Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: FastATA - Step 2 -  (Read 4661 times)

Description:

Offline LegerdemainTopic starter

• Show only replies by Legerdemain
FastATA - Step 2 -
« on: October 19, 2002, 09:44:09 PM »
...and so the story goes on to tell you all about the boy who finally got around all the earlier problems and found a way to get the harddrives and other devices to be recognized by the FastATA.

Now there's just one small problem left. MAJOR, that is.

I've installed the drivers, and ATA3Prefs finds both the Primary Master ATA HD, and the Secondary Master ATAPI DVD. AllegroCDFS makes a dosdriver, CD2, and puts it into the Devs/Dosdrivers catalouge. Now, so far everything works fine... BESIDES THE D*MN DVD NOT WORKING AT ALL! It doesn't matter how much I fiddle around, nothing happens when I put a CD into the DVD, and Workbench refuses to see that CD2 actually is mounted, although it says "Device already mounted" when trying to mount it again.

The device is simply not accesable although recognized and, supposedly, mounted!

WHY IS THIS? WHY DOESN'T ANYTHING WORK! WHAT IS THE PROBLEM WITH THE S*IT!

Oh, and by the way, the DVD is fine. When attached to the internal IDE-interface, together with, say a HD, it works just fine with the help of IDEFix'97.

BUT I NEED IT TO WORK WITH THE FASTATA! Othwervise I won't be able to install the damn drivers for my PCI-cards from the Mediator CD.
Amiga 1200, Mirage Tower, PC-Key 1200, Blizzard 1260/50, SCSI Kit, 256MB RAM, 40GB HD, Mediator SX, Soundblaster 128, Voodoo 3 and Realtek 8139.

Offline JaXanim

• Show only replies by JaXanim
    • http://www.intuitionbase.com/waveguide/home.html
Re: FastATA - Step 2 -
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2002, 10:10:15 PM »
Maybe if you stopped shouting.
Maybe if you stopped swearing,
Maybe somebody will help you.
Maybe...

Cheers,

JaXanim
Be inspired! It\\\'s back!

Offline seer

• Show only replies by seer
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2002, 10:20:13 PM »
Indeed, your posts are a pain to read.

Check the moutnlist for CD2, like does it have the correct device handler, filesystem etc etc. Are there any other CD devices mounted at the same time like CD0, CD1 even tho they aren't really attached to the computer ?

How do you acces the drive (again CD0 CD1 ?) when you boot from the internal IDE interface ?

MAybe you can post the mountlist(s) and maybe somebody can help you out who has first hands experience with your typo of controller

~
Everything you say will be misquoted and used against you.
~

Re: FastATA - Step 2 - F*CK THE S*IT!!!
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2002, 10:20:45 PM »
If you knew what I'd been through with that computer you would understand my frustration. It is not like it is the first problem...  it is like the 15th problem.

Besides having bought a broken Blizzard 1220, then changed that one into a 1230, just to find out that 1230 had a major manufacturers fault making the graphics just being nothing but garbage, and also bought a Squrriel PCMCIA SCSI Interface where one of the slots in the connector wasn't open so I managed to push one of the PCMCIA pins into the socket and way out of reach just to, when finally having fixed it, having the CD-Rom burn up on me... whereas it went on to find out that my motherboard had a faulty Gayle-chip making the FastATA extremely unstable and unreachable, to, when having managed to solve that, just stumble across yet another problem: not being able to access the DVD as a regular CD-Rom to install the drivers for my newly bought Mediator.

It feels like a sick parody of, well something...

So, I am sorry if I have been rude in any way, but it feels like I deserve to get the hardware up and running now after all the problems I've experienced.
Amiga 1200, Mirage Tower, PC-Key 1200, Blizzard 1260/50, SCSI Kit, 256MB RAM, 40GB HD, Mediator SX, Soundblaster 128, Voodoo 3 and Realtek 8139.

