Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Is there any real use for 128MB on classic Amiga?  (Read 10009 times)

Description:

Offline cgutjahr

• Show all replies
Re: Is there any real use for 128MB on classic Amiga?
« on: November 26, 2012, 11:22:48 PM »
Quote from: ChaosLord;716465
Amiga multitasks.  Of course you can use 128MB of RAM.
Of course you can fill 128 MB, that wasn't the question. The question was if people actually do fill them up occasionally during normal use.

I can see how that could happen under OS4 (it did to me), due to the much larger footprint of the OS. But as the original poster is probably referring to the new accelerators from Individual Computers, we're talking OS3 here. With a 68030 CPU.

7zip can use more than 128MB all by itself.
Web browser can use more than 128MB all by itself.
Certainly not on a classic Amiga, unless you plan on unpacking 7zip'ed movies from the net on your Amiga before you move them to the PC for watching... And there's no web browser that runs on a classic Amiga and requires anything close to 128 MB.

Editing gfx can use more than 128MB all by itself.
Editing music can use more than 128MB.
It can, yes. But who's editing "CD quality stereo audio tracks" on an A1200 these days?

Somebody mentioned 4 MB for a WHDLoad machine. That should be mostly okay, though having 8 MB wouldn't hurt for preloading the bigger games. If you have a 68020 CPU, there are no games that run at a decent speed on your setup and would require more than 8 MB (maybe 16, what's the game with the most disks?).

If you have a better CPU and would like to run some newer RTG games or the occasional application, you might manage to fill up 32 or 64 MB occasionally. But I can't imagine filling up 128 MB - unless you actually try to.

But having 128 MB doesn't give you any problems, and Jens probably couldn't get his hands on anything smaller at a cheap enough price, so 128 MB it is.

But hey, I'm one of the few who don't edit HD movies on their classic setup, so what do I know ;)

Total Chaos AGA takes 32MB.
Huh? For what? It seems to be a nice game, but it's still AGA - how do you fill up 32 MB using bitmapped graphics intended for a lores display? That's a serious question, I don't understand how a turn based strategy game for an AGA machine could need that much memory.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 11:25:12 PM by cgutjahr »

Offline cgutjahr

• Show all replies
Re: Is there any real use for 128MB on classic Amiga?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 02:26:40 AM »
Quote from: ChaosLord;716487

Today, right this second, I have 44 tabs open in my browser.
At 1920x1080 (which is not the Amiga's maximum resolution) each tab consumes  8MB of ram just for the rendered gfx + whatever else.  So that is at least 364MB.

What browser would that be? And on what operating system? If you manage to do that with AWeb or IBrowse, you'll have my eternal respect.

For starters it isn't using a lores display.  It uses HIRES | LACED

My fault, that one was misleading - I wasn't referring to the Amiga screen mode. I was using "lores" as short form of "extremely low resolution",  Hires Laced is an extremely low resolution by today's standards.

There are 8 screenbuffers

eight? Why eight? how big are the animations, 40x40 or something like that, and only one displayed at any given time with no scrolling taking place?

Its an Amiga.  It does gfx.  Why limit it?

The Total Chaos distribution is bigger than 90 MB and takes 10 minutes to self-extract on a 68030 CPU. That's why you limit yourself.