Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AROS Mentioned in Oz PC Mag  (Read 3660 times)

Description:

Offline Bodie_CI5Topic starter

• Show only replies by Bodie_CI5
AROS Mentioned in Oz PC Mag
« on: February 18, 2011, 10:22:09 AM »
Went by the local newsagent this arvo and picked up one of, if not THE leading, Australian PC magazines - APC (Australian Personal Computer) - quite literally, hot-off-the-press. In their "technotes" feature, they have a list of ten (10) alternative OS's. Haiku comes in at number one, REACTOS at number two, and AROS in at number (3)!

The smallish referral makes mention of the Amiga as a well loved machine, its many fans, and the fact that AROS is "intensively fast." The referral gives a brief outline of how AROS works and the last sentence is as follows:

AROS has great potential as a light and fast OS for low-end netbooks and tablets.

Source: APC (Australian Personal Computer), March 2011, p. 13.
(Their website, even though I could not find an online link to the feature: http://apcmag.com/apc_home.htm)

Well done, to all those working on the project!
Recovering WoW addict.

And, I\'ve relapsed, LOL.

Hmm, might be canceling again. LOL

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
Re: AROS Mentioned in Oz PC Mag
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 10:27:11 AM »
Quote from: Bodie_CI5;616355
Went by the local newsagent this arvo and picked up one of, if not THE leading, Australian PC magazines - APC (Australian Personal Computer) - quite literally, hot-off-the-press. In their "technotes" feature, they have a list of ten (10) alternative OS's. Haiku comes in at number one, REACTOS at number two, and AROS in at number (3)!

Wow, really cool! And a bit unexpected, if I may say so! :)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 10:34:16 AM »
Pretty awesome! I can't wait for AROS to get to the point where I enjoy using it without the worry of a crash. Not unlike MorphOS, which, if it were x86 based, I'm sure would be up there with Haiku.
And on that note, I am elated to see that Haiku made it to #1. Had BeOS became the future of Amiga operating systems, I would not have complained a bit!
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 11:57:56 AM »
So BeOS could have become a popular Netbook OS... Shame it got canned by Palm without a fair chance.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 12:42:02 AM »
Actually, the Haiku project has some Wifi drivers that currently work. Once the rest of the project catches up to speed, I do believe that that is what I shall be running on my Netbook as opposed to this bloated Ubuntu Distro that doesn't seem to run much better than Micro XP did on here.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Colin_Camper

• Show only replies by Colin_Camper
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 01:40:08 AM »
Quote from: Bodie_CI5;616355

The smallish referral makes mention of the Amiga as a well loved machine, its many fans, and the fact that AROS is "intensively fast."!

Wow! That is a great write up! Mind you the magazine got it right, both Haiku and AROS are cool.

Bty - Long time no see Bodie - hope you and your brother are doing great.
Colin Camper CCNP MCSE P45 UB40
A4000D

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 06:55:55 AM »
I had a quick look while I was in the newsagency today 'cos of this thread. Was only a smallish mention (as were most of the top 10), but there seemed to be some sincere enthusiasm about the potential of AROS, whereas a lot of the others in the top 10 sounded to be more of a token/routine write up. Nice to see some of the outside world is taking notice, even if mostly pretty quietly so far.  :)
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 07:31:02 AM »
Yeah i saw it too today at the supermarket. Bit disappointed though. Small print in the bottom right hand corner so not really sure who would read it. Can't say the magazine was very enthusiastic about it :hammer:
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 07:44:41 AM »
Heh, now that's a pretty clear demonstration of the idea, "Glass half empty/glass half full"  :)
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 10:30:34 AM »
Man, hope the attachments work. Had to pull out the rusty scanner, dusty off cobwebs (well, not really) and try and get the friggin thing set up. It doesn't like lower res scans for some reason. Tried to scale image in GIMP, images wouldn't turn out too nice, for some reason (yeah, OK, I'm a noob hehe). If the images don't show up here, hopefully the photobucket links will. Oh, and I only scanned the two pages of the 3 page round up... took too long to do the other two (dying to play some Black Ops lol)

URL: http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m81/Bodie_CI5/cccc.jpg

URL: http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m81/Bodie_CI5/dddd.jpg

It spiced up a loooooooooooooooooong week at work when I saw it on the train yesterday. Added a nice touch :D

How are you? We're both OK. Been keeping well? Just like Warcrack, it just seems one_just_can't_keep_away from Amigas hehe :-D

_________
Hi XDelusion,

That's right, I remember the experimentation back then. Didn't compute up until I read your post.

