Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: apple great desing  (Read 10704 times)

Description:

Offline yssing

• Show only replies by yssing
    • http://www.yssing.org
Re: apple great desing
« Reply #104 from previous page: September 20, 2012, 04:39:25 PM »
I really don't want to waste my time and energy hating Apple. I won't buy an Apple product because they are way to expensive, plus I just don't want to learn yet an other system. Amiga, Linux and windows is enough for me.

Offline hbarcellos

• Show only replies by hbarcellos
« Reply #105 on: September 20, 2012, 05:00:21 PM »
Quote from: B00tDisk;708765
Check your computing history: Xerox put the Alto on sale in 1973, a decade prior to the Lisa.  They released the Xerox Star four years prior to the Macintosh.

The shouting, bespectacled Big Brother in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/OYecfV3ubP8

...speaks of "a garden of pure Ideology".  Now you tell me if that doesn't sound like the entirely closed off "world" of iDevices and the AppStore, where Apple will kick handicapped children if it suits them

One more note about Xerox: they gave the Alto and later Star away to schools that just asked for them.  Apple dropped all charitable offerings on Jobs' orders when he came back.

looks like you're discussing good vs evil. Im not.
Takes 4 Ps for something to be sucessfull. Apple made three Ps better than xerox with 1/1000 of the money. Became too arrogant and crazy and it was surpassed by Microsoft.
It will happen again...

Im on the go. can discuss more tomorrow...
}~ A1200 - Apollo 68040 - HOTLY running OS 3.1
}~ Powerbook G4 1.67 running MorphOS 3.2 without Wifi.
}~ Powermac Quicksilver 933 with Radeon 9600 XT (r300) LOUDLY running MorphOS 3.2
}~ [MY iOS GAME]: http://goo.gl/S9nWB (Amiga users can get it FREE[/color], just ask me)

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #106 on: September 20, 2012, 05:19:30 PM »
It will be interesting to see what Windows 8 brings to the post pc world.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline hbarcellos

« Reply #107 on: September 20, 2012, 05:31:57 PM »
I dont see as a post pc time. My opinion is that the internet brought a bunch of people to "our world". they were never happy with our machines. they dont like to deal with coding, drivers and configuration options. they want something that works like a blender to send emails, read books, edit pictures and video call their friends. Those guys are leaving with their tablets, and We'll be back to our niche!

too bad for us that, wihout scale, well be back to premium prices
}~ Powermac Quicksilver 933 with Radeon 9600 XT (r300) LOUDLY running MorphOS 3.2
}~ [MY iOS GAME]: http://goo.gl/S9nWB (Amiga users can get it FREE[/color], just ask me)

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #108 on: September 20, 2012, 05:36:27 PM »
Right. A lot of people got computers because they wanted to do specific things that computers let you do.

Now, that there's options to do those things, without having to **** about with a computer, they'll get those options instead.

Offline Bif

• Show only replies by Bif
« Reply #109 on: September 20, 2012, 08:44:33 PM »
Quote from: Duce;708584
I'd go with the iPhone 5 personally, Kesa.

I got a S3 recently, and while I do like the thing, I've found the wifi on it to be erratic at best.  Randomly loses authentication and passwords and randomly drops off my wireless networks, and it's not an operator error issue, lol.  I find the Android settings mechanisms on the handset to be overly complex compared to the iPhone.  GPS on my old iPhone was better as well.  Apps selection is pretty comparable, but I find Android "free" apps to be so burdened with crapware and adverts they are often unusable.  I find the iPhone "multitasking" superior to Android as well.
Having the Google ecosystem crammed down my face on the handset is a little unpleasant as well, but so is the iTunes/Apple walled garden ecosystem.

I've had a Galaxy Nexus for 6 months or so now. I've had mixed feelings about it so far, the negative being that it took until about 2 weeks ago before I got 4.0.2 (ICS) pushed out to me from 4.0.1. And it seemed like 4.0.1 probably had some bugs in it that should have been fixed a long long time ago, it was way too long to be stuck on it. The 4.0.2 update seemed to make my device less responsive. Then one week later I very surprisingly get 4.1.1 (Jelly Bean) or whatever finally pushed to me. It's a HUGE improvement over 4.0.x. My device is now incredibly snappy and smooth, and there are lots of usability improvements and new features. I'm now extremely satisfied with it.

I bought my wife a Galaxy S2 as it does everything she needs and it had dropped to $400 (from $600+) now that it wasn't the newest model. The TouchWiz stuff is a disaster, and the Kies thing is a disaster. However, I prefer the hardware of the S2 to my Galaxy Nexus. It's lighter, just the right size, and the camera takes better pictures (though it's slow).

Now that I know a bit more about all of this, what I'll probably do from now on when my current device has failed or got way too old is buy whatever Samsung model has been out for a year or so that is half the price of the latest one, and install my own ROM on it if need be to get rid of that TouchWiz crap. The hardware itself I think has gotten pretty much to a place where I am happy enough with it, as I just need something responsive, and with good camera/video. It's the software that is a real mess in droid land right now with all this TouchWiz add on crap. There's still a long way to go before Droid users can all get sensible software included out of the box.

