Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: This annoys me  (Read 3417 times)

Description:

Offline save2600

• Show only replies by save2600
Re: This annoys me
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2013, 02:02:25 PM »
Humans beans are the original multi-taskers. During the time it takes a tape game to load, the little tykes could be preparing themselves some tea and crumpets!  :lol:

Offline CritAnime

• Previous Life Time Member
    • Show only replies by CritAnime
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2013, 02:44:15 PM »
Quote from: Megamig;752487
Who would want to use a datasette in 2013? It was revolting in the 80s - only those who could not afford a disk drive used them. The Commodore 64/128 were only enjoyable once a disk drive or two were attached.

I still use my Datasette even now. And why wouldn't I when a tape costs as little as £1 including delivery from ebay or 20p if you find a game on a carboot or charity shop.

The snobbery in this thread about something as trivial as game media in this thread is funny.

Offline TCMSLP

• Show only replies by TCMSLP
    • http://www.coherer.net
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2013, 03:59:05 PM »
I think the 'snobbery' comes from childhood views.  In the US tape was seen as inferior to disk.  In the UK tape was the normal option, only a few could afford disk systems.   I think you'll see bias in comments depending on geographic location.
A1200 50MHz 68030 16Mb, PCMCIA Ethernet, Indivision AGA MkIIcr
http://www.coherer.net Coherer: Electro!

Offline paul1981

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2013, 06:49:45 PM »
Quote from: TCMSLP;752498
I think the 'snobbery' comes from childhood views.  In the US tape was seen as inferior to disk.  In the UK tape was the normal option, only a few could afford disk systems.   I think you'll see bias in comments depending on geographic location.

Tape bias :laugh1:

Offline ajlwalker

• Show only replies by ajlwalker
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2013, 07:25:31 PM »
Quote from: JJ;752486
holly beep, who cares.  I can say that tape did take a long time, an did often fall over, dirty tape heads, bad alligment etc.  To say tape did not have problems is even more crazy than somone pretending it did

Over time turbo loaders reduced loading from tape dramatically, so the long time issue wasn't so much compared to disk.

As for reliability, the 1541 suffered from dirty heads etc just as much as datasettes, and I never had an original tape fail. Backups sometimes did, but copying tape to tape wasn't lossless so that was understandable.

If you kept your datasette clean and maintained it was an extremely reliable storage medium. I have 30 year old tapes that still load problem free as they have been stored well. I bet there are floppies that also work after this time and those that don't.

Offline ajlwalker

• Show only replies by ajlwalker
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2013, 07:26:10 PM »
Quote from: paul1981;752511

I see what you did there. Lol

Offline foleyjoTopic starter

• Show only replies by foleyjo
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2013, 07:35:36 PM »
To those who say 'who cares' and 'make your own video' you are missing the point. This wasn't just a YouTube video it was a news story on the BBC news.
As a news story it should be accurate and well researched.  Instead it's some guy who clearly doesn't know what he is doing andit uses uuntruthsfor comedy value.

For those that suffered failed loads, then maybe you should have taken better care of your dattasette unit. I still play my c64 and I don't get any load problems.

Those that say games take 10 mins or more to load, the average load time is 4 mins not including multi load levels.

I know everyone has there own memories of the c64 and I know that some people won't change there mind, but my main anger is based on bad journalism.

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2013, 09:24:53 PM »
Quote from: paul1981;752511

Ohh, ohh, please, no, my sides are splitting.

I tried my datasette once to load five cassettes in a game pack I picked up. 10 minutes sounds right to me. Not 3. And I could only get one to load. An hour well spent.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 09:28:33 PM by gertsy »

Offline foleyjoTopic starter

• Show only replies by foleyjo
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2013, 10:24:24 PM »
What games and what game pack or did you just make that up.

The ocean loaders are between 3 to 3min 30 seconds long. Takes about 30 seconds for them to start and 30 seconds from them finishing for the game to start. So these give some indication of how long games take to load.

Also remember I'm saying average load times. There may be a small number of games with long load times but most companies used fast loaders.

