Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: This training seminar says it all about where MS is headed  (Read 1635 times)

Description:

Offline SysAdminTopic starter

• News posting Auto Agent
    • Show only replies by SysAdmin
    • http://www.a-eon.com
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
Re: This training seminar says it all about where MS is headed
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 07:44:47 AM »
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 02:47:21 PM by itix »
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 11:49:49 AM »
SaaS is probably a good model.  Offering training is a part of SaaS.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 12:20:20 PM »
Quote from: persia;763636
SaaS is probably a good model.  Offering training is a part of SaaS.
Why, it's such a good model that we almost totally abandoned it outside the mainframe market for the nearly four decades that personal computers have been a thing!
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline persia

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 02:16:41 PM »
Of course "the Cloud" isn't new, but it's so ubiquitous now.   Microsoft has taken a word processor as far as it can reasonably go, there's really no reason to keep buying updates to a programme that does everything you need, so there is a logic in giving away the programme and charging for the "Cloud" storage of the documents.  I can start editing a document at home on my desktop, work on it on the train on the way to work on my tablet, review it on my phone and finish it on a laptop at work.  I no longer care where I am or carry a USB stick.  It's there, all the time.  

Say you are sitting in Macca's and you suddenly have the answer you need, pull out your phone and edit it right there.  It's a loss of control, indeed the loss of the very control that drove the PC revolution.  But it's worth the trade off.  I just can't see us as a society going back now.  My entire 100 gigs of personal photos is there on every device I own or use.  My 200 gigs of music, there.  My letters, project documentation, etc, there.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 02:19:57 PM by persia »
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 02:21:56 PM »
Yeah, I can see how paying a subscription fee for a program that you don't actually need new versions of makes perfect sense.
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline persia

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 02:55:27 PM »
You are paying for the storage space on their servers, the programme isn't the product, it's a hook to entice consumers to use your server storage.  Yeah, the '80's me is uncomfortable with the loss of control, I can empathise with you.  Is it absolutely necessary for me to have the pictures from my '04 holiday on the beaches in Vietnam available to me 24/7?  No.  Is it necessary for me to have Blanchemange's "Living on the Ceiling" available to me right now?  No.  But if I can have it for a few bucks why not?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 03:06:22 PM »
You're paying for storage space on their servers when you can easily have reasonable amounts of portable storage much cheaper by just buying a dang thumbdrive (or huge amounts of non-portable storage vastly cheaper with a hard disk.) It's just stupid, no matter how much you try to rationalize it.

Offline stefcep2

• Show only replies by stefcep2
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 03:27:41 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;763643
You're paying for storage space on their servers when you can easily have reasonable amounts of portable storage much cheaper by just buying a dang thumbdrive (or huge amounts of non-portable storage vastly cheaper with a hard disk.) It's just stupid, no matter how much you try to rationalize it.

But you don;t have to carry that thumbdrive everywhere and what if you lose it (I lost a 32GB one)

The only issue is what happens if they decide they're closing the data centre down like Ubuntu did, or worse still, you data gets hacked/accessed by people you don't want to access.

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 03:31:10 PM »
Quote from: stefcep2;763645
But you don;t have to carry that thumbdrive everywhere and what if you lose it (I lost a 32GB one)

The only issue is what happens if they decide they're closing the data centre down like Ubuntu did, or worse still, you data gets hacked/accessed by people you don't want to access.
Well, exactly. You're paying subscription money to put your data in the hands of people you don't even know, in a place where anybody in the world could theoretically get to it, to save yourself the trouble of keeping track of a flash drive (keychain, people, keychain!)

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2014, 04:05:48 PM »
I'd have to side with John on this.
I maintain my own storage and only pay for media.
That way I don't have to worry if I can't access the internet.

If the cloud works for you, I'm not going to argue against it.
I'm slow to adopt anything, waiting until I really need a good or service.

Besides, subscribing to an internet service sounds so AOL.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2014, 12:23:20 AM »
You dont need to carry it with you anyway. I have access to my files via any device with a net connection without the need for a "cloud". Doesnt cost me anything either, and anyone can do the same.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline SysAdminTopic starter

• News posting Auto Agent
    • Show only replies by SysAdmin
    • http://www.a-eon.com
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2014, 01:44:11 AM »
B Gates is very confidant in the direction MS is heading.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/05/03/us-microsoft-gates-idUSBREA410YS20140503

:)
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2014, 02:50:52 AM »
And we all know Bill is absolutely uncompromising in his devotion to the best interests of Microsoft's users, and unerring in his judgement as to what that might be.

Offline prowler

• Show only replies by prowler
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2014, 06:25:44 AM »

It's not just the domestic market which companies are aiming at but also the enterprise/corporate market.

Microsoft is pushing the Azure product hard (running all your servers in the Microsoft cloud). Google Apps is also classified as SaaS and sales people in general are touting 'The cloud' as the magical silver bullet which will fix all your server woahs. Unfortunately, a lot of management, especially management which is not very technical swallow it all hook, line and sinker.

While 'The cloud' does have it's place, it is not the magical solution being pushed. it should be used to enhance your environment and not replace it. If your solution does not work on your own servers, it will not mystically start working when moved to the cloud.

The other thing which comes into play which has mentioned here is where your data is being stored. The problem for non-American companies is that even if the data is not stored on American property, if the company is American, the data still falls under the patriot act ie. the government can access it anyway.

As for the domestic side, there are a number of reasons Microsoft and others want you to use SaaS; They control it, you rent it, it's cheaper for them etc.

It's all about horse for courses and working out what you really need and with the corporate world, if you have th einhouse skills to manage it yourself or not. the other problem is, a large number of people don't really grasp the concept of what the cloud is. Just because it is being hosted externally does not make it a cloud solution.

I have seen things which make sense to put into the cloud but I have seen a lot of things which don't and have been.