Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Video: AROS 68K Booting  (Read 10135 times)

Description:

Offline Fats

• Show only replies by Fats
Re: Video: AROS 68K Booting
« Reply #74 from previous page: November 27, 2010, 01:43:12 PM »
Quote from: kickstart;594406

I dont see the advantage over 3.1, yes aros 68k can boot from cd/dvd/usb but many users dont use cds, the speed of cf or sd changing data with pc is much faster and usb on the amiga world is used by a low percentage of users.

If you are one of the guys that think OS3.5/OS3.9 was a step backwards then AROS is nothing for you. For the rest I think the AROS experience will/should be that of an improved OS3.9/OS3.5.

Dont take it wrong but these days no one can make critics about this projects

I also question why people need to critic everything all the time. If there is nothing in AROS for you; what is the problem ? I'm sure lot's of people will enjoy it.

greets,
Staf.
Trust me...                                              I know what I\'m doing

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #75 on: November 27, 2010, 01:59:32 PM »
I dont see the advantage over 3.1

It's free and can be used on your without any potential legal issues.
int p; // A

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #76 on: November 28, 2010, 05:05:50 PM »
Nvm
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 05:06:54 PM by dammy »
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline Tension

« Reply #77 on: November 28, 2010, 05:12:28 PM »
Quote from: Heiroglyph;592964

The recovery floppy is a joke even if you do have a high density floppy and does you no good if you only have a blank, non-working Amiga.

The theory behind the Emergency disk is sound.  What do you mean?

Also, every Amiga owner should take advantage of the way AmigaOS works, and simply copy their System partition to another hard drive or CD/DVD for backup.

Offline Heiroglyph

• Show only replies by Heiroglyph
« Reply #78 on: November 28, 2010, 06:38:50 PM »
Quote from: Tension;595018
The theory behind the Emergency disk is sound.  What do you mean?

It is in theory, but in execution it fails.

If you have no working Amiga, the CD is just short of useless.  You need 3.1 floppies that haven't gone bad plus access to the internet on a PC to get a CD Driver for 3.1

If you do have another working Amiga, especially if you need an RTG driver, the emergency floppy maker isn't selective enough with what it copies to the floppy and it quickly runs out of disk space even with a high-density drive.

If you don't install RTG software or know ahead of time to set it to an interlaced mode using OS3.1, the default screenmode isn't tall enough for the screenmode prefs app to allow you to change resolutions.  The Accept/Try buttons are far off the screen so you can't accept the change.

The install was so painful that I can't imagine they ever did a real-world install during testing.  If they tested at all.

At least on the Toaster/Flyer install we included a floppy with a CD filesystem to bootstrap the install from CD.

Not having a minimal boot floppy included with the OS3.9 CD was a terrible oversight.

Also, every Amiga owner should take advantage of the way AmigaOS works, and simply copy their System partition to another hard drive or CD/DVD for backup.

That's great assuming you have a working system at some point, but AmigaOS won't get you there on its own without a stack of shareware floppies on hand.

Offline Tension

« Reply #79 on: November 28, 2010, 06:47:36 PM »
Quote from: Heiroglyph;595038
It is in theory, but in execution it fails.

If you have no working Amiga, the CD is just short of useless.  You need 3.1 floppies that haven't gone bad plus access to the internet on a PC to get a CD Driver for 3.1

If you do have another working Amiga, especially if you need an RTG driver, the emergency floppy maker isn't selective enough with what it copies to the floppy and it quickly runs out of disk space even with a high-density drive.

If you don't install RTG software or know ahead of time to set it to an interlaced mode using OS3.1, the default screenmode isn't tall enough for the screenmode prefs app to allow you to change resolutions.  The Accept/Try buttons are far off the screen so you can't accept the change.

The install was so painful that I can't imagine they ever did a real-world install during testing.  If they tested at all.

At least on the Toaster/Flyer install we included a floppy with a CD filesystem to bootstrap the install from CD.

Not having a minimal boot floppy included with the OS3.9 CD was a terrible oversight.

That's great assuming you have a working system at some point, but AmigaOS won't get you there on its own without a stack of shareware floppies on hand.