Plus my initial complaint about the 10 minute load time in the video is that buggy boy doesn't even take 5 mins to load never mind 10
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 10:34:20 PM by foleyjo »

Offline PanterHZ

• Show only replies by PanterHZ
    • http://www.rhz1.com
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2013, 03:28:32 AM »
Quote from: foleyjo;752427
As I said
Lie 1 he says there is a problem loading games when he has clearly pressed runs top to break out of the game
Lie 2 he says that the game has crashed during loading and makes out it is a common fault when there is no evidence of a crash and load errors are rare
Lie 3 buggy boy takes about 4 mins to load not 10

I also find his presentation to the kids lacking. There is another video on YouTube of someone introducing his kids to a c64 and he does a much better job

1. Maybe he had the tape running for some time without the C64 actually finding the game before he hit run stop.
2. At around 1:52 of the video, the animation on the loading screen goes too fast, and this is a clear sign of load error.
3. Not sure how much time buggy boy uses to load, but maybe he was adding the time of all failed attempts to the total time.

I think he did a good job with the presentation, because he asks the kids about what they think the hardware is, instead of telling them directly. And if he had been too technical, they would have just lost interest.

But what he should have tried with the problematic tape, is to fast forward it to the end, and then rewind it to the beginning. This was a method I used often with tape based games my C64, and it also minimized the risk of tape salad incidents. :)

Offline orange

• Show only replies by orange
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2013, 07:44:35 AM »
Quote from: paul1981;752438
I think I'm with you here. Only a few days ago I saw a Windows 7 Quad Core laptop with 4GB of ram take at least 10 minutes to actually load the desktop and be in a usable state. Crazy.
And load times from cassette tapes really aren't that bad. I think most of my C64 cassette games load up quicker than the average persons PC boots up.
As for UK users with 1541's, I only knew one, and he got his C64 rig in 1996... I don't have a 1541 either as I'm happy with my tapes and always have been. Might get a 1541 Ultimate one day though, but I do like loading games from tape.

maybe you should try loading Win7 from tapes? :)
Better sorry than worry.

Offline psxphill

« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2013, 12:07:32 PM »
Quote from: Plaz;752466
Fast-forward to 1984 and I don't know anyone who wasn't buying a 64 without a disk drive. I always believed Commodore made the tapes extra slow on purpose to get you to upgrade to a disk. :)

In the UK owning a disk drive was uncommon. I never even saw a 1541 in the local shops. Sure hard core sceners had them, but there were far more people that bought a c64 & tape drive because they were cheap and the games were cheap.

I bought an oceanic drive in 1988 as that was the first time I had any real money.

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by som99
    • http://www.som99.se
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2013, 12:40:25 PM »
I still use a few 40GB HP DDS-4 tapes for long time storage backups, belive me they aint fast either ;)

Offline Linde

• Show only replies by Linde
    • http://hata.zor.org/
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2013, 06:30:02 PM »
Who would want to use a datasette in 2013? It was revolting in the 80s - only those who could not afford a disk drive used them. The Commodore 64/128 were only enjoyable once a disk drive or two were attached.

Who would you want to use a C64 in 2013?

Offline Sutty100

• Show only replies by Sutty100
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2013, 07:33:18 PM »
Who would want to use a datasette in 2013?!

Mainframe at work still uses tapes for archived storage! If you pick a file that's been exported to tape a little grabbing arm goes and picks the tape and loads it in! Fun to watch it in action...but much slower then the SAN

Offline buzz

• Show only replies by buzz
« Reply #29 from previous page: November 12, 2013, 08:34:37 PM »
Quote from: foleyjo;752519
To those who say 'who cares' and 'make your own video' you are missing the point. This wasn't just a YouTube video it was a news story on the BBC news.
As a news story it should be accurate and well researched.  Instead it's some guy who clearly doesn't know what he is doing andit uses uuntruthsfor comedy value.

he completely knows what he is doing. He is well known in the c64/retro scene in the UK.