Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Look what DosBOX can do!!  (Read 7026 times)

Description:

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
Re: Look what DosBOX can do!!
« Reply #44 from previous page: February 02, 2012, 02:31:21 AM »
Quote from: Thorham;678710
What's the point when everyone has a peecee anyway? Back in the day it made sense, because you didn't want to buy a peecee. Having a good dos emulator on a suitably expanded Amiga meant you could use software you otherwise couldn't run, but today? Hmm...

Even though almost everyone here owns 2 or more computers and likely has at least one PC that has Windows installed on it, that does not change the desire of many to go back to running only one computer that can do almost everything instead of running multiple computers.  So I would say that even though things have changed from those old days of the Amiga with a Bridgeboard, or PCTask and Shapeshifter, the desire to run many different systems from just one computer has not changed much.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2012, 02:41:34 AM »
Maybe its a nerd thing, but I love my linux box because it can run dos, c64,linux, windows and amiga programs all together. Its like having all the best software from all different systems all on one system, and thats very attractive. Every great amiga game I like, every great old dos game, whatever windows apps I need for work or whatever, all working point and click...

I also recently started tinkering with tandy color computer emulator, before amiga that was my main rig, because my dad worked part time at radio shack and they sold cocos (and crappy tandy 1000's) not c64's...
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 02:42:55 AM by haywirepc »

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2012, 02:44:41 AM »
Quote from: Thorham;678710
What's the point when everyone has a peecee anyway? Back in the day it made sense, because you didn't want to buy a peecee. Having a good dos emulator on a suitably expanded Amiga meant you could use software you otherwise couldn't run, but today? Hmm...

Because it's neat?  Because it's handy?  Because it's tinkering with your computer and it's fun?  Because it's a smaller desktop footprint?  Because it requires less resources to do?  Because it's free to try out?  The list goes on and on.

Look at it from the other end: the Amiga "community", all some-thousand of them, certainly can't afford to lose users, so what do you tell the PC guy who wants to come aboard?  What can you entice him with if nothing else than easy migration of data, or data sharing?  What do you tell him when he says "Yeah but I can run WinUAE and have 99% of all the Amiga software on my PC right there."?
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline Thorham

• Show only replies by Thorham
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2012, 02:47:53 AM »
Man, I wasn't thinking... Good points guys :)

Offline smerf

• Show only replies by smerf
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2012, 03:18:20 AM »
Hi,

@Kesa,

"It would be hard to impress someone with what AROS Amigas could do if the only thing they could do was run windows. That's going to impress noone. Like i said if you are going to promote AROS at least show that it can do something interesting. "

Ahhh listen here, it is the only app that they can run that does something, you have to give them credit for that, it is just that all the really smart people just install Windows on a PC like it was suppossed to be installed. I mean I am not really trying to tarnish their efforts of running Windows on AROS of which AROS is being run on a PC machine. This was really a clever idea. Linux has been trying to do it for years and is still having troubles.

Just think if they can really make it happen, and get windows 7 running on AROS they could play all the new latest games, and get the blue screen of death.

smerf
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better

Offline smerf

• Show only replies by smerf
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2012, 03:29:01 AM »
Hi,

@haywirepc,

How did you get windows to load games from the CD/DVD rom drive, the old smerf has been playing with this for 2 years now, and every time it says insert cd disk 2 or 3 or whatever, Linux just forgets what it is doing and won't find them. Thats why I just duel boot and play my windows games on windows, and leave Linux for all my data and important junk. Once I get past the CDrom thingy, I hope to start running windows games on Linux and say screw Windows.

but I do agree with you that Linux looks like the best of all worlds, and emulation.

smerf

Save your old Amiga hardware, run Cloanto's Amiga Forever and C64 the little price you pay is not worth the frustration of getting all the right stuff for UAE.

Get rid of high prices and stupid computing and destroy a MAC today.
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2012, 03:31:56 AM »
I'll put it this way.

I'd rather be running Windows under an Amiga-Esque environment, than Amiga under a Windows environment. That being said, all this business is just plain old fun and show cases some of the advantages that come with having support for faster hardware.
That is to say x86 hardware that can take advantage of UAE and DosBox's JIT, unlike PPC, ARM, etc. At least for the time being, I guess there is work being done to bring UAE's JIT to PPC. Until then certain emulators are always going to drag on non-x86 hardware no matter how good the OS may be or how fast the CPU.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 03:35:44 AM by XDelusion »
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Thorham

• Show only replies by Thorham
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2012, 03:34:37 AM »
Quote from: smerf;678721
Save your old Amiga hardware, run Cloanto's Amiga Forever
Why would I want to have my Amiga gather gust in some corner? My asvice: Use your old Amiga hardware and have fun doing so, that's what Amigas are for :)

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2012, 06:14:42 AM »
Quote from: Thorham;678723
Why would I want to have my Amiga gather gust in some corner? My asvice: Use your old Amiga hardware and have fun doing so, that's what Amigas are for :)

Ditto, in regards to classic Amiga. Nothing beats the real deal...

Unlike Windows or DOS. ;)
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs