Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Mozilla, GIMP, OpenOffice  (Read 3214 times)

Description:

Offline CrumbTopic starter

• Show all replies
    • http://cuaz.sourceforge.net
Mozilla, GIMP, OpenOffice
« on: March 09, 2004, 05:34:01 PM »
Yes, most of people want that... and one of the first problems we meet is that we don't have GTK...

Well, a rootless XWindow server would allow us to port much more easily all these titles...

Optionally we would have a Window Manager that used MUI/Zune/whatever so the integration with the rest of the OS would be very high...

Amiwin did something similar to this in the past... but it's no longer in development.

What do you think about this?
The only spanish amiga news web page/club: Club de Usuarios de Amiga de Zaragoza (CUAZ)

• Show all replies
Re: Mozilla, GIMP, OpenOffice
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2004, 08:16:57 PM »
"The point is that in order to have something akin to X, you must have POSIX-compliancy."

Well, with Geek Gadgets you can have a decent compatibility with unix apps. It's not fully posix, but it's enough to port some programs... and AmiWin can run XWindow apps, so I don't believe that being posix compatible is a must.

I'd like to know the status of the alpha version of XFree86 of GeekGadgets (I don't have ftp access from here). Someone tried that version?

I hope that the AROS guys heard us :-)
The only spanish amiga news web page/club: Club de Usuarios de Amiga de Zaragoza (CUAZ)

• Show all replies
Re: Mozilla, GIMP, OpenOffice
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2004, 10:01:50 AM »
@piku_
"92.9MHz 68060 with 256M PC133"

Nice board, I've read about it... :-)
don't you have a pci gfx card? I guess that using Falcon's on board gfx chip will be a little slow in resolutions like 800x600 and 16bits...

With a graphic card and a ppc or a coldfire it should run more or less ok...

There's already a program called AmiWin that does something like that, but I'd like to have an updated version that supported P96 better (the old version supports CGX much better). It runs some ports of Chimera, XV,... but it's no longer updated and is only 680x0...

"Regardless, people from the amiga and atari crowd should work together as much as is appropriate because it's likely we have similar hurdles to overcome."

Yes, but sometimes there's some cooperation, like in the mp3 player for Falcon's DSP that was ported to our sound card Delphina, TinyGL, Linux 68k for Atari advanced quite a lot thanks to the Amiga modifications... Aranym advanced quite a lot thanks to UAE's CPU engine...

We can't help you much because our OS is quite different to MINT, MagiC or TOS...

It's nice to see that some Atarians are alive :-)