Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga PCs on the way....  (Read 33384 times)

Description:

Offline cheech

• Show only replies by cheech
    • http://mysite.freeserve.com/nrj
Re: Amiga PCs on the way....
« Reply #254 from previous page: September 11, 2010, 10:43:18 PM »
Acid dads are some how mix up in all this c.u.s.a stuff to!
http://moobunny.dreamhosters.com/cgi/mbthread.pl/amiga/expand/176605
nice one

Offline Amiga_Nut

• Show only replies by Amiga_Nut
« Reply #255 on: September 12, 2010, 03:39:25 AM »
Quote from: the-topdog;578539
I don't really blame the guy... instead of constructive comments on his business, he gets nothing but shit from the people he assumed would be happy.

Besides using someone-else's artwork, what did he do wrong?  He is just trying to run a business, not a hobby.

Negativeness breeds negativeness.  Just look at how his first interaction was calm but after the continual barbs and attacks his second response was terse.

The only two things I do not agree with him about is the artwork and his comments about Trademark infringement.

Well for a start he didn't even claim to be actually making a machine that looks like the image in the artwork.........which I suspect will turn out to be yet another hunk of shit far east PC with a 100% mark up to cover the cost of producing an "Amiga" sticky label lol

When he manufactures something even cosmetically relevant to the brand 'Commodore' or 'Amiga' rather than just geting some 50 cent labels of said brands made up to stick on some pile of shit butt ugly Chinese PCs running Linux/Windwos then we can talk again.

For now it's case closed as far as Mr Bullshit Altman goes :)

PS Commodore Cyprus (N) have today announced a new partnership deal to produce the Commodore Dimin....a totally unique, and cutting edge design, machine allowing you to relive the splendour of the Commodore 64 in these modern times with all the advantages that modern technology and modern form factor possibilities produce.

More info to follow shortly, get saving though, at only 99 bucks this is going to be the must have gift for your fellow Commodore fan this Xmas.....

(oooo now is this a joke comment or has someone found a way to out bullshit the king bullshitter LOL who knows!)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 03:51:29 AM by Amiga_Nut »

Offline Pyromania

• Sent from my Quantum Computer
    • Show only replies by Pyromania
    • http://www.discreetfx.com
« Reply #256 on: September 12, 2010, 04:48:03 AM »
Put up or shut up. CommodoreUSA should sell machines and get reviews going or shut the hell up. Do more and talk less. Let the market decide if they are good systems or crap. Talk is cheap.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #257 on: September 12, 2010, 08:12:33 PM »
Quote from: Pyromania;578896
Put up or shut up. CommodoreUSA should sell machines and get reviews going or shut the hell up. Do more and talk less. Let the market decide if they are good systems or crap. Talk is cheap.

That would be the real test.

So, instead of letting my inner retard shine, I'll relay one more comment from Mr. Altman.

Barry claimed he was going to try to have the PC64 ready for sale by Christmas. Since he was still in the process of getting the case molds made, I think he'll be hard pressed to accomplish this in such a short time.

So there's your first put up or shut up test.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline persiaTopic starter

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #258 on: September 12, 2010, 08:26:36 PM »
Doesn't really matter, the big think this Christmas are touch devices, Father Christmas is going to be loaded down with iPads and Android tablets...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #259 on: September 12, 2010, 08:45:02 PM »
Quote from: persia;578983
Doesn't really matter, the big think this Christmas are touch devices, Father Christmas is going to be loaded down with iPads and Android tablets...

It is amazing how well Android has done in the market. I keep hearing comments from the developers about how difficult the platform is to develop code on.
Then again, I imagine developing software for Apple devices may be more difficult considering Apple's tight control of that market.

Still, its hard not to imagine a market for a PC in a C64 case. The Commodore geeks would love the retro factor.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline persiaTopic starter

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #260 on: September 12, 2010, 09:55:27 PM »
It's impossible to gage the amount of demand for a PC 64, a lot depends on price and what else is on the market.  It would be hard to sell retro styling at USD 600, you can get a decent laptop for that, but maybe USD 400, well, maybe.  Remember a lot of people can like something but when it comes to actually putting the card on the table to pay for it they're going to be a lot more conservative.

Android phone sales are catching up to iPhone pretty fast, it's true, but Google just dumped a bucket of cold water on tablets....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline mongo

• Show only replies by mongo
« Reply #261 on: September 12, 2010, 10:13:15 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;578980
That would be the real test.

So, instead of letting my inner retard shine, I'll relay one more comment from Mr. Altman.

Barry claimed he was going to try to have the PC64 ready for sale by Christmas. Since he was still in the process of getting the case molds made, I think he'll be hard pressed to accomplish this in such a short time.

So there's your first put up or shut up test.