I've done the iPhone/iPod thing before and never will again, completely turned off of Apple after living through that.

I still think the smartphone offerings are a bit of a cluster****, looking forward to the day when you can buy an open device that does what it should out of the box that you can get timely updates for and all the software works on it.

Offline zylesea

• Show only replies by zylesea
    • http://www.via-altera.de
« Reply #110 on: September 20, 2012, 10:35:51 PM »
Quote from: persia;708826
It will be interesting to see what Windows 8 brings to the post pc world.
Actualy I think W8 will be quite a success. Metro seems strange to many ppl on first sight, but the thing is Metro !=W8. Metro is part of W8 on normal computers you can always switch to the usual W7 alike environement.
I was working on something like Metro for my Efika pictureframe long ago (spend not too much work on that and came not very far). A simple interface to do most things conveniently and just switch to the full blown desktop when necessary. I think that aproach is a rather good one. Providing something simple, but don't restrict it to that.

For phones I already said I would not be too surprised if Nokia will make a comeback over the coming year or two. They build quality and have enough experience with phones. Of course it is sad they don't follow the Symbian and MeeGoo route any more, but the hardware and apps by Nokia will probably stay good.

And in the end of day it doesn't matter too much if it's an iOS, Android or WP8 phone - they are all pretty good. Heck, even my simple S60 phone does most the stuff I want it to do - albeit this device is really far from being perfect. But it works, and honestly if I got a replacement phone that would be no necessity but pure luxury.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 10:40:43 PM by zylesea »

Offline persia

« Reply #111 on: September 20, 2012, 10:49:50 PM »
There seems to be a fair bit of mis-understanding about the post pc world and I'll admit Steve jobs was a part of the misunderstanding.  

It doesn't mean that the desktop or notebook will go away, it simply means that front and centre will be taken by another device, the tablet.  Before the post pc world we were in a post mainframe world, but there were and still are a large number of mainframes and likely will be for decades to come.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #112 on: September 20, 2012, 10:59:22 PM »
Quote from: persia;708877
There seems to be a fair bit of mis-understanding about the post pc world and I'll admit Steve jobs was a part of the misunderstanding.  

It doesn't mean that the desktop or notebook will go away, it simply means that front and centre will be taken by another device, the tablet.  Before the post pc world we were in a post mainframe world, but there were and still are a large number of mainframes and likely will be for decades to come.

Pity it doesn't mean PCWorld will go away :lol:
int p; // A

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #113 on: September 21, 2012, 12:50:57 AM »
:lol:

Offline hbarcellos

« Reply #114 on: September 26, 2012, 07:21:29 PM »
Ahhhhhhhhh, btw, now looks like a major tech/geek news website agrees with me:

http://gizmodo.com/5946425/the-new-apple-it-doesnt-just-work

just to remind everyone:

Takes 4 Ps for something to be sucessfull. Apple made three Ps better than xerox with 1/1000 of the money. Became too arrogant and crazy and it was surpassed by Microsoft.
It will happen again...

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #115 on: September 26, 2012, 08:45:57 PM »
Quote from: hbarcellos;709482
Ahhhhhhhhh, btw, now looks like a major tech/geek news website agrees with me:

http://gizmodo.com/5946425/the-new-apple-it-doesnt-just-work

just to remind everyone:

You seem to have a mistaken belief that superior products is what determines commercial success. History would seem to disagree.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #116 on: September 27, 2012, 08:32:54 AM »
Four P's? What's that? Is it the 7 P's for the marketing mix? :confused:
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline persia

« Reply #117 on: September 27, 2012, 02:25:29 PM »
Yeah, I've been playing with new iPhone 5 and while arguably it's as good as anything on the market, it isn't a leap above anything out there.  If next years 5s or whatever is the same incremental improvement, Apple will find itself playing catch up.

The lack of NFC, for example, is inexcusable.  NFC is coming and Apple has lost it's opportunity to lead that revolution.  That will be Samsung.

Steve Job's vision drove Apple, and right now they are running on momentum.  Tim Cook is just not a visionary.  Apple is in line to become another Microsoft, a once brilliant star reduced to a white dwarf.  

I hope that doesn't happen, but for the first time in years I can't say with any certainty what brand my next phone will be....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline hbarcellos

« Reply #118 on: September 27, 2012, 07:47:29 PM »
Quote from: runequester;709494
You seem to have a mistaken belief that superior products is what determines commercial success. History would seem to disagree.

Me?? Have you took the time to look my previous replies on this topic or you're just randomly replying? What's next? Quote and describe the BETAMAX vs VHS case?

Offline hbarcellos

« Reply #119 on: September 27, 2012, 07:53:23 PM »
Quote from: Kesa;709514
Four P's? What's that? Is it the 7 P's for the marketing mix? :confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Ps   ????

That's pure BS to sell more books. 4 P's are more than enough, and, IMHO, some p's are more important than other P's.

'Physical evidence' refers to elements within the store -- the store front, the uniforms employees wear, signboards, etc. 'People' refers to the employees of the organisation with whom customers come into contact with. 'Process' refers to the processes and systems within the organisation that affects its marketing process

Really?