Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: OS4 still hasn't came yet?  (Read 7919 times)

Description:

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
Re: OS4 still hasn't came yet?
« on: March 26, 2003, 08:43:07 PM »
Speaking of OS4, is anybody else sick of hearing the Hyperion team getting slated for the delays etc, or is it just me?

It's not as if the world's largest operating systems producer ever hit a release date on time and that's with a devloper team and budget that totally dwarfs Hyperion by comparison.

I understand the frustration but come on guys, I'm sure theyr'e doing their best. Show a little levity. We waited a decade for a new platform. Whats a few more months?
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
Re: OS4 still hasn't came yet?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2003, 11:44:52 AM »

Warface wrote:

The problem is - their task is not to make a brand new Operating System. It's just port an existing operating system to a different architecture. It's not even an expectation to have all of it's parts PPC native. Everything is at their disposal - 68K emulators, AmigaOS sources, etc.

What you have got to keep in mind is that most of the AmigaOS kernel source is written for 68K, in asm. Just moving the code to C, whilst maybe not that difficult conceptually, is nonethless a time consuming task in itself.

Further to that, it isn't a port exactly. There are many features that are not present in previous versions of the OS, including a total rewrite of Exec, and other critical resources. Also, as far as I understand it, Hyperion are working hard to make the system as PPC native as possible.
What I'm trying to say is that there is a lot more work than people seem to think.

Anyway, nice to see that we have some positive opinions here too :-D
int p; // A