Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jens Shoenfeld's anwer to the Apollo petition  (Read 20332 times)

Description:

Offline XanxiTopic starter

• Show all replies
Jens Shoenfeld's anwer to the Apollo petition
« on: June 04, 2012, 04:00:12 PM »
Hi.

As the petition is closed since the 31th of May, i have mailed Jens Schoenfeld with the link to the signatures.

Here is his answer, that i am allowed to quote:

Hi,

I learned about this petition just now, and I have to say that it's way out of line to ask for this stuff for free.

I've paid good money for these rights in order to let the Apollo boards rest in peace. I will not let go of any code or schematics, because these boards make an Amiga unstable. They are the prime cause for Amigans leaving the market: An unstable Amiga is no fun, and hardly anyone will accept that it's the Apollo card causing the trouble. If you're interested, I can dig up one of the many explanations that I have posted online and in private eMails, so you can post that in the amiga.org thread (you know I'm not there any more).

That said, I'm willing to change my policy if serious money is involved. Here's the model:

- I'll change my policy from "if you have an Apollo, it's your choice and if it works, fine", to the new policy: No support for any Apollo-equipped Amiga whatsoever". This includes any and all products, old and new.

- I'll sell MACH131 chips programmed for Apollo 1260 and Eprom chips with the required code, combined for 150,- EUR each, plus shipping. This price does not guarantee anything, just proper function of the MACH131 in a system with no promises of any improvement over the MACH130 that people had before. Should the MACH131 not work as expected, I'll replace it once. Should the replacement still not work, I will refund the chip for 4,- EUR. The remaining 144,- EUR have been paid for the code license in the Eprom.

- once 267 chip-upgrades are sold (40k EUR barrier crossed), I will release the jedec file of the MACH131 of the Apollo 1260 for non-commercial use. Should anyone start offering MACH131 for more than 4,- EUR each, I will go after him. The jedec file of the MACH210 and schematics will remain closed.

ciao,
--
Jens Schönfeld

And then another answer:

If the cards work fine for you, good for you. However, having insight into the inner workings, I know that the MACH chips are operated way out of their specifications. To be more specific, the design is full of syncronous flipflops with async set/clear equations, which are not specified to work at these high frequencies. As a result, the whole design may or may not work, depending factors that nobody can influence.

And yes, please quote me, but please quote whole eMails, not just single sentences.

so short,
--
Jens Schönfeld

So here is the official position and not just a rumor to answer the 74 people who signed the petition.

I will let you make your own opinion.

Regards.
10 Classic Amiga Computers so far: I have too many computers!!

• Show all replies
Re: Jens Shoenfeld's anwer to the Apollo petition
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 07:11:21 PM »
Oh no, not that old thread again!

I think that everything possible has been made, and it is very unlikely that the money will be gathered one day. There is more probabilities that i will meet aliens from deep space during my lifetime than i will get the jedec file for the MACH131 one day.

In the meantime, i still have an Apollo 1240 that needs a MACH 131, so if you have that, just PM.

• Show all replies
Re: Jens Shoenfeld's anwer to the Apollo petition
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 10:38:24 PM »
Quote from: LoadWB;733915
Howdy, neighbor!

Yeah, that day may be coming sooner than expected :)
Look at the numerous amazing planet discoveries by Kepler:

Hopefully, those aliens will be technologically advanced enough to easily duplicate any MACH file :D