes, they are very cool people even though their politics are way far left for my view:-)

I still have the t-shirt from the gig. It has "Nazi Punks F**k Off!" on the front (what a classic DK cover!) and a crossed out swastika on the back - saying that, one of my mates has the same shirt and got grief from a couple of guys on the Underground. Anyway, what I was trying to say, is they sure ain't right wing!

I saw them in 2003 playing at a little dump hole in the wall, and before the concert Shane was walking around in front of the club mingling with the crowd. Heck in late 2001 post 9/11 after a concert date was canceled here in FL, he personally responded to a fan email I sent. They are the real deal, real down to earth people just like their fans.

Sounds just like the gig I went to, at the London Astoria 2, just on the corner of Oxford St and Tottenham Court Road in London, a little venue, that made the gig all the more intimate and intense. I trust they failed to disappoint? The one in London was probably the best ever gig I've been to, and this was only a couple of years back, well after I'd finished going through my 'metal stage'.

The only comparable gig would be a 'secret' Sepultura one I went to in 1995, also in the same venue. Had to sleep on the street in London overnight to buy the tickets to that one - well worth it though!
I like Amigas