I know what you mean about the screenmodes, they screwed that up for sure.

But isn't the theory of the Emergency Disk this:  You create the disk from the 3.9 Installer when your system is running.  Then when you boot from the Emergency Disk it mounts cd0: and makes some assigns and stuff so you can install 3.9 over an empty partition?  I mean, isn't the only time you will need 3.1 is if you lose your Emergency Disk floppy?

Offline Heiroglyph

• Show only replies by Heiroglyph
« Reply #80 on: November 28, 2010, 06:58:43 PM »
Quote from: Tension;595039
I know what you mean about the screenmodes, they screwed that up for sure.

But isn't the theory of the Emergency Disk this:  You create the disk from the 3.9 Installer when your system is running.  Then when you boot from the Emergency Disk it mounts cd0: and makes some assigns and stuff so you can install 3.9 over an empty partition?  I mean, isn't the only time you will need 3.1 is if you lose your Emergency Disk floppy?

You're right of course, but again in practice it is failing.

Once you've installed your system, the app that creates the floppy doesn't pay attention to what is needed and what just happens to be in envarc, etc.

The process fails with a disk full error and you have no way to make the floppy except by hand.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #81 on: November 30, 2010, 08:58:05 PM »
mmm- any hints as how to boot the current 68k nightly? im still having these "no bootable media" and "looking for devs" type of messages. messed a little with ss but it seems related to kickstart, any update on this since?

Offline bloodlineTopic starter

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #82 on: November 30, 2010, 10:23:10 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;595660
mmm- any hints as how to boot the current 68k nightly? im still having these "no bootable media" and "looking for devs" type of messages. messed a little with ss but it seems related to kickstart, any update on this since?
There are 3 main files, if they aren't in the current nightly then I will post a link to them.

One is the rom file, one is the extended rom file, the final one OS the boot floppy. You only need those files to play with the OS... Your configuration settings must be identical to a real A1200 too.

Happy booting x

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #83 on: November 30, 2010, 10:48:13 PM »
yes, i have all the three, but neither booting from floppy image nor from nightly partition i can get past these dialogs. the second one says: couldnt open device uae.device. is this again something in uae setup im not familiar with ?

edit: no pointer active at this time.

Offline kickstart

• Show only replies by kickstart
« Reply #84 on: November 30, 2010, 11:09:48 PM »
Quote from: Fats;594675
If you are one of the guys that think OS3.5/OS3.9 was a step backwards then AROS is nothing for you. For the rest I think the AROS experience will/should be that of an improved OS3.9/OS3.5.

I also question why people need to critic everything all the time. If there is nothing in AROS for you; what is the problem ? I'm sure lot's of people will enjoy it.

greets,
Staf.

No problem at all, its cool to have more OS for the 68k, everyone can make non agressive critics, but if 3.1 runs fast on 030 and aros 68k isnt the same with the same 030 then its another step backwards (at least to hundreds of 030 users) but dont worry next time i ask for your permission to give an opinion.
a1200 060

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #85 on: December 01, 2010, 02:00:02 AM »
@kickstart: do you expect people will be shot in the woods if they dont hand back their os3.x kickstart as soon as aros68k is ready or what?

Offline kickstart

• Show only replies by kickstart
« Reply #86 on: December 01, 2010, 02:29:59 AM »
No.
a1200 060

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #87 on: December 01, 2010, 03:51:08 AM »
This is just fantastic. I can't wait to run this on classic amiga hardware but I think I will wait to try it till its further along...

One thing though people keep saying oh its great because ks is commercial and what not. Does anyone really think Silly Billy or anyone else can prove ownership of the kickstart rom files OR os3.X?

No way, never in a million years. I say download away...

But I still think AROS for 68k is awesome! Its cool that AROS can come "home" in a sense. Even if it is just a free replacement for 3.1 and is kept barebones for 68k, thats a major accomplishment.

Thanks for all the hard work guys!

Steven

Offline obscurepanic

• Show only replies by obscurepanic
« Reply #88 on: December 03, 2010, 12:29:47 AM »
This is a very great project! :)