Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga Inc have sold the AmigaOS  (Read 7191 times)

Description:

Offline Nightcrawler

• Show only replies by Nightcrawler
    • http://www.amerikanskbulldog.no
Re: Amiga Inc have sold the AmigaOS
« Reply #59 from previous page: March 16, 2004, 10:55:08 PM »
Would this by any chance be an attempt to show that AmigaOS and DE are not connected? I've been away for a while, and haven't quite understood what's going on but it's good to see the soap opera is still "on schedule and rocking"...
\\"There are still places where people think that the function of the media is to provide information.\\"
 -- Don Rottenberg--

Offline Waccoon

• Show only replies by Waccoon
« Reply #60 on: March 17, 2004, 02:46:54 AM »
So, do I go to Amiga.com or KMOS.com to see the release candidate demo of OS4?

What?  There is no demo?  Well, screw OS4, then.   :-)

Offline Melaure

• Show only replies by Melaure
    • http://www.augfrance.com/lgdm/
« Reply #61 on: March 17, 2004, 10:17:38 AM »
Ogy is right. The Amiga platform needs stability. What's all this crap ? Buy and re-buy ! This is really confusing and don't give a serious image of the Amiga World ...

STABILITY is necessary as well as complete computers which doesn't look like a tuned PC ... Apple has a very nice style. The Amiga needs one too.
Apple User Group Les Gones Du Mac
TI550 768/40+40+80+100 OSX 10.2.6 Airport-Bluetooth-GPRS & Starmax 4000G3/300 144/40+120 OS8.6 & iBook G3/300 576/40 OSX 10.2.6 & LCII-040/66 42/2 OS8.1 & SE/30 & ADSL & Olitec SX200 & T68i & Visor & TI99/4

Offline AxE

• Show only replies by AxE
    • http://web.ukonline.co.uk/mark.ricketts/
« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2004, 05:28:13 PM »
and so the Amiga merry-go-round continues
nothing has changed in the last 7 years
still no noteable releases and no OS
only the name of who owns it is different
\\"You cannot kill what
doesnt die\\" - Anthrax

Offline DanDude

• Show only replies by DanDude
« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2004, 12:46:52 AM »
Oh wow...

I can't wait what happens next...

:-?

Oh, does that mean we're finally getting our T-shirts now?  :lol: *JINX*
#AmIRC
mesra.dal.net or hotspeed.dal.net
irc2.beyondirc.net

Offline Kaminari

• Show only replies by Kaminari
    • http://namida.com/kaminarimon/
« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2004, 05:55:07 AM »
Welcome to the Dilbert Zone.
"Silence is the most resounding word." (Sima Qian)

Offline Al_B

• Show only replies by Al_B
    • http://www.ape.itgo.com
« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2004, 09:56:36 AM »
Money at the helm?  How do we know KMOS and Gary Hare has money?  Internet info on KMOS and Hare is sparce.  Also, did any other company have a chance of getting this "deal."

Offline TallAmigan

• Show only replies by TallAmigan
« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2004, 01:17:52 PM »
Well considering that Hyperion is the ONE developing OS4, if KMOS has more money for development then we actually could come out ahead.

Looks like we've been snowed for at least a year.

Actually, I feel like an orphaned child again.

WHOEVER, owns the OS, I wished that they would get the blasted product to market.  I have a BOX looking for the OS, (don't really care for Linux).

Just bring the dang product to market.. we deserve that much... And yes I have been a supporter for a long time ,,,,, actually since 1987.

Just venting some thoughts.
A.S.K.- Amiga Society of Kentuckiana

Offline woody57

• Show only replies by woody57
« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2004, 01:39:26 PM »
What are the facts ?

I've read the entire thread but what it seems to be is the colecting of an IOU

If money was given or borrowed against a licensed idea or copywrite

Then trying to renegotiate its value now is TOO late

buy back clauses must be entered at the time of agreement , NOT RE-Contested like grandads last will & testiment

If the company KMOS have any intension to distribute this idea or just sell its patent into a LOCKED VAULT so NO ONE Can USE will be their buisness choice

I believe in the old miggy & the choices workbench gave us

But this is NOT about a new alternative piece of custom tuned hardware with a specialy written OS

Its about a multiplatform idea that as yet is still in beta being used on variety of bolted together common parts

Sadly it sounds like the early dreaded PC & windows scenario

And If I don't get flack for this post

It will be a miracle

this sent live from a REAL  1200  not emulated

:)

Offline uboat

• Show only replies by uboat
« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2004, 05:08:20 PM »
Oh yeah, KMOS must have sooooo much money. The only reference I can find to it on the net relates to the Amiga stories. So what else has this company been doing?

