Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The end of Andriod?  (Read 4427 times)

Description:

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
Re: The end of Andriod?
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2013, 11:36:53 PM »
Quote from: SysAdmin;742985
@nicholas

You are right the hardware is good. I owned a Symbian Nokia phone before the iPhone and from a hardware standpoint it was nice. The joke is on Nokia now because they only support Windows Phone. What a way to ruin all hope of sales. They should offer Android as well so they can sell some units for a change.

I dont care what operating system my phone is running at. I just want to make phone calls and send text messages. Samsung S3 is quite good at that but it is unacceptable it reboots silently when it is passively waiting for incoming calls.

I dont know is it fault of Samsung or Android. Certainly I am not trying Samsung or Android anytime soon.

After Windows Phone fails just like the Kin phone and Zune maybe Nokia will wise up before they go out of business. Here's hoping.

If Windows Phone fails Nokia is dead. They dont have second chance. And I dont know if Android could rescue Nokia. In Europe everyone think Android = Samsung.

Nokia is probably gone for good. Dunno. Maybe Samsung too. Here in the states everyone is using iphone... I havent seen anyone using any other than iPhone here.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2013, 11:40:59 PM »
Quote from: Fats;742966
No. Wanna bet ?

+
perfectly silly article.
Android doesn't need Goggle to survive.
AND, btw, I don't care what iOS offers, I'm not using any current Apple software.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by som99
    • http://www.som99.se
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2013, 12:34:44 AM »
Quote from: nicholas;742984
Nokia have always made the best hardware, it's just a shame they tied themselves to the WinPhone abomination.

I loved nokia in the past, hardware was great but the move of keeping a crippled symbian as long as they did bugged me out.

I loved my Nokia N97 because of a hardware QWERTY keyboard, tho Symbian was not smart phone ready and had a lot of drawbacks also no direct access to the framebuffer, I later jumped on the Nokia N900 train and had high hopes for Maemo, Loved that phone to death, also a QWERTY keyboard so i  coded a lot on it on the go in VIM and typing was a breeze.

Then my N900 broke and I went Android because I did not want Windows phones, sure I have had old Windows phones like QTEK 9090 and 9000, loved both but the old Windows phone OS was rubbish but I compiled VM 6.5 for em and they worked a lot better.

Nowdays I like Android and am using CyanogenMod, tho I still want/need a hardware QWERTY keyboard, and unlucky as I am it seems the market is quite dry on those phones nowdays :( There pops up one now and then but not here in Sweden and I want Swedish keyboard layout since typing the thre last letters in the swedish alpabeth is a pain otherwise (åäö).

So atm I got a Samsung S3 4G (the 4G has 2GB ram and well 4G else it's near the same as the standard S3), still waiting for a decent phone with a full keyboard tho while im waiting I supported the iControlpad 2 on kickstarter and hope they are done soon and ill give it a shot.

Edit: as always i keep typing way to much xD
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 12:55:31 AM by som99 »

Offline pwermonger

• Show only replies by pwermonger
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2013, 01:51:19 AM »
That is an odd conclusion for the fact that Google has made a very inexpensive device not using the full Android OS. Especially considering you control the device from an Android phone, or Chrome browser on a computer.
Chromecast is not a $400-600 device. It's $35.
The article even states that the most likely reason to not have Android compatibility is to keep cost down, not that the they are ditching Android due to intellectual property issues.
Maybe if it walks like a duck, it really is a duck.

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2013, 09:00:03 AM »
Chromecast looks interesting, I admit. I'll be watching to see what development comes up around it.
Not sure what some people's issues are with Android. Then again, I only have pure Android devices (AOSP).

Offline Hattig

• Show only replies by Hattig
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2013, 09:06:51 AM »
Quote from: Pyromania;742956
Could the end be near in the not too far off future?

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/07/29/google-appears-ready-to-ditch-android-over-its-intellectual-property-issues

AppleInsider has become a very rabid Apple fansite and loves leaping to conclusions based around long articles with poor logic and lack of fact checking.  When they concentrate on Apple related stuff they can be quite good but they flounder when it comes to other systems.

The Chromecast only includes a stripped down ChromeOS and no Android because it's a $35 device engineered to do certain tasks, and those tasks don't include running Android.  It's hardly a shock that they reused their existing Google TV software stack in part. Most likely there is an aim to sell the design to TV manufacturers to include within their low to mid market TVs, with full Google TV in the higher end ranges.

Sheesh: "Android's Dalvik is essentially a rewritten, optimized variant of Sun's Java VM" - no, it's an entirely different virtual machine, register based, not stack based, and it's not very well optimised compared with a Java JIT JVM.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 09:13:25 AM by Hattig »

Offline polyp2000

• Show only replies by polyp2000
    • https://soundcloud.com/polyp/sets/polyp-2013
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2013, 09:30:23 AM »
Quote from: itix;743017
Quote from: SysAdmin;742985
Samsung S3 is quite good at that but it is unacceptable it reboots silently when it is passively waiting for incoming calls ...... I havent seen anyone using any other than iPhone here.

