Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: apple great desing  (Read 10570 times)

Description:

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
Re: apple great desing
« Reply #89 from previous page: September 20, 2012, 01:31:21 AM »
Quote from: Methuselas;708731
Bill Gates didn't kill Apple in the 90's, 'cos he was smart enough to know that if they were gone, Microsoft really would *BE* a monopoly and they would have torn his company to pieces.

Jobs, is, was and will always be, a douche! Personally, I kinda wish I was old enough to be working for Apple during their heyday. If that SOB got in *MY* face and slammed me up against a wall for working 19 hours straight and "not producing" anything, I would have smiled and said "that's assault - I never gave you permission to physically touch me" and slammed him with a major lawsuit.

The best thing about it is, many people that had quit previously would have heard about the lawsuit and probably jumped on, making it a class-action suit. Once that happened, the board at Apple would be going "Here, take this money. Settle out of court."

But my attitude and mentality would have been "Nope. I don't want your money. I want his head."

I met him once. He was a prick to even his fans...... I have zero respect for him. Apple, I have a little, but until they prove to me that they're not following in the footsteps of their "Messiah", I'm not interested in any product they have to offer......

Ah, someone with an unclouded view of what a complete a**hole this guy was.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #90 on: September 20, 2012, 04:33:44 AM »
The hero worship is pretty nuts. What about the guys who designed and engineered and coded and...and...and...

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #91 on: September 20, 2012, 05:48:49 AM »
If there's anyone you should "worship" when it comes to modern computing, its these people:

Alan Turing
Grace Hopper
Douglas Engelbart

People like that.  Real pioneers.

And that's it.

I'd say something of a slur about Jobs being a mere fashion designer but for chrissake he wasn't even that.  Johnathan Ive kept Apple afloat with it's little plastic knickknacks, Jobs just gobbled it up and occasionally screamed at people over color shades or angles of a given piece of plastic.

Meanwhile, this interface we're all using?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfIgzSoTMOs

1968.  Not 1986.  Not 1984.  Hell, not even 1980.  Nineteen sixty-eight.  Before NASA was sent men to the moon with a digital computer with less computing power than the first kit 8-bit computers from the mid '80s, Engelbart took a book titled As We May Think and moved the desktop from Memex Workstation to computerized metaphor.

The rest, as they say, is history.

Steve Jobs has no place in that arc of brilliance.  He was a whining salesman with a sadistic, hateful streak a mile wide who wouldn't cross the road to piss on his own mother if she were on fire.
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #92 on: September 20, 2012, 05:56:47 AM »
Quote from: B00tDisk;708762

Steve Jobs has no place in that arc of brilliance.  He was a whining salesman with a sadistic, hateful streak a mile wide who wouldn't cross the road to piss on his own mother if she were on fire.

+1

I couldn't agree more. He had no respect for anyone that worked for him. Many consensuses were that regardless of what he "did" for Apple, everyone that worked for him, hated him.....
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline B00tDisk

« Reply #93 on: September 20, 2012, 06:09:09 AM »
Quote from: hbarcellos;708502
I'm really glad they took the idea from XEROX.

Check your computing history: Xerox put the Alto on sale in 1973, a decade prior to the Lisa.  They released the Xerox Star four years prior to the Macintosh.

The shouting, bespectacled Big Brother in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/OYecfV3ubP8

...speaks of "a garden of pure Ideology".  Now you tell me if that doesn't sound like the entirely closed off "world" of iDevices and the AppStore, where Apple will kick handicapped children if it suits them

One more note about Xerox: they gave the Alto and later Star away to schools that just asked for them.  Apple dropped all charitable offerings on Jobs' orders when he came back.

Offline Methuselas

« Reply #94 on: September 20, 2012, 06:20:54 AM »
Yup. Supposedly, Jobs felt that since Apple was hemorrhaging money, the best thing to do to staunch the blood loss was to strip Apple's charitable contributions, which included sending computers to School Districts to use.

Ironically, most schools that I know about now use PCs instead..... At least, that's what many of my friends, whom are teachers tell me.

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #95 on: September 20, 2012, 06:36:40 AM »
Quote from: B00tDisk;708762

That's an objective opinion alright. You can't make a statement like that without backing it up. Care to fill us all in why you hate Steve Jobs/Apple so much? Tell us your life story...