I tried typing www.kmos.com in the ie address bar and got a message saying "This is the future home of KMOS Inc." That really reassured me about the bona fides of this company - not.

My bet is that KMOS consists of a fat guy in his lounge room who likes to fantasize about becoming the next Bill Gates.

Offline Al_B

• Show only replies by Al_B
    • http://www.ape.itgo.com
« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2004, 12:59:13 AM »
OK, Amiga Inc sells the "classic Amiga OS" to KMOS, but as I understand it, not the name of the OS?  What is  it to be called then? KMOS/OS, the OS formerly known as AmigaOS?   :-o

Offline Dr_Righteous

• Show only replies by Dr_Righteous
« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2004, 03:06:02 AM »
I figure I might as well toss my 2 cent theory in the ring here...

Garry Hare - Amiga geek like the rest of us, who has money and is sick of the floundering by AI. Decides "ok, I'll just buy the damned thing and get this show on the road myself". (This theory based on my own long-standing desire to do this, and I bet I'm not alone)

KMOS - A company name derrived from the "competition" between AmigaOS and MorphOS - "Kill MorphOS". Kinda like Mozilla was to NCSA Mosaic. (Makes me wonder how many people here actually remember Mosaic...)

Amiga Inc -

Theory 1: With all remains of the Amiga world now stripped from the company, and the VERY dark cloud looming large over A.DE/A.A., Amino Corp will likely absorb everything and the "Amiga" name will be dropped. Perhaps the technology will be sold to another large company and Billy Mac will just cut his losses.

Theory 2: This happened nearly a year ago? Hmm, sounds in line with the finacial problems AI had. Perhaps this move was to protect AOS during bankruptcy proceedings? Thus the reason it was kept hush hush.

Again, just my theories... No harm intended, no knowledge of events whatsoever.

Anyway, I feel a bit like a storm chaser about this, finding a tornado - excited as hell, but scared out of my mind. It can be really good, but it can also be really bad... I'm having BeOS flashbacks!

But, I guess a phoenix has to burn before it can rise from the ashes
- Doc

A4000D, A3640 OC-36.3MHz, custom tower, Mediator A4000D. Diamond Banshee 16M, Indivision AGA 4000, GVP HC+8.

Mac Mini 1.5GHz, that might run MorphOS someday, when the fools who own it come to the realization that 30 minutes just isn\'t enough time to play with it enough to decide whether or not you like it enough to cough up $200.

- Someone please design SOME kind of DIY accelerator for the A4000. :D -

Offline Tigger

• Show only replies by Tigger
« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2004, 07:09:06 AM »

So what else has this company been doing?

On October 7th, the company was formed, on October 10th they acquired AmigaOS from Itec, Garry Hare is there CEO, you basically have their entire story.
     -Tig
Well you know I am scottish, so I like sheep alot.
     -Fleecy Moss, Gateway 2000 show

Offline seer

• Show only replies by seer
« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2004, 09:27:19 AM »
On October 7th, the company was formed, on October 10th they acquired AmigaOS from Itec

Didn't they buy Itec after Itec bought Itec AmigaOS ? Shouldn't people search for Itec if they want info ?
~
Everything you say will be misquoted and used against you.
~

Offline boing

• Show only replies by boing
    • http://www.TribeOfHeart.org
« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2004, 10:50:40 AM »
IIRC, Gateway still owns all the nifty patents, and Amino/AmigaInc owned the right to the name and to use/develop/sell the AmigaOS.  What patents are tied up in the OS vs. the novel hardware?

In this day of the evil WTO and GATT, what about the German court decision of a few years ago that found that when Gateway bought Amiga from Escom, the didn't actually get the rights to the OS?  Whatever became of that?  Seems to be that would concern KMOS and Bill Buck.

So how do we contact this Harre fellow and ask him what his intentions are?  I'd like to see us all share stuff and let MorphOS and AmigaOS and AROS become one big happy family.  I'm tired of being jerked around by people without the means- and the people who actauly have the ability are hamstrung by legal claims from Fleecy and Bill McEwen.  I'm tired of the waiting and empty promises.  If I could try one of these Pegasos units first, I might darn well go and buy it.

Speaking of which, my girlfriend ordered AmigaOS 3.9 for me as an Xmas gift in Dec. 2002 and it STILL hasn't come in!!  Her emails to Fleecy were never bounced, but never answered either.  Thanks for nothing Fleecy!