I have a Samsung S3 too - although I've never experienced any bugs on the scale you are talking about. I wonder if your phone is actually faulty or perhaps
you have installed some crapware thats futzing with it.

I dont subscribe to the closed apple ecosystem and im just not that hip! Although when my contract expires and im up for a new mobile i will consider
other brands. This is not through any bad experiences with Samsung (I've previously had a S1) - I just think its worth evaluating the competition. Some of the top-end HTC devices look pretty slick too.

N

Offline AppleIIGuy

• Show only replies by AppleIIGuy
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2013, 07:01:38 AM »
What I find interesting is how people want to compare numbers of devices by using every android device against Apple devices when most of the android devices sold are just low end feature phone replacements which will most likely never get updated.
Why not just compare the numbers of Premium high-end smartphones ie Samsung S3/4

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2013, 07:35:33 AM »
Quote from: Argo;743067
Chromecast looks interesting, I admit. I'll be watching to see what development comes up around it.
Not sure what some people's issues are with Android. Then again, I only have pure Android devices (AOSP).

Was some updates / announcements of app support for Chromecast that make it a heck of a lot more attractive than it was even a week ago.

A few days ago, I wouldn't have recommended it to too many people, but it seems like the support for applications/extensions on the thing are developing rapidly (Vimeo, Redbox, Plex, Pandora, Revision 3, AOL all said they were developing for it within the last few days).  I'm getting quite a bit of use out of mine for Netflix, as I'm tired of paying for Xbox Gold and Netflix on top of that.

That being said, you are still dependent on a laptop/tablet.phone to really do a darned thing with the Chromecast, but that doesn't bother me too much since my phone already has an app to run virtually everything on my TV/IPTV service.

For $35, well worth looking at for the tech savvy or geek at heart.  Shame they nixxed the Netflix 3 month sub, though.

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2013, 09:05:05 AM »
Quote from: polyp2000;743069

I have a Samsung S3 too - although I've never experienced any bugs on the scale you are talking about. I wonder if your phone is actually faulty or perhaps
you have installed some crapware thats futzing with it.

I did install some software from Samsung App Store. I was also thinking that there could be a fault in hardware but bugs I found are reproducible. It just seem to be sensitive to certain touch screen actions and lockup and finally reboot (I assume a watchdog comes to rescue).
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline nicholas

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2013, 02:05:30 PM »
Quote from: itix;743231
I did install some software from Samsung App Store. I was also thinking that there could be a fault in hardware but bugs I found are reproducible. It just seem to be sensitive to certain touch screen actions and lockup and finally reboot (I assume a watchdog comes to rescue).

Root it then install ROM Manager from the Play Store, then use that to wipe the Samsung crap and install CM10.1 you won't regret it. :)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline psxphill

« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2013, 05:44:47 PM »
Quote from: AppleIIGuy;743224
What I find interesting is how people want to compare numbers of devices by using every android device against Apple devices when most of the android devices sold are just low end feature phone replacements which will most likely never get updated.

It is a valid comparison. It's Apple's fault that they don't have a product for each type of market.

Offline Megamig

• Show only replies by Megamig
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2013, 06:02:41 PM »
Here in the states everyone is using iphone... I havent seen anyone using any other than iPhone here.

Might have a lot to do with Apple's designed in California (but assembled in China).

Shame that corporate greed is more important to Apple compared to giving jobs to fellow Americans. :laughing:
Too many A500s
2x A1200 (3.1 DKB Cobra inc. Ferret)
A2000 HD

Offline kickstart

• Show only replies by kickstart
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2013, 11:44:39 PM »
talking about android... i have a samsung tablet with the "great" android, everyone talks about the marvellous of rooting the device but for what? I prefer to uninstall many applications that i cant and a way to smooth the device without cyanogens or whatever rom. Im just asking from my ignorance of android.
a1200 060

Offline nicholas

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2013, 11:50:37 PM »
Quote from: kickstart;743296
talking about android... i have a samsung tablet with the "great" android, everyone talks about the marvellous of rooting the device but for what? I prefer to uninstall many applications that i cant and a way to smooth the device without cyanogens or whatever rom. Im just asking from my ignorance of android.

To root a device means to enable administrator account to use Windows parlance.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline psxphill

« Reply #29 from previous page: August 01, 2013, 12:09:20 AM »
I havent seen anyone using any other than iPhone here.

Which is odd because the statistics I saw had Android ahead of iPhone. But you might live in an iPhone bubble, someone else might not see nothing but Android phones.