Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AROS on Xbox just for fun :)  (Read 3497 times)

Description:

Offline som99Topic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
    • http://www.som99.se
AROS on Xbox just for fun :)
« on: July 22, 2010, 08:39:48 AM »
Well I had nothing to do a few days ago, so I booted my old trusty Xbox with Gentoo and wanted to run AROS on it :)

Since AROS x86 cant run nativly out of the box so I went ahead and installed XFree86 on it since its possible to get it to drain less ram then xorg. Then after countless issues and disabeling XFCE to save ram I realized XFree86 drains 32MB Ram :( But after some tweaking I got the AROS Linux-i386 build to start, BUT it was totally unusable due to the little amount of RAM in the Xbox (the xbox has 64MB and less then 30MB free at boot of AROS).

So now I want to know if anyone has gotten a x86 build of AROS running on the Xbox?

Also I got a Xbox 360 sitting at home begging me to use a custom bootloader and get PPC Linux on it. So has anyone tried to run the hosted AROS for PPC Linux on the 360?

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
Re: AROS on Xbox just for fun :)
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 04:02:30 PM »
Quote from: KThunder;571568
I always thought it would be cool to mod my game consoles but I never have. I ran some homebrew on my dreamcast which was pretty cool but nothing on the xbox.

Is there any way to boot a native aros setup? Or would it have to be built specifically for the xbox?

Currently there is no way to run AROS native on the xbox, I guess the Bios has to be rewritten a bit before it would work. Else it might be possible to adept the AROS build for Cromwell bios.

Quote from: dammy;571573
@som99

Have you tried to use a cut down version of AROS, maybe from the nightly without all the eye candy?  Theme software use to eat a ton of RAM and it's not really needed.

I had to run it as bare as possible to even get it started :( I wish I had an extra xbox then I could solder 64MB more ram on it and with 128MB ram in total, then I bet it would atleast be runable :)

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
Re: AROS on Xbox just for fun :)
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 08:53:57 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;571642
Depending upon on dedicated you are, you can always take the ram from another XBOX mobo and add it to your current one, thus giving you a total of 128Mb or RAM.

There are guides for this on XBOX-scene and youtube.

I know, I wrote that in a previous post ;)
Ive done it before in the past.
Tho I do not put high priority on that right now since it was all just for fun.
So im not spending anything on the xbox, also the hdd I had in the xbox (a 160GB) just died on me a hour or so ago. So im currently replacing it and starting all over, but since the Xbox is quite limited I might see what I can do on the 360 instead ;)

But I have one last plan on the xbox, ill write back here when ive tried it!