Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Amiga defeats patent troll  (Read 4440 times)

Description:

Offline sim085

• Show only replies by sim085
Re: The Amiga defeats patent troll
« Reply #14 from previous page: May 15, 2010, 09:22:36 AM »
Is "User Interface with Multiple Workspaces for Sharing Display System Objects" what I think it is? i.e. - A window that can have the same icons as another window? or I am not understanding this correctly?

Offline Ral-Clan

• Show only replies by Ral-Clan
    • http://www3.sympatico.ca/clarke-santin/
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2010, 01:11:24 PM »
I wish this article would explain what the initial case was about.  It just talks about the result of the case.  I can sort of see that it involves windows switching or something, but a simple summary of exactly what patent was being contested would help.
Music I've made using Amigas and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com

Offline asymetrix

• Show only replies by asymetrix
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2010, 02:36:21 PM »
great news. I guess they owe us one.

Glad they remembered us.

Maybe Amiga can help defeat other patent trolls:

http://www.post-issue.org/

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2010, 06:09:44 PM »
Quote from: KThunder;558570
How many pcs have capacitors burning out because they are the wrong way around, or batteries puking their guts onto the motherboard, or wirewrap timing fixes, etc. etc. etc.

oh, wait actually I've seen all that myself, never mind. The oldest pc I have is a commodore pentium from 1995 or 96? still works fine :)

this is true. I guess we just get used to peecee's being cycled through and discarded.

Its funny because I have an old laptop that had windows 98 on it, when a friend gave it to me. The screen is getting a bit fuzzy and there's some sort of issue with the one USB port in the back, but otherwise it works great

Offline mel_zoom

• Show only replies by mel_zoom
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2010, 06:25:34 PM »
This article was a nice read.

I think people have gotten too used to hardware that fails in a few years. No wonder people are surprised to see a 25 year old machine up and running :-o
I love my MX5!
Please pay a visit

Offline Zac67

• Show only replies by Zac67
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2010, 10:13:22 PM »
C64 here still in good health - 27th birthday is in a couple of days. So what's the fuzz?
Darl's completely nuts anyway... Oh wait, he got sacked last year - but the rest ain't any better. :smack:
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 10:16:02 PM by Zac67 »

Offline Amiga_Nut

• Show only replies by Amiga_Nut
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2010, 10:41:10 PM »
I think comparing how many original ST's (with no internal drive or TV RF modulator) or original 1984 Apple Macs are still working is a better way of looking at it than IBM PC-XTs. Both those machines are unique in a way and could have been kept alive with parts from the next model down. I think however A1000 owners are just that bit more passionate about keeping their machines alive than the equivalent Atari ST/Mac classic owner.

1. PCs of that era were only business machines.
2. The PC-AT purchased to replace the XT had 100% identical functionality so made the original redundant.

In todays world of Xbox 360 struggling to make it to 12 months use (and stupid fan boys on their 3rd console which they purchased from their own monies!) yes it seems incredible that such machines should work.

However in my summer house there is both a 1979 Atari VCS and a 1980 Commodore VIC-20 (serial number in early 3 digits) working flawlessly so for me it is no surprise. And even if one of them should fail I would fix it because a working C64 or Amiga is no replacement for a VIC-20 :) But then some models of PET are extremely rare because they had no love and were junked by the owning business when they started to play up. Sad but true :(

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2010, 01:07:24 AM »
Quote from: Amiga_Nut;558725
In todays world of Xbox 360 struggling to make it to 12 months use (and stupid fan boys on their 3rd console which they purchased from their own monies!) yes it seems incredible that such machines should work.

One of my friends keep raving about how awesome his 360 is.. and he is on his third.

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2010, 01:53:47 AM »
Imagine if Xerox or their IP purchaser, Apple, tried to put out a retrospective IP Inovation claim for WIMPs.

Atari
Amiga
x86 Windows
X11
Linux and Open GUIs
Even c64 GEOs

Would all be potential targets.

But as Apple already make "passive" claim for the first "true" Personal Computer: The Apple (Apple 1 is the retrospective naming), the above is possibly moot.
BTW: it was released on "April 1st" 1976. (And we're still waiting for the punchline from Job's?)
As it was, the Apple(1) was a Kit so from an innovation perspective of a usable Personal Computer product they miss the IP boat.  Back then such devices were called "Micro Computers"
It was the Commodore Pet in 1977 that was the first complete (Keyboard, base unit, monitor) micro computer for the public consumer. It was produced and marketed as a PC. Closely followed by the Apple II.

So who actualy owns the Commodore name and the IP potential to the inovation of an actual marketed product that includes a Monitor, baseunit and keyboard for personal use.?

Of course the final logical step in this possible line of legal precedent would be Charles Babbage's decendents claim.  

It's a never ending story.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 01:56:02 AM by gertsy »

Offline Amiga_Nut

• Show only replies by Amiga_Nut
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2010, 02:23:06 AM »
And a nice counter claim on behalf of KS/WB for a multitasking GUI on a desktop computer, that is the sole property of Amiga :)

Copyright is just a dirty tin of worms anywhere in the digital world. We're not going to make it to the Star Trek age of warp drive starships with all this copyright bullshit going on!

edit: And perhaps everyone still making a GUI OS should then have to refund all profits ever made and hand the lot over to Egypt. After all those are the inventors of iconic symbolism no? Hieroglyphics after all are not art they are a system of communication (unlike cave paintings which are just art). :)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 02:26:06 AM by Amiga_Nut »

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2010, 10:22:30 PM »
Quote from: gertsy;558746
Imagine if Xerox or their IP purchaser, Apple, tried to put out a retrospective IP Inovation claim for WIMPs.

Atari
Amiga
x86 Windows
X11
Linux and Open GUIs
Even c64 GEOs

Would all be potential targets.

But as Apple already make "passive" claim for the first "true" Personal Computer: The Apple (Apple 1 is the retrospective naming), the above is possibly moot.
BTW: it was released on "April 1st" 1976. (And we're still waiting for the punchline from Job's?)
As it was, the Apple(1) was a Kit so from an innovation perspective of a usable Personal Computer product they miss the IP boat.  Back then such devices were called "Micro Computers"
It was the Commodore Pet in 1977 that was the first complete (Keyboard, base unit, monitor) micro computer for the public consumer. It was produced and marketed as a PC. Closely followed by the Apple II.

So who actualy owns the Commodore name and the IP potential to the inovation of an actual marketed product that includes a Monitor, baseunit and keyboard for personal use.?

Of course the final logical step in this possible line of legal precedent would be Charles Babbage's decendents claim.  

It's a never ending story.

I don't know if the claim about the Apple 1 is correct, as S100 and SS50 bus computers were available at around the same time.

Fully assembled computers? The PET and the TRS-80 Model 1 both raced each other to market, but I think you're right, the PET did make it first (of course the Model 1 sold a lot more units).
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline psxphill

« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2010, 10:38:30 PM »
Quote from: gertsy;558746

There is no IP potential in there, Even if they had a patent, it would have expired. But there was too much prior art even at that point.

Offline smerf

• Show only replies by smerf
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2010, 10:53:47 PM »
Quote from: Matt_H;558525
I've only quickly scanned this, but hooray for our favorite computer :)

http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20100513121121635

Hi,

I must be really getting old, what I take as a common every day event (ie turning on my Amiga) you younger generation types are amazed at the Amiga computer lasting so long and doing the things that it does. Makes me feel like old grandpa smerf.

smerf
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better