Case molds? Does he even have a working prototype yet? Or is he just going to copy the C64 case exactly and hope that somehow a PC motherboard is going to fit in there? What is he planning to do for a keyboard and a keyboard controller? What is he going to do for a power supply? How is he going to get FCC approval?

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #262 on: September 12, 2010, 11:09:43 PM »
"How is he going to get FCC approval?"

Do you really think a guy who is stealing copyrighted artwork, stealing his whole website from apple, stealing his product manuals word for word from cybernet, a guy who is slapping commodore stickers on existing pc products, do you really think a guy like that will actually get
fcc approval? Your kidding right?

Steven

Offline Iggy

« Reply #263 on: September 12, 2010, 11:47:28 PM »
The uncertainties about FCC certification, what type of MB is going to be used, keyboard mapping, and other particulars all make this product's proposed availability date questionable.

With only about three months left, will it be available? I don't know.

Offline mongo

• Show only replies by mongo
« Reply #264 on: September 13, 2010, 12:20:33 AM »
Quote from: haywirepc;579009
"How is he going to get FCC approval?"

Do you really think a guy who is stealing copyrighted artwork, stealing his whole website from apple, stealing his product manuals word for word from cybernet, a guy who is slapping commodore stickers on existing pc products, do you really think a guy like that will actually get
fcc approval? Your kidding right?

Steven

Barry wouldn't do any thing illegal, would he?

Actually, if you look at the Cybernet ZPC9100, I mean Commodore Phoenix manual, it is a FCC Class A device, meaning Barry can't legally sell it for home use.

Offline Tripitaka

• Show only replies by Tripitaka
    • http://acidapple.com
« Reply #265 on: September 13, 2010, 03:16:59 AM »
Quote from: Darrin;578859
I use mint sauce as a lubricant.  :D

Tripi's tip time:

If you paint a wolf,s head on the wall and point the sheep in that direction they push back harder.....
....so I've heard. :D
Falling into a dark and red rage.

Offline Tripitaka

« Reply #266 on: September 13, 2010, 03:23:24 AM »
But to get back on topic....

I don't care how many stickers anyone sticks on an x86. It's still not a bl**dy Amiga.

I'll keep my money for SAM and Natami...
...and if I'm going to buy another X86 I would probably get the new 27" Mac, at £1400 with a screen on it worth the best part of a grand it's the first Apple that I've been truly tempted by.

Offline the_leander

• Show only replies by the_leander
    • http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/
« Reply #267 on: September 13, 2010, 03:46:56 AM »
Quote from: mongo;579017
Barry wouldn't do any thing illegal, would he?

Actually, if you look at the Cybernet ZPC9100, I mean Commodore Phoenix manual, it is a FCC Class A device, meaning Barry can't legally sell it for home use.

:eek:

Well then, I guess that's that. Unless he can get the system approved, any other discussion is moot.
Blessed Be,
Alan Fisher - the_leander

[SIGPIC]http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/[/SIGPIC]

Offline the_leander

• Show only replies by the_leander
    • http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/
« Reply #268 on: September 13, 2010, 04:39:18 AM »
Quote from: Tripitaka;579028

I'll keep my money for SAM and Natami...
...and if I'm going to buy another X86 I would probably get the new 27" Mac, at £1400 with a screen on it worth the best part of a grand it's the first Apple that I've been truly tempted by.

Tbh I quite like the Asus all in ones. Except for the fact they're all using ATI. ATI drivers on Linux is even more of a hateful experience now than it was 5 years ago.
Blessed Be,
Alan Fisher - the_leander

[SIGPIC]http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/[/SIGPIC]

Offline Tripitaka

« Reply #269 on: September 13, 2010, 05:55:53 AM »
Quote from: the_leander;579037
Tbh I quite like the Asus all in ones. Except for the fact they're all using ATI. ATI drivers on Linux is even more of a hateful experience now than it was 5 years ago.

I've not used Linux much to be honest. I keep going back every now and then to give it a go but I can't avoid Windoze. I'm an OU student and need to use OU software, my vinyl cutter has crap linux drivers but solid Windoze ones too, and so on. Having said that I don't try too hard to have the latest spec, I just don't need it. X86 and Windoze is for compatibility as far as I'm concerned.
Amigas (SAMS and Natami included of course) are for pure fun but the more I can use them the better.
I'm going to need another PC soon however, something portable to plug into an astronomical telescope. Again, Windows has a massive amount of high quality and mostly free software for astronomy and cheap hardware to  run it on. Closer to the time (Febuary 2011 at the latest)  I will take a look at other OS offerings in this field but I think a Windoze solution will be hard to beat, the amount of free software available for astronomers is truly breathtaking.....
...I'm pretty sure the PC will not have an Amiga sticker on it however. XD