Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AROS VS HAIKU  (Read 3276 times)

Description:

Offline Kathyone

• Show all replies
Re: AROS VS HAIKU
« on: May 11, 2007, 09:12:27 AM »
I checked out syllable.  It seems to have some great ideas but needs more software.  The software link didn't work for the software named.  It doesn't seem  to work on PPC, either.  I couldn't get a firm fix on the hardware named.  It doesn't clearly state what CPU you need.  Could you tell me.  Haiku is good, too.  OS4 is good but it needs to get rid of old dependencies and get more software.Without hardware it is hard if not impossible.  Let me know about hardware if you can.

Offline Kathyone

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 09:23:55 AM »
Still a Mac diehard.  Unless you get core 2.  It is a dog.  I had Windows running in only 4 meg of ram and I'm no windows lover.  Mac OSX has a big software base, but if an altrnative gets good software it could offer a real alternative.  I hate the spinning beachball.  You confuse bloat and high end processors with a good OS.  A good OS should run well on lesser hardware.  By the way, I am a real programmer with Assembly language and C and C++ experience.  I tested the original Amiga OS and have written some original programs.  When I said the deal about Mac not be a microkernel, I meant it has a mixed kernel heritage. OSX is mach plus BSD.  BSD is monolithic.  QNX by contrast is not.  It is distributed.  Some monolithic features work better for some applications.  Others are better distributed.  However, I hate slow boot and 1 gig plus OS.  I have had 2 major crashes with my hard drives and the filesystem is NOT great.
BE file system is better.  Two kernels is more to go wrong.  Apple has never been the great inventor.  It started on the Amiga and Commodore.  Apple 2 was a piece of junk.  I don't like apples attitude as a company towards it's users.  No real support.  Still a dog OS.  Prove me wrong with REAL info.  I have used all their software.  It is pure bloat.  Anything can run well on a Core Duo.

Offline Kathyone

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 09:25:12 AM »
Go to the syllable home page.  It has posix compliance if I remember right.