Offline seer

Re: FastATA - Step 2 - F*CK THE S*IT!!!
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2002, 10:32:06 PM »
If you knew what I'd been through with that computer you would understand my frustration.

Well, I've had my portion of frustration (I solve these problems for about 800 others on a daily basis, only difference is they work on NT4 systems with ancient hardware... Not to mention lots of DOS programs... And don't get me started on the Cash registers (Not sure that's the correct name) we use in our stores that are just on their last legs, and me having to fix them with broken spare parts because management doesn't want to buy new systems.. Eh.. But that's not what this is about)..

Just stay calm, ask whatever you want or need to know, but you can't expect any help if you come in with al guns blazing.. I'm sure somebody can help you out. Maybe not today, but somebody will...
~
~

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2002, 10:34:26 PM »

seer wrote:
Indeed, your posts are a pain to read.

My posts? Not that I have written any other posts using this inproper language before or having been unpolite in any way, but fine, I agree that my above written post isn't one of the prettiest.

Check the moutnlist for CD2, like does it have the correct device handler, filesystem etc etc. Are there any other CD devices mounted at the same time like CD0, CD1 even tho they aren't really attached to the computer?

I have tried scsi.device, just like they tell me to in the manual, also I have tried atapi- and trackdisk.device just be sure that those were unsuable in this context. I have also tried changed the unit number of the scsi.device, since 2 doesn't work (although it should be like this: prim. mast. = 0, prim. slave = 1, sec. mast = 2, sec slave = 3.

I have no other CD-devices mounted at the same time.

How do you acces the drive (again CD0 CD1 ?) when you boot from the internal IDE interface ?

Like I said, I just connect it to the IDE cable, let's say at connector #2 and the 3.5" IDE HD at connector #1. Then I just install IdeFix'97 and there the CD is, fully usable although the DVD-specific funtcions are not available. This I have done not on the same Workbench installation as the one I am using now, since IdeFix'97 and AllegroCDFS then gets into a software-based conflict, you know.

Offline seer

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2002, 10:43:53 PM »
Have you tried another CD filesystem ? I had a similar problem with my CD drive way back, the drive was mounted, but it just wouldn't read the CD (The disc did spin tho, but the drive light was out), when I switched CD filesystems and some customizing the problem was solved.. This was however way back when the A4000/030 (or was it whe IDEfix97?) was just released, I never had the same problem after that..
~
~

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2002, 10:48:18 PM »
No, actually I haven't.

For some reason I got lost in the fact that I am using a FastATA now, thinking that, say, IDEFix´97 wouldn't work since I am using a different IDE-controller. Uhm, maybe I have to try out IDEFix again.

Offline seer

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2002, 10:54:30 PM »
IDEfix was offcourse written for the original controller of the 1200/400, but the CD filesystem that came (comes) with isn't... But if that one doesn't work, you might want to look for others on Aminet or some other commercial sollution... Sorry to say that I don't know how many CD filesystems there are these days, as I have no need for them anymore  :-(
~
~

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2002, 11:39:47 PM »
It was a dead end with the CDFS that came with IDEFix'97, though. Did not get it to work.

Offline ShadesOfGrey

• Show only replies by ShadesOfGrey
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2002, 02:34:41 AM »
You might want to take a look at DVD-RAM.lha under disk/misc on Aminet.  Here's a snippet from the readme:

Yes, you can use DVD and DVD-RAM drives with your Amiga.

This package contains information on DVD and DVD-RAM hardware with some hopefully useful tools.

DVD UDF Bridge support using standard Amiga CD Filesystems.

CD-ROM, DVD-ROM and DVD-Video disc drivers have been tested.

DVD-RAM Versions 1 & 2 (2.6 GB, 4.7 GB) disc drivers have been tested.
Unless otherwise explicitly stated, this message is not meant to affirm nor deny, defend nor offend any faction within the \\\'Amiga\\\' Community.