Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Look what DosBOX can do!!  (Read 7054 times)

Description:

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
Re: Look what DosBOX can do!!
« Reply #29 from previous page: February 01, 2012, 02:12:10 PM »
Hmm,... someone starts a thread about what theyre using Dosbox for, and you suggest people have no interest in it. You dont see the irony here? There's also ports to OS3, os4, wos, mos besides the AROS port, so again, it suggest people are interested in it.

Youve also suggested that I dont know the difference between Windows and Amigas. Now apart from "huh?" I have to respond here by saying about 3 sentences later you
say, "Do you really think people want to use their amigas to run windows". Maybe try rereading what you write?

Also as for, "Has it occurred to you that you are wasting your time with dosbox for Amiga and maybe you should actually do something worthwhile with your time?"..... hmm,.... this thread is started by someone else, not me, so obviously some people are interested. Also, remind me, how are you contributing again exacty?

I could pull your posts apart until the cows come home, but unfortunately I doubt youre bright enough to even get why most of what you type demonstrates your,... err,.... challenges.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2012, 03:10:38 PM »
Personally, I'm glad he posted that. I'd heard dosbox could run windows 95/98 but I haven't tried it myself.

It IS useful if your runnnig aros on a machine and want to, say write a word document for work or something that requires windows. You don't have to reboot or switch machines just load the virtual windows and do it.

Besides that, nerds don't jokingly call it wintendo for nothing, there is thousands and thousands of games it can run.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 02:42:13 AM by haywirepc »

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2012, 07:32:38 PM »
Wtf happened to my thread?!? :)
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2012, 08:47:31 PM »
Nowadays I often forget which Machine is virtual and which isn't.  Hopefully they'll integrate DosBox like VMWare or VirtualBox on the Mac, where the Windows app runs in it's own Window and looks like just another application.  I run MS Access that way at work when I need it.....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2012, 09:02:15 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;678633
Wtf happened to my thread?!? :)

This was your thread? Dunno. Fishy had a turn and went   :insane:

*whispers* don't tell anyone ;) but i think he might be retarded  :rolleyes:
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2012, 09:17:45 PM »
Having a port of DOS_Box for AROS, MorphOS, or OS4.x is a great idea, so thanks for your efforts fishy_fiz.

It helps solve the problem of limited modern software that can be run on all NG Amiga systems.

Having more software that can be run is always a good thing.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2012, 09:20:21 PM »
Quote from: orange;678492
wouldn't that be ultimate achievement? if it could run ME, it could run anything!
:)

+1

LULZ!

Okay AROS, you have my attention. :)
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2012, 09:27:01 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;678515
Well...

MorphOS on the other hand is what I hope free little old AROS lives up to some day.

+1

Yeah, not that I don't love the Hyperion guys for OS4, but the hardware is just too expensive for me to have. MorphOS is gorgeous in my opinion, but I don't care to run it on old, Mac hardware.

I'd like to have an Amiga that I can use for simple, everyday stuff and use my Windows machine solely as my work box. Everyone wants the same thing, for the most part: Modern Browser, Flash support, OpenGL, etc. Better, for me, to have it be of PC parts.
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline haywirepc

« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2012, 10:05:20 PM »
I agree something like wine for aros would be great.

On the dream of the "everyday amiga machine.."
I agree, but creating (or even porting) a flash capable modern browser has proven difficult.

What I'm very interested in seeing is AEROS. Being able to run amiga 68k apps, linux apps, dos apps, and windows apps... That would be the most ideal solution if you ask me.

For now I'm fine with having one aros box I fiddle with every now and then, but my everyday machine is linux... I can do pretty much anyting I want, except the more demanding windows games so I just reboot for my wintendo.

Steven

Offline Mequa

• Show only replies by Mequa
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2012, 10:13:25 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;678513
Um... Windows 98 ain't supported by modern hardware dork! :)

Windows 98 runs fine on MS Virtual PC on newer Windows (albeit without 3D acceleration). It works under VMWare and VirtualBox too, but I'm not sure about VM additions.

I got Windows 98 booting natively on my Acer Aspire One netbook using "safe mode" graphics. So barebones 98 can run natively on some modern hardware, just without any decent driver support (basic graphics, no sound, no networking etc.).
Of course a VM is the way forward for retro Windows. I use Virtual PC to run 98 on my netbook on Windows XP/7 so I can run classic apps like Mensa Ultimate Challenge, Sophie's World and Kai's Power Goo.

DOSBox is all fine and dandy and indeed runs 98, but IMO, AROS needs a better VM ported, since DOSBox gives much slower CPU performance than native.

P.S. I'm not sure about NT4 on DOSBox, but NT5 (Windows 2000/XP) certainly does not work.
I'm also not sure about ME + 98lite patch, I know ME works with 98lite, but I'm not sure if DOSBox could handle it.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 10:28:42 PM by Mequa »

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2012, 12:07:35 AM »
Good to see we're back on topic. :)

For the note, I've been busy recording video showing the strengths and weaknesses of both MorphOS and AROS. I will try to eat well and get plenty of rest so that the video remains as unbiased as possible. When they are done I'll post them on YouTube and link to them in a separate thread. I think it should be interesting.

Back to topic, I'll put up guides on how to set Win98 and such in DosBox soonish for those interested in doing this themselves.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline haywirepc

« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2012, 12:51:11 AM »
Yes please do post a tutorial on howto do this....

Offline J-Golden

• TOP SECRET USER!!!
    • Show only replies by J-Golden
    • http://about.me/J.Golden
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2012, 01:08:25 AM »
This is very impressive!  I have a Flight sim (X-wing Alliance) that refuses to work on modern video cards.  I wondering how well this would play through Dosbox on AROS?  I'd be super sweet since there is still a strong modding community behind it that is updating the graphics!

Keep up the good work and please keep up informed!
AMIGA: (NOUN) THE FIRST COMPUTER THAT BRIDGED THE GAP BETWEEN HUMANITY AND TECHNOLOGY.

I'm a dyslectic, phonetic spelling English Major. It's funny 'cause it's TRUE!:roflmao:

WWBD?

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2012, 01:42:58 AM »
For the haters in this thread, one of the things that attracted me to the Amiga in the first place was the ability to run Mac OS and DOS and early flavors of Windows without any trouble.  Same for all of my amiga-using friends back in the day.  But now that's not good enough...?

Eh.
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline Thorham

• Show only replies by Thorham
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2012, 02:20:43 AM »
Quote from: B00tDisk;678706
For the haters in this thread, one of the things that attracted me to the Amiga in the first place was the ability to run Mac OS and DOS and early flavors of Windows without any trouble.  Same for all of my amiga-using friends back in the day.  But now that's not good enough...?
What's the point when everyone has a peecee anyway? Back in the day it made sense, because you didn't want to buy a peecee. Having a good dos emulator on a suitably expanded Amiga meant you could use software you otherwise couldn't run, but today? Hmm...

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2012, 02:31:21 AM »
Quote from: Thorham;678710
What's the point when everyone has a peecee anyway? Back in the day it made sense, because you didn't want to buy a peecee. Having a good dos emulator on a suitably expanded Amiga meant you could use software you otherwise couldn't run, but today? Hmm...

Even though almost everyone here owns 2 or more computers and likely has at least one PC that has Windows installed on it, that does not change the desire of many to go back to running only one computer that can do almost everything instead of running multiple computers.  So I would say that even though things have changed from those old days of the Amiga with a Bridgeboard, or PCTask and Shapeshifter, the desire to run many different systems from just one computer has not changed much.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)