Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A2000 big hardware problem or not ?  (Read 10028 times)

Description:

Offline AdMartin

• Show only replies by AdMartin
    • http://www.admonish.org/
Re: A2000 big hardware problem or not ?
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2002, 11:42:58 PM »
That's correct, it should only be connected to one pin or it will malfunction. According to the description in http://ftp.sunet.se/~aminet/dirs/aminet/hard/hack/2MegAgnus50d5.lha "you must connect the clip lead to pin 36 of the GARY chip or pin 48 of the 68000 chip". I think it's best to connect it to the Gary chip, since any accelerator would disable the 68000. Or maybe it doesn't matter.

/Martin

Offline Desmon

• Show only replies by Desmon
Re: A2000 big hardware problem or not ?
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2002, 10:28:28 AM »
@Effy

Desmon my man, if you were here I would give you a kiss, even if ya're a man !! It works !! I just took the Agnus out of the A500, took the MiniMegaChip out of the A2000 and placed the A500 chip in return and it worked !! I now get the kickstart 3.1 screen !! (that kickstart also comes from that A500)

Yup. Sounds just like my Rev6 A2k. It'll run like a charm until I install the Megachip. I had to revert to a Rev4 motherboard.

And now another question, not so urgent or mega important, but in that A500 I have got ECS installed instead of the original OCS. I might be nice to put that in the A2000 too, but which chip is that ??

That'll be the Denise chip. (8362 = OCS, 8363 = ECS)
[/quote]
Kronos : is that the Denise chip you just talked about ?? I've seen that the chip in the A2000 is a CSG chip and the A500 has got a MOS chip ...[/quote]
Yeah, the chips were made by two different manufacturers. MOS was bought out by C= around 1990.
BTW, the Obese Agnus chip on that Megacip unit is still worth around $40 USD if you intend selling it.
Cache Ya,
Craig.

Busy playing with my Trainz and loving it!

Offline EffyTopic starter

• Show only replies by Effy
Re: A2000 hardware questions
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2002, 02:36:58 PM »
What's so special about that Obese Angus chip ??

Got another question. On da back of the turboboard (2630) is a strange kind of white slot, or is it two slots ?! Anybody knows what's that for ?? Just wondering ... like to expand stuff ...

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2002, 03:04:07 PM »
@effy

So it is an orginal C= turbo ?

The slot is for this

There was also a 2nd RAM-expansion, but I forgot it's name.
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2002, 03:04:20 PM »
Okay, it all boots up into a Workbench 2.0, or as Showconfig says Disk Version 38.12 and kickstart 40.63. Da A2630 has got da 68030 with fpu and mmu but only 2 Mb Ram on it which is in my eyes extremely low !! I'm used to have at least 64 Mb on my A1200 !! But hey, I just got started !! Those 2060 boards are getting cheaper and cost less than a 1260 card and certainly less than a 68060 for A4000.
Next question. Sorry guys but this is all too new and exiting for me !! I feel like a little kid in a play store !! When I open up da A2000 I see on da very left two slots that are half da size of da other Zorro slots. Do they have a function too ?? Is this for cards like Hypercom and Buddha ?? I've got such cards that I used to have in my towered A1200 (bfor it crashed) ...
I plan on using the 5,25" inch bay to put a scsi cdrom (a Plextor rewriter that won't write anymore) in it. Any other suggestions what this bay can be used for ??

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2002, 03:16:17 PM »
Kronos : DKB 2632 seems to be something very interesting !! 112 Mb Ram can be added, Simms or EDO's !! Cool !! No, Megacool !! But da story is probably that you can't find it anymore ... but a big thanx for da info !!

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2002, 03:53:01 PM »
And even if you would find onr , it would probraly make more
sense to search for a used Blizzard2060, which offers up to
128mb,SCSI and a CPU ten times faster  :-D
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2002, 07:55:25 AM »
I'm also spending a lot of my time on A2000. Maybe also money in the future. I'm also planing  to put a scsi cd-rom in A2000.

This bay could also be used for hardware monitor (LCD display + all sorts of switches, controllers of airflow ...) or you could build I/O card and use it with sensors ...

Or you could try even more radical changes/modifications.

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2002, 08:20:56 AM »
There is A2000 + A2060 on ebay.de :

Verkaufe Amiga 2000 Komplettpaket incl. Original Commodore-Monitor 1084S. Der Rechner hat folgende Austattung: Blizzard 2060 SCSI Turbokarte, 1 GB SCSI Festplatte, CD-Rom, 16 MB Fast RAM, 2.internes HD Diskettenlaufwerk, Monitor 1084 S mit Monitorstander, Joystick. Alles ist installiert und funktionsfähig.

Aktuelles Gebot  EUR 89,00
Startpreis  EUR 40,00
Menge  1
Gebote  4
Verbleibende Zeit  5 Tage, 5 Stunden +

Offline Desmon

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2002, 09:51:49 AM »
@Effy

Okay, it all boots up into a Workbench 2.0, or as Showconfig says Disk Version 38.12 and kickstart 40.63.

That's odd. You have a 3.1 Kickstart and Workbench 2.0 Why?

Da A2630 has got da 68030 with fpu and mmu but only 2 Mb Ram on it which is in my eyes extremely low !! I'm used to have at least 64 Mb on my A1200 !! But hey, I just got started !! Those 2060 boards are getting cheaper and cost less than a 1260 card and certainly less than a 68060 for A4000.

Yeah. The best thing I ever did for my 2000 was the Blizzard. I only have 32MB on the accelerator, but still have three vacant SIMM slots.

