Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Is Vampyre not completely compatible?  (Read 4378 times)

Description:

Offline flaviosrTopic starter

• Show only replies by flaviosr
    • http://www.facebook.com/flaviosr
Re: Is Vampyre not completely compatible?
« Reply #74 from previous page: December 10, 2017, 08:31:10 PM »
Woooooo... finally I got it!!! In my previous tests I was not able to see the second CF on the second channel (as a secondary device of the CD-ROM).
So I decided to reinstall AmigaOS 3.1 from the scratch so also installing the newest EIDE'99 drivers (I previously installed the newer drivers over older ones).
And now everything seems to be the right way...
Now the difficult part... "rework" the case of the Amiga to fit everything!
A500 +A600 +A1000 +A1200 +CDTV
A500 +K3.0 +Viper520CD +
A1200T +K3.1 +Blizzard 603+ (240/50) +
A1200T +K3.1 +Blizzard 1240/40 +
A1200 +K3.1 +Blizzard 1230/50+CoPro +
A2000 +K3.1 +A2630 +
A3000 +K3.1 +Cyberstorm MkIII +
A4000 +K3.1 +A3630 +
A4000T +K3.1 +A3640 +

Offline Motormouth

« Reply #75 on: December 10, 2017, 09:55:51 PM »
Quote from: flaviosr;833979
Woooooo... finally I got it!!! In my previous tests I was not able to see the second CF on the second channel (as a secondary device of the CD-ROM).
So I decided to reinstall AmigaOS 3.1 from the scratch so also installing the newest EIDE'99 drivers (I previously installed the newer drivers over older ones).
And now everything seems to be the right way...
Now the difficult part... "rework" the case of the Amiga to fit everything!

Very cool! congrats!!!

Offline UberFreak

• Show only replies by UberFreak
« Reply #76 on: December 12, 2017, 06:14:55 PM »
Piracy does more good than bad, in my opinion.
Many people all over the world (me included) got to experience games, movies, TV and music that we would never get our hands on otherwise, either for lack of availability or money.
Not everything is available everywhere to buy.

Yes, its easier these days due to globalization, but when I grew up during the late 70s and 80s, it was really hard to get lots of stuff legally, sometimes impossible.

And then there's the subject of Hardware sales, which always spike when a platform is hacked/cracked.
DVD and Blu-Ray would've been small niche products if copying them was not possible, same with lots of other media types and formats.

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #77 on: December 12, 2017, 11:47:43 PM »
@thread

all non-amiga discussion about corporal punishment has been moved here. please keep posts in this thread at least tangentially related to vampire cards and the amiga. thanks. :)

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #78 on: December 13, 2017, 03:04:45 AM »
Quote from: UberFreak;834054
Piracy does more good than bad, in my opinion. Many people all over the world (me included) got to experience games, movies, TV and music that we would never get our hands on otherwise, either for lack of availability or money.
Not everything is available everywhere to buy.

Yes, its easier these days due to globalization, but when I grew up during the late 70s and 80s, it was really hard to get lots of stuff legally, sometimes impossible.

And then there's the subject of Hardware sales, which always spike when a platform is hacked/cracked.
DVD and Blu-Ray would've been small niche products if copying them was not possible, same with lots of other media types and formats.

Your opinion not withstanding, piracy steals income from the creators and discourages development.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline AmigaHope

• Show only replies by AmigaHope
« Reply #79 on: December 13, 2017, 01:24:32 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;834068
Your opinion not withstanding, piracy steals income from the creators and discourages development.

In some sense it does. With my career in the industry I can see it from my point of view -- video games put food on my table. At the same time I won't lie, the vast, VAST majority of games I played and loved I never would have had without piracy when I was a teenager.

...but those were different days. We live in a weird situation now. I can go to a bundle site today and get some great games *FOR LESS THAN THE PRICE OF A FLOPPY DISK* that was needed to pirate a game back in the day. I literally spent more money on pirating a game back then than I spend now legitimately buying a game.

Sure there are some AAA games now that are still expensive, and I can see how some people might still pirate them, but I'm older now and have more money, so if there's a game I really want I buy it -- or I wait a bit and it's cheaper -- or I wait only a couple of years and suddenly it's pennies on the dollar to buy it.

The funny thing now is that there's no longer much economic incentive for piracy for me. Piracy today seems more useful to get around broken/restrictive DRM. I have *boxed* games now that don't work out of the box and I have to download a crack to actually use them. =P

I dunno, I think it's just plain easier to rail on piracy now. I think we need to keep things in perspective about how expensive/different things were in the past (particularly for people in Eastern Europe before and shortly after the iron curtain came down).

And now, back to the original topic, I don't think we'll ever see 100% Vampire compatibility -- just "close enough". They don't want to sacrifice performance to implement expensive fixes for a few tiny edge cases. In that sense, whdload+piracy will save the old games we'd really like to play.

Offline David Wright

« Reply #80 on: December 13, 2017, 02:35:57 PM »
Well AmigaHope, that's a long winded rationalization for theft nonetheless.

You even threw the poor eastern Europeans in the mix for extra credit.

Offline AmigaHope

• Show only replies by AmigaHope
« Reply #81 on: December 20, 2017, 04:44:45 AM »
Just explaining the difference between then and now and the causes/motivations for piracy.

For instance, I have legitimately paid for around 4000 games in the past 10 years. I don't think that gives me the moral authority to go back in time to tell my 13-year-old self to go buy 4000 games. The financial weight of 4000 games today feels more like 40 games back in the day.