;)

People who hate Apple so much without any reason are starting to annoy me.
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline rewlako

• Show only replies by rewlako
« Reply #96 on: September 20, 2012, 11:21:27 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;708736
Ah, someone with an unclouded view of what a complete a**hole this guy was.

I don't care what kind of a guy he was, the products are great.

It works the other way around too: I don't like Windows, but think Bill Gates is a pretty nice guy.

Offline yssing

• Show only replies by yssing
    • http://www.yssing.org
« Reply #97 on: September 20, 2012, 12:11:26 PM »
Quote from: Kesa;708767
That's an objective opinion alright. You can't make a statement like that without backing it up. Care to fill us all in why you hate Steve Jobs/Apple so much? Tell us your life story...

;)

Watch the movie "Pirates of Silicon Valley"

Offline B00tDisk

« Reply #98 on: September 20, 2012, 02:26:35 PM »
Why not read the words of the people who were actually there?

Or as suggested watch Pirates of Silicon Valley?

And in case you doubt the veracity of Pirates..., listen to what Steve Wozniak had to say about it.

So delightful scenes where he physically assaults a programmer who'd worked for over a full day (not a full work day, 24+ hours)?  Yeah, happened.  Throwing Woz out of the company?  Happened.  Mentally abusing an engineer applying for a job? (the infamous "Are you a virgin" scene)?  Happened.  Denying paternity not once but time and again up to the point where he went to court and testified that he was impotent so he wouldn't have to pay a single dime to support that little girl?  YEAH, HAPPENED.  

**** you if you're going to sit there and try to defend Steve Jobs.  There's tons of evidence to back up the fact that he was an *******, and there's no changing that.  Facts are stubborn things.

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
« Reply #99 on: September 20, 2012, 03:20:14 PM »
Quote from: rewlako;708784
I don't care what kind of a guy he was, the products are great.

It works the other way around too: I don't like Windows, but think Bill Gates is a pretty nice guy.

On the upside, Gates has donated tons of money to worthy causes. On the downside, he was the guy who lied to congress to get more immigrant visas
http://programmersguild.org/docs/bill_gates_lies_about_h1b_wages.html

Offline Methuselas

« Reply #100 on: September 20, 2012, 03:38:33 PM »
Steve Jobs was the Bill McEwen of Apple. He did nothing, but live off the innovations of others. He was a parasite.

Apple, on the other hand, well they really only have *ONE* chance to make this right. The Galaxy s3 is about the destroy the IPhone....... it's superior equipment. I *LOVE* OSX, but if I won't pay over 2gs to get an Amiga X1000 that has my *FAVORITE* OS in existence, what makes you think I'd spend nearly 3gs on a Mac? Apple needs to do a reboot. They seriously need to let go of the stain that was Steve Jobs.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #101 on: September 20, 2012, 04:22:14 PM »
Yeah, Apple's doing so badly, the largest market cap of any company in history, people queuing 24+ hours for a new product, accolades in most every tech journal on the planet.  Yep, a sinking ship for sure.  

Seriously there are companies with far less scruples such as Walmart or BAIN or the Koch brothers business.  Why the hate for Apple?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline kolla

« Reply #102 on: September 20, 2012, 04:30:02 PM »
Quote from: Kesa;708767

Are you _sure_ you want to see all the reasons why people dislike Apple and Steve Jobs?
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
« Reply #103 on: September 20, 2012, 04:34:20 PM »
Quote from: persia;708809
Yeah, Apple's doing so badly, the largest market cap of any company in history, people queuing 24+ hours for a new product, accolades in most every tech journal on the planet.  Yep, a sinking ship for sure.  

Seriously there are companies with far less scruples such as Walmart or BAIN or the Koch brothers business.  Why the hate for Apple?

My guess is people bought into the idea of the "good corporation" and the image of apple being clean and slick and superior. Nobody had that illusion about walmart at any point.

So when reality comes through, people get pretty grim.

Offline yssing

• Show only replies by yssing
    • http://www.yssing.org
« Reply #104 on: September 20, 2012, 04:39:25 PM »
I really don't want to waste my time and energy hating Apple. I won't buy an Apple product because they are way to expensive, plus I just don't want to learn yet an other system. Amiga, Linux and windows is enough for me.