Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Look what DosBOX can do!!  (Read 7023 times)

Description:

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
Look what DosBOX can do!!
« on: January 31, 2012, 07:02:11 PM »

At present there are not too many games that run, but the speed is there. As Fish was saying, it is possible to modify the sources so that will more games such as Half-Life can be played, also I guess OpenGL can be made to work, though I've had trouble getting games to run smoothly in GlMode under DosBOX on Windows, but maybe there's something I'm missing.

Sadly, Fish is having computer troubles, so it may be a while till we see any advances, but in the mean time I figured I'd upload this little photo just to show that Windows can indeed be ran inside of AROS! :)

Photo taken on a machine running at 2.6Ghz.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline trekiej

Re: Look what DosBOX can do!!
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 07:08:17 PM »
Cool.
I may give it a try.
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 07:10:26 PM »
wait, so is that AROS running Dosbox running windows?

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 07:21:44 PM »
Is that ME? Oh my God tell me that's not ME.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Mequa

• Show only replies by Mequa
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 08:24:53 PM »
Looks like Windows 95 or perhaps a cut-down 98. I have seen a modified version of Windows 98 with 98lite running on DOSBox cross-platform, so assuming the AROS port of DOSBox is feature-complete it should be possible to emulate Windows 98 under AROS. It is much slower than native though or a decent VM.

Not sure about ME, 98lite also works with ME, but NT-based Windows such as 2000, XP and above are not compatible with DOSBox as it doesn't provide the necessary complete Pentium instruction set.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 08:27:38 PM by Mequa »

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 08:34:30 PM »
It's  98lite, and yes in DosBox on AROS.

Next release should have glide/GL support.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 09:56:52 PM »
Whatever the windows version, its great news. Windows 95/98 can run tons of apps...

xp would be better, but your not doing that in dosbox. Its a start.

AROS getting closer to day to day machine every day. I hope and pray for better browsing and more productivity apps.... Every day I pray.

Of course I also pray for smp, a kickass video editing package, some kickass music applications and other things that may never happen...

Being able to substitute windows apps in the meantime would be great.

Steven

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 10:11:03 PM »
Quote from: Mequa;678478
Looks like Windows 95 or perhaps a cut-down 98. I have seen a modified version of Windows 98 with 98lite running on DOSBox cross-platform, so assuming the AROS port of DOSBox is feature-complete it should be possible to emulate Windows 98 under AROS. It is much slower than native though or a decent VM.

Not sure about ME, 98lite also works with ME, but NT-based Windows such as 2000, XP and above are not compatible with DOSBox as it doesn't provide the necessary complete Pentium instruction set.

Hmm, NT4 requires a '486 instruction set and 12mb RAM to run (having run it on a P120 with 24mb RAM though I can tell you that ain't exactly "true"), but clearly if DOSBox has the full ia32/80486 instruction code emulated, or at least all of the calls trapped, it can be run as long as your primary partition is FAT16 (IIRC; it's been a decade since I touched NT4).
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 10:26:51 PM »
Congrats to DosBOX!

But i don't understand. If you want to use Windows why not use Windows?   :confused:

There are credible reasons why WinUae is used such as not being able or willing to own classic hardware so i can understand people using it as a substitute for the real thing. But emulating Windows on AROS seems like a waste of effort somehow. I just don't know...

PS I also think it *YAWNS*  is boring.
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 10:37:49 PM »
I have 1 reason and one reason only...

To run Half-Life, Dark Forces II, and Drac's Shadow (a suped up clone of Castlevania II).

Many old Win95 games are problematic in XP and 7, plus I'm looking for ways to avoid having a dedicated Windows machine in my house.

Besides, the next Amiga Commodore had planned was supposed to be able to run Workbench, Mac OS, and Windows...

I'd say AROS (bugs aside) is the closest to achieving that dream in particular, though I'll be happier once MorphOS is converted to Arm or X86 and will have faster hardware available to pull off such feats as well! MorphOS is just solid all around.

Offline orange

• Show only replies by orange
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 10:40:41 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;678473
Is that ME? Oh my God tell me that's not ME.

wouldn't that be ultimate achievement? if it could run ME, it could run anything!
:)
Better sorry than worry.

Offline Templario

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 11:04:27 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;678467

At present there are not too many games that run, but the speed is there. As Fish was saying, it is possible to modify the sources so that will more games such as Half-Life can be played, also I guess OpenGL can be made to work, though I've had trouble getting games to run smoothly in GlMode under DosBOX on Windows, but maybe there's something I'm missing.

Sadly, Fish is having computer troubles, so it may be a while till we see any advances, but in the mean time I figured I'd upload this little photo just to show that Windows can indeed be ran inside of AROS! :)

Photo taken on a machine running at 2.6Ghz.
An easy question, I saw your screenshoot, DosBox runs software but this is under img, how I can make this images, because it is How the other virtual machines on Windows? aslo I'll like run DR-DOS the best PC Dos system.
Amiga 500 with ROMs 1.3-2.05 and M-Tec AT 500 with hard disk and 4MB Ram.
WinUAE + Original OS 3.5&3.9
Sam440ep 800 MHZ + OS 4.1 F.E.
Sam460ex 1 GHz + OS 4.1 + Update 6. K.O.
MacMini 1.5 GHz + MorphOS 3.9
PowerBook G4 1.65 + MorphOS 3.9

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, 11:59:37 PM »
Quote from: Templario;678497
An easy question, I saw your screenshoot, DosBox runs software but this is under img, how I can make this images, because it is How the other virtual machines on Windows? aslo I'll like run DR-DOS the best PC Dos system.

Are you asking me how to take a screen shot in AROS?

At work, will have to get back to you about Dr. Dos.

Offline smerf

• Show only replies by smerf
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 03:01:46 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;678488
Congrats to DosBOX!

But i don't understand. If you want to use Windows why not use Windows?   :confused:

There are credible reasons why WinUae is used such as not being able or willing to own classic hardware so i can understand people using it as a substitute for the real thing. But emulating Windows on AROS seems like a waste of effort somehow. I just don't know...

PS I also think it *YAWNS*  is boring.

Hi,

@Kesa

"But i don't understand. If you want to use Windows why not use Windows?"

Because these Loonies, would rather use Dosbox to run windows, they think they made a big accomplishment.

DUHHHHH!!!!  Look I am running window in AROS when I could just as easily run windows on this machine.

GIVE ME A BREAK!!!

Next they will be showing windows running on a MAC. Going WOW I am running windows on a MAC.

smerf (LOL)
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2012, 03:33:22 AM »
Quote from: Templario;678497

Um... Windows 98 ain't supported by modern hardware dork! :)