_________
@ Queen Drama Bee

Bit disappointed though. Small print in the bottom right hand corner

You're right about the small print, but then, so were all the other OS's nominated, with the exception, of course, of the two finalists. I would beg to differ, though, on your first claim, for two reasons:

a) The title of the thread utilises the word "mentioned" and not "glowing appraisal and thorough review of AROS in Oz PC Mag". I would have posted this as a news item and not as a normal thread. As a "Queen Spelling Bee" I would have thought your grasp of the basic nuances of the English language would have been much stronger than that.

b) Considering that probably no-one in the Amiga community had anything to do with the inclusion of said 3rd placement of AROS, I think, is a pretty good deal. Even if it is a small wrap-up.

Furthermore, you muse,

so not really sure who would read it.

Those who read the feature, would have read the third placed OS, had they, for example, read an obscure 7th place OS in the feature.

You also write;

Can't say the magazine was very enthusiastic about it

But, please, allow me to retort. Do the words:

you may have fond memories of the Amiga. The dazzling graphics and crisp sound (when PCs were faffing around with text mode and beeps)

sound highly unenthusiastic, to you?

The article also paid 'tribute' to Amiga's lack of protected memory; and, of course, I refer you back to my original post re "great potential".

:hammer

Please, keep the hammer for yourself, your lack of comma utilisation in your post is most disconcerting.
Recovering WoW addict.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 11:34:35 AM »
I'm not a drama queen!

ps this is my 500th post

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 10:53:51 AM »
Quote from: Bodie_CI5;616556
Hi TMHG (hope you've been well :-)),

I'm fine thank you! :) Hope you're doing well yourself, long time since you showed yourself here...

It spiced up a loooooooooooooooooong week at work when I saw it on the train yesterday. Added a nice touch :D

:D

(PS, thanks for sharing the scanned articles)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 11:00:36 AM »
Quote from: Bodie_CI5;616556
Man, hope the attachments work. Had to pull out the rusty scanner, dusty off cobwebs (well, not really) and try and get the friggin thing set up. It doesn't like lower res scans for some reason. Tried to scale image in GIMP, images wouldn't turn out too nice, for some reason (yeah, OK, I'm a noob hehe). If the images don't show up here, hopefully the photobucket links will. Oh, and I only scanned the two pages of the 3 page round up... took too long to do the other two (dying to play some Black Ops lol)

URL: http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m81/Bodie_CI5/cccc.jpg

URL: http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m81/Bodie_CI5/dddd.jpg

How are you? We're both OK. Been keeping well? Just like Warcrack, it just seems one_just_can't_keep_away from Amigas hehe :-D

_________
Hi XDelusion,

That's right, I remember the experimentation back then. Didn't compute up until I read your post.

_________
@ Queen Drama Bee

You're right about the small print, but then, so were all the other OS's nominated, with the exception, of course, of the two finalists. I would beg to differ, though, on your first claim, for two reasons:

a) The title of the thread utilises the word "mentioned" and not "glowing appraisal and thorough review of AROS in Oz PC Mag". I would have posted this as a news item and not as a normal thread. As a "Queen Spelling Bee" I would have thought your grasp of the basic nuances of the English language would have been much stronger than that.

b) Considering that probably no-one in the Amiga community had anything to do with the inclusion of said 3rd placement of AROS, I think, is a pretty good deal. Even if it is a small wrap-up.

Furthermore, you muse,

Those who read the feature, would have read the third placed OS, had they, for example, read an obscure 7th place OS in the feature.

You also write;

But, please, allow me to retort. Do the words:

sound highly unenthusiastic, to you?

The article also paid 'tribute' to Amiga's lack of protected memory; and, of course, I refer you back to my original post re "great potential".

Please, keep the hammer for yourself, your lack of comma utilisation in your post is most disconcerting.

I'm going to quote this post so people have scroll heaps to get past it.

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2011, 09:42:59 AM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;616699
I'm fine thank you! :) Hope you're doing well yourself, long time since you showed yourself here...

:D

(PS, thanks for sharing the scanned articles)

TMHG, I'd been missing your avatar :-), good to see you are doing fine, my friend:-)

I'm OK, the usual, not good but not too bad either... Man, it has been some four years since I was on last on a regular basis. :O

Well, at least the community probably breathed a sigh of relief during my looooooooong holiday hehe.

Kesa,

;-)

--edit--

Grrr, can't do smileys, can't do tags either, it seems
Recovering WoW addict.