Next question. Sorry guys but this is all too new and exiting for me !! I feel like a little kid in a play store !! When I open up da A2000 I see on da very left two slots that are half da size of da other Zorro slots. Do they have a function too ?? Is this for cards like Hypercom and Buddha ?? I've got such cards that I used to have in my towered A1200 (bfor it crashed) ...

No. Those two slots are ISA, same as older PCs use. You'll need a bridgeboard to use either. The GoldenGate was the unit to get, if you can find one these days.

I plan on using the 5,25" inch bay to put a scsi cdrom (a Plextor rewriter that won't write anymore) in it. Any other suggestions what this bay can be used for ??

Maybe a Syquest drive, if you can find one cheap. Even an internal SCSI Zip disk would do it.
Cache Ya,
Craig.

Offline Desmon

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2002, 09:57:29 AM »
@Effy

What's so special about that Obese Angus chip ?

There were only several thousand made and even without the Megachip unit they can be used to expand a 1MB A2000 or A500 to 2MB of chip RAM.
Cache Ya,
Craig.

Re: Obese Angus chip
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2002, 02:57:34 PM »
If that chip can be used to expand da chip Ram then why do they put it on a little board ?? Just wondering ...
I changed my mind about inserting a cdrom into da 5,25" bay. I'm thinking about getting a Catweasel Z2 so I can read my old C64 5,25" discs using an old pc discdrive. I forgot that under my table there's an old desktop pc standing that I modified to use as a scsi case with two cdroms and two harddrives, so I might better put that desktop under my A2000 ...
Getting a bridgeboard in order to use ISA slots doesn't make much sense when I'm already using a 1700+ AMD ...
But thanx for that idea about Ebay !! I shall go and have a look too !!

Offline Desmon

Re: Obese Angus chip
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2002, 10:16:18 AM »
@Effy

If that chip can be used to expand da chip Ram then why do they put it on a little board ?? Just wondering ...

Because the board carries the extra Meg of RAM that you'd need to otherwise add to the motherboard manually. Actually, IIRC I had to remove the 4 chips that made up the first meg and replace them with chips to make up 2MB. Then there's all the rest of the work in builing a line across to the Gary chip just to get the new address recognised.
The Megachip was such a big seller because it didn't need all the soldering and cutting.
Cache Ya,
Craig.

Re: A2000, more hardware problems or not ?
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2002, 09:02:32 AM »
More problems, at least one. I tried to connect an external scsi case to my scsi controller with its Evolution.device. Tried different scsi cable but no result. The computer won't detect anything else but the one internally connected harddrive. In the external case there are two cdroms and one harddrive, all with different adresses through jumper settings so that is not a reason for problems. Actually, just to make sure, I disconnected two devices and left only a cdrom connected with a jumper on it so it doesn't have adress zero like the internal harddrive ... sorry, the ScsiInquire of AsimCDFS does not detect anything else but that hd ... possible reason is a terminator on the card that I don't know of. But I do remember that on my (R.I.P.) A500 with a scsi harddrive with Evolution.device too that that one also didn't detect anything else but the connected hd, and that with kickstart 3.1 !!!! My other A500+ had a A590 with a 'normal' scsi.device and that one didn't have any problem at all to detect a cdrom !!!
It can't be that such a Zorro2 scsi card is not made to detect anything external because there is an external connector. So what is the reason ??? I wanna keep the internal 5,25" bay free for something else than a cdrom (ex-Plextor rewriter).
Any clever advice would be very appreciated !!!

Offline Desmon

« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2002, 09:50:44 AM »
@Effy
More problems, at least one. I tried to connect an external scsi case to my scsi controller with its Evolution.device. Tried different scsi cable but no result. The computer won't detect anything else but the one internally connected harddrive. In the external case there are two cdroms and one harddrive, all with different adresses through jumper settings so that is not a reason for problems. Actually, just to make sure, I disconnected two devices and left only a cdrom connected with a jumper on it so it doesn't have adress zero like the internal harddrive ... sorry, the ScsiInquire of AsimCDFS does not detect anything else but that hd ... possible reason is a terminator on the card that I don't know of.

Sounds like you lave a "LastDevice" setting somewhere on the internal HDD. Either that or the SCSI interface may have it's external bus "turned off". Look around the 'net for docs on the card if possible and aslo see if you can find a copy of GVP's FaaastPrep to check the LastDevice setiing.
But I do remember that on my (R.I.P.) A500 with a scsi harddrive with Evolution.device too that that one also didn't detect anything else but the connected hd, and that with kickstart 3.1 !!!! My other A500+ had a A590 with a 'normal' scsi.device and that one didn't have any problem at all to detect a cdrom !!!

Yeah, see above. My old A2091 would happily play with any device on the external bus, unless the device happened to have removeable media (CDROM, Zip, et al) until I finally found a firmware upgrade for it. Could be part of your problem too.
Cache Ya,
Craig.

« Reply #29 from previous page: October 18, 2002, 06:08:56 PM »
Further explanations. On the card I read 'SCSI- FILECARD Evolution 1990' ... there seems to be a switch on the end of the card on the outside, and when I switch it then the computer won't boot from it's internal harddrive and I get the kickstart 3.1 screen. But when I try to boot with my Install3.1 disc it says 'No Dos Disk in DF0'. Should my original disc be screwed up ?? Don't know. Am trying to find my other OS 3.1 discs but my room seems to be bigger than I thought if you know what I mean ...
There's also a jumper on the card itself and I just moved it so I need to find out what happens or not ...