Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: VMWAROS LIVE! Requirements.....  (Read 2311 times)

Description:

Offline Colani1200

• Show all replies
Re: VMWAROS LIVE! Requirements.....
« on: May 22, 2008, 05:23:26 PM »

gizmo350 wrote:
It almost sounds like I can run the live CD and simply install VMWAROS LIVE! without an existing OS. Is taht possible?

Yes it is.

Also, the site states that the Traveller webbrowser in included...  how far alnog is that? Can you actually surf the web with it?

Traveller isn't finished yet, unfortunately the developer has stopped because of personal reasons. What is included isn't really usable yet (actually it is intended as a demo of the Webkit engine, not as a usable browser).

Fingers wrote:
Sound? Oh sound, what a PITA...there are drivers for all sorts of chipsets, but the only one that seems to work is the Soundblaster Live! card.

Soundblaster Live! is highly recommended, works nicely in my Aros machine. For networking, consider to get card that has a Realtek 8029 chipset, it also works fine.

Not a single native Amiga 3.1 compatible application I have tried to date has worked.

UAE integration isn't there yet, but it will be one day (hopefully). Until that has happened, you'll have to stick to applications that are ported to Aros. There are quite some interesting programs by now like Dopus, Simplemail, Wookiechat and Hivelytracker to name a few.

Offline Colani1200

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 05:25:33 PM »

gizmo350 wrote:
is there a way to "see" if the system obtained an IP address?

Yes, just open a shell and type: "ifconfig eth0".

Offline Colani1200

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 09:09:00 PM »

jagoche wrote:
Is it possible to run VMWAROS on Intel-based Mac Mini without installing Windows first?

I doubt that it can be installed natively because AFAIK Aros needs a PC bios (which Macs don't have). However, you might be able to install/run it as a virtual machine e.g. within Parallels or Qemu.

Offline Colani1200

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 09:28:16 PM »
You have to edit "SYS:Prefs/Env-Archive/AROSTCP/db/interfaces", not "Extras:networking/stacks/AROSTCP/db/interfaces", it is a bit confusing... Or just use ConfigIP in Prefs. What network card do you have? eth0 showing up in ifconfig doesn't actually mean it is working.

Offline Colani1200

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 10:03:21 PM »
Depends on the chipset. You may check this site to find out which hardware ist supported. As I already said, I had good results with a Realtek 8029. They are pretty easy to find and cheap.

Offline Colani1200

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 10:28:31 PM »
As with all niche systems, you'll have to choose the hardware carefully. Maybe hardware that others already might throw away. I don't want to know how many fully functional Amigas ended up in the junk yard BTW...

gizmo350 wrote:
One thing I don't get is where to change the subnet mask. When I run the IFCONFIG command, it shows 0.255.255.255. Should be 255.255.255.0   :-?

Yes, it should be 255.255.255.0 instead. Just use ConfigIP and the correct device.