Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Mozilla, GIMP, OpenOffice  (Read 3094 times)

Description:

Offline Cymric

• Show all replies
Re: Mozilla, GIMP, OpenOffice
« on: March 09, 2004, 07:52:47 PM »
KennyR wrote:
Ah, at last, someone is thinking practically!

Seconded. The point is that in order to have something akin to X, you must have POSIX-compliancy. And AmigaOS is not POSIX-compliant. Certainly not OS3.9-, and I doubt that OS4 will meet the full set of requirements too. I have no idea what the situation is with MorphOS: the feature documents are poor sources of information when it comes to this sort of thing. But I'd bet a lot that it has problems too.

If that wasn't bad enough, many Amigans have had their fill of the dreaded 'ixemul.library', and would be extremely sceptical of any replacement. In other words, however tempting all those fancy Open Source packages are, they will most likely not be appear on the Amiga, ever. In my opinion, this will eventually kill the platform for good. There's but one slim chance: get a group of developers together to define one, and only one common set of important things you need for big programs. This includes GUI toolkits (MUI or Zune or ReAction or whatever), game libraries (SDL or something DirectX-like), networking facilities, and so forth. Anyone not using those basic libraries should be cast out of the community, after being thoroughly ridiculed. This ensures that what is left of the Amiga coders can focus on developing applications rather than their framework with associated forum wars ('MegaCoolTool sucks!' 'It RULEZ, ya big ToolZ-humpin' freak!').

But this idea has about as much chance as a snowflake in Hell, so that's why I'm sticking with Linux :-P.
Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well.