Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga Inc have sold the AmigaOS  (Read 7162 times)

Description:

Offline adolescent

• Show only replies by adolescent
Re: Amiga Inc have sold the AmigaOS
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2004, 02:44:44 AM »
Looks like the amiga.com website is down.  Is there a mirror of the announcement anywhere?
Time to move on.  Bye Amiga.org.  :(

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2004, 02:48:34 AM »
I feel dizzy, I need to sit down. This is all getting too weird. :lol:

-Edit-
Nope, gonna post that after all. :-)
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2004, 03:26:01 AM »
Rogue

Noone is calling YOU a moron. I'm always praising you people if anything. I just dont like the way Hyperion, Eyetech, and Amiga1 dealers have told people (no not you and your brother others) that OS4 is "right around the corner" and in fact its in extremely early beta stage. Why not just say:

Hey its really difficult, its a small team so its slow going but its coming nicely..

What would really benifit everyone is if the War of MOS vs Aos and Genesi vs Amiga and A1 vs Pegasos started to die down and some shared development occured...

This is worse than the Middle East

magnetic

it SUX
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2004, 03:32:09 AM »
Erm, already posted this in the forums before I realised it was frontpage. My apologies...

I'm sure everyone must be itching to ask these questions, but I'm getting there first, even if I don't expect much of a reply:

1) Is this really for real?

2) Who the hell are KMOS and where can a person find out more about them?

3) Why didn't we hear about this earlier when it actually happened and not almost a year later?

3) How will this affect Genesi's threatened aquisition of OS4 as being connected to the DE?

4) Will OS4 still be allowed to be marketed with the Amiga name? If so, would Amiga Inc. still get royalties? If they do, can Genesi still claim its linked to DE?

5) Will KMOS open up the hardware market and allow OS4 to be run on a wider range of PPC boards, such as Terons, Macs, and Pegasos? Would it even be up to them what OS4 was licenced to run on?

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2004, 03:38:02 AM »
6) Why has Fleecy been talking about the future of AmigaOS over the last year if it has been sold the whole time?

Sorry, I have to ask. Something doesn't seem right. Maybe the proof is in the details, but where is the details?
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline downix

• Show only replies by downix
    • http://www.applemonthly.com
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2004, 03:41:26 AM »
Ok, that's it, I am DEFINATELY making a movie based on this!  You can't write fiction this good!
Try blazedmongers new Free Universal Computer kit, available with the GUI toolkit Your Own Universe, the popular IT edition, Extremely Reliable System for embedded work, Enhanced Database development and Wide Area Development system for telecommuting.

Offline Hattig

• Show only replies by Hattig
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2004, 03:46:28 AM »
Yuk, what's with the undescribed icons for "quote", etc. What is a "manager", or a "<>" ... sheesh. You'd think an Amiga site would have an idea about usability.

3) How will this affect Genesi's threatened acquisition of OS4 as being connected to the DE?

About the same amount as it will affect Genesi's threatened acquisition of Microsoft PocketPC as being connected to Amiga DE I'd imagine. They aren't the same product, however much bbrv is disingeneous in the court case. Maybe Amiga will be able to afford a lawyer now to actually defend themselves.

Offline weirdami

• Show only replies by weirdami
    • Http://Bindingpolymer.com
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2004, 04:01:23 AM »
Argo said...
I assume they also have licence from Amiga, Inc for the name.

The press release said...
"I should point out, that except as they relate to the Amiga OS family of products, KMOS did not acquire the Amiga name, intellectual property or its DE line of products. These assets remain the property of Amiga Inc.".

So, I guess they licensed the name in a way, but not exclusively.
----
Binding Polymer: Keeping you together since 1892.

Offline KennyR

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2004, 04:14:44 AM »
Hattig wrote:
About the same amount as it will affect Genesi's threatened acquisition of Microsoft PocketPC as being connected to Amiga DE I'd imagine. They aren't the same product, however much bbrv is disingeneous in the court case. Maybe Amiga will be able to afford a lawyer now to actually defend themselves.

Regardless of the actual validity of the claim, it's already been judged in Thendic/Genesi's favour as being linked to the DE. I'm not sure the judgement is reversible.

Offline Tomas

• Show only replies by Tomas
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2004, 04:20:23 AM »
@Rogue

Hey, back off. Tom's a bit overzealous, that's all.

Eh? It was not me who made this post:
Now maybe the morons who said Bill Buck was making up Gary Harre and the whole business card incident will reconsider what is the Truth and what is Fabrication

This was posted by magnetic... Or is his real name Tom or something?
I was only asking who this garry hare person was and if he has been involved with any amiga companies in past.. i never ever called anyone a moron.

Offline System

• Show only replies by System
    • http://amiga.org
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2004, 04:25:34 AM »
> Regardless of the actual validity of the claim, it's already been judged in Thendic/Genesi's favour
> as being linked to the DE. I'm not sure the judgement is reversible.

Where is this posted? I know the judgement was in favor of Genesi for the original claim for DE, and that Buck-man had filed for an ammendment to include OS4, but hadn't heard of a judgement on said ammendment yet...

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2004, 04:29:19 AM »
Looks like a rather cheap trick to scam AInc's creditors
out of any chance to get their hands on AInc's only asset.

Lets wait and see how long this will hold if is ever
tested in court ....
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

Offline weirdami

• Show only replies by weirdami
    • Http://Bindingpolymer.com
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2004, 04:29:33 AM »
1) Is this really for real?

According to the press release, yes.

I'm not sure how to feel about this whole thing, though. It's kinda weird. A new home for Amiga. I feel kinda sad that Amiga got sold again. But, it might be a good thing. AI can go about doing whatever DE stuff it's doing and whatever lawsuits surrounding it will not be able to touch the AmigaOS because it's owned by someone else. If AOS4 was an upgrade of AmigaDE (which it obviously is not), then there's no way to prove it because now DE is being conspicuously separated from OS4. OS4 and the entirety of AmigaOS IP (whatever of it that AI bought from Gateway) is owned by someone else and DE is going to be worked on by AI (or whoever it is that's working on it on AI's behalf). If OS4 was an upgrade of DE, then why is DE still being worked on? Logically, if OS4 was an upgrade of DE, then DE is necessarily obsolete, but it's still being worked on, so it can't be. This new ownership separation adds to the fact that there's no real connection between the two. That's good thing number one.

Good thing number two might be that if KMOS has money to buy whole other companies like that (Itec LLC, not AI), then they've probably got all sorts of resources with which to keep Amiga alive.

One question I have is if KMOS "develops and distributes enabling technology, software applications and specialty content to the wired and wireless communication market", then why didn't they buy DE as well, or instead of OS4? DE seems more their line. The description of KMOS on the AI press release could be used to describe AI, given the products it's released. KMOS must be AI, with money. Good thing number three. :-)

Let's just hope this doesn't turn out badly. As in, I don't want to have to buy an IBM just to have an Amiga. Amiga as Windows replacement, no. Amiga as Windows killer, yes. :destroy:
----
Binding Polymer: Keeping you together since 1892.

Offline Hattig

• Show only replies by Hattig
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2004, 04:39:19 AM »
Where is this posted? I know the judgement was in favor of Genesi for the original claim for DE, and that Buck-man had filed for an ammendment to include OS4, but hadn't heard of a judgement on said ammendment yet...

I'm also sure that KMOS will also ensure that this situation does not occur by supplying a lawyer to stop bbrv's snatch-and-grab operation from a dying bleeding company trying to breath its last breath.

Offline Tomas

• Show only replies by Tomas
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2004, 04:46:24 AM »
I'm also sure that KMOS will also ensure that this situation does not occur by supplying a lawyer to stop bbrv's snatch-and-grab operation from a dying bleeding company trying to breath its last breath.

I indeed hope so... If genesi get their hands on OS4, then i am out of here..

Offline KennyR

« Reply #29 from previous page: March 16, 2004, 05:03:46 AM »
Hattig wrote:

Thats rather over dramatic, and also making AInc out to be the innocent victims destroyed by an evil world. In reality, AInc made terrible business choices and jumped over the cliff into badly advised ventures with little idea of how they'd do anything. They haven't yet fallen: right now they're hanging from the ankles of the Amiga community pulling them down every day that the IPs aren't used for anything productive. Genesi may love getting the boot in, but I really wish the community would finally kick AInc off themselves and save them the trouble.

If they weren't called Amiga I very much doubt anyone would still support this company.