Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Classic Adventure 'Beneath a Steel Sky' Heads to the iPhone  (Read 3369 times)

Description:

Offline persiaTopic starter

• Show only replies by persia
Classic Adventure 'Beneath a Steel Sky' Heads to the iPhone
posted July 30th, 2009 8:00 PM EDT by Blake Patterson in Adventure, News, Retro, Upcoming Games, iPhone games, iPod touch games

Long time adventure fans will be thrilled to hear that Revolution Software has informed us that they are forming a mobile game division called Revolution Pocket, and the first title to be released through the new division is an iPhone port of the cult-classic adventure Beneath a Steel Sky.

Originally released for the Amiga and DOS in 1994, Beneath a Steel Sky is a sprawling graphical adventure set in Australia in a dystopian future.  The story goes like this: the protagonist, Robert, crashed in the Outback as a child and was raised by a group of natives.  After growing into an adult, storm-troopers sent from Union City by its all-powerful computer, LINC, kidnap Robert and kill his tribe.  After entering the city dome, the helicopter transporting him crashes and he escapes into the city with his robot companion, Joey.  Robert's mission is to find out why he was wanted and what to do next.

The game received very high praise at the time of its release and is widely considered to be one of the best adventure games ever created.  PC Gamer gave it 91% and called it "a must-buy for all serious adventure fans."  CU Amiga gave it 95%, calling it "one of the greatest adventures ever," while Simon Byron of The One gave it a 93%, saying, "I could sum this game in one word: Superb."

Revolution indicates that the game builds on the original, featuring new animated movies from comic artist Dave Gibbons who did the artwork for the original game as well as its introductory comic book.  This remastered iPhone release will feature a new context-sensitive help system and even higher quality audio than the original.

“The adventure genre is undergoing a renaissance, and we’re thrilled to be bringing a revamped and remastered version of this classic adventure to a whole new audience,” says Charles Cecil, founder of Revolution Software. Digital distribution has changed the game for developers, and it’s great to be able to communicate directly with our audience. Revolution has a sizeable, passionate fan base which we value enormously. By tackling development and publishing duties ourselves, we can strengthen our relationship with them and retain complete commercial and creative freedom – not just in terms of content, but in terms of distribution and, crucially, pricing. The model allows us to ensure that our games offer incredible value for money. We’re bringing high-quality, intelligent, narrative-based gaming to a whole new platform – some owners of which will have enjoyed the games before, and others who will be experiencing our titles for the very first time – and that’s something I find tremendously exciting.

While I've not personally played the game to completion, I've spent notable time with it -- and in recent years -- on my Amiga 1200.  Beneath a Steel Sky was an amazing adventure experience 15 years ago, and holds up quite well today.  Whether or not you've played the original, if you're an adventure gaming fan keep a close eye on this one.  It should truly be a rare App Store gem when it makes its debut.

We'll take a closer look when the game goes live but, in the mean time, have a look at the 2003 shareware release (which was ported to the ScummVM engine), playable on most major platforms.

See the original game's five-minute intro video here.  Photos in this article are from the Amiga / DOS versions of the game.

http://toucharcade.com/2009/07/30/classic-adventure-beneath-a-steel-sky-heads-to-the-iphone/
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline skilgannon

• Show only replies by skilgannon
Re: Classic Adventure 'Beneath a Steel Sky' Heads to the iPhone
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 02:35:51 PM »
Cool, and also for those of you who may not know, you can get it for free (legally) along with Lure of the Temptress (both for the PC though) on GOG.COM.
I\'m an IK+ championship winning, goal scoring superstar hero ;)

C= Amiga 600, 3.1 ROM with ACA630, 2mb Chip, CF IDE, Easynet Wifi (once it all arrives!)
CD32; Commodore SX64; C64c, Sinclair QL; Sinclair Spectrum+; Sinclair ZX81; PS3; XBOX 360; Sega Saturn; Wii; NDS; PSP.

Offline blakespot

• Visit ByteCellar.com
    • Show only replies by blakespot
    • ByteCellar - The Vintage Computing Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 03:44:19 PM »
Thanks for the repost.  (I wrote the original article.)

I can't wait!  Been playing it under whdload on the 1200 '060.

blakespot
:: ByteCellar.com - The Vintage Computing Weblog
:: Amigas: 1000, 2000 '020, SAM440ep-Flex

Offline the_leander

• Show only replies by the_leander
    • http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 04:28:11 PM »
You know, of all the point and click adventures, Beneath an Steel Sky was my absolute favourite.

It's almost enough to get me to consider getting an iPhone. Almost.
Blessed Be,
Alan Fisher - the_leander

[SIGPIC]http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/[/SIGPIC]

Offline GadgetMaster

• Show only replies by GadgetMaster
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 11:57:57 PM »
Quote from: the_leander;517540
You know, of all the point and click adventures, Beneath an Steel Sky was my absolute favourite.

It's almost enough to get me to consider getting an iPhone. Almost.

Looks like the iphone is the new portable Amiga gaming device. :cool:

Offline adolescent

• Show only replies by adolescent
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 12:18:09 AM »
Or if you're jailbroken you can download ScummVM from Cydia and play it for free right now (along with other games).
Time to move on.  Bye Amiga.org.  :(

Offline the_leander

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 12:19:12 AM »
Quote from: GadgetMaster;517585
Looks like the iphone is the new portable Amiga gaming device. :cool:

Hehe, maybe.

I'd consider an iPhone were it not for these three things:

I cannot justify the cost.

I think the Pre is far, far better (at least on paper)

I'd almost certainly leave it in the back of your car like I did my last phone :laughing:
Blessed Be,

Offline blakespot

• Visit ByteCellar.com
    • Show only replies by blakespot
    • ByteCellar - The Vintage Computing Blog
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 02:34:24 AM »
Quote from: the_leander;517591

I think the Pre is far, far better (at least on paper)

Howso?  It has the same internals as the iPhone basically (CPU, GPU) but no real dev kit and a store that can't possibly catch up.  You want apps written in HTLM5 or in C?

blakespot
:: ByteCellar.com - The Vintage Computing Weblog
:: Amigas: 1000, 2000 '020, SAM440ep-Flex

Offline Huxley_D

• Show only replies by Huxley_D
    • http://web.me.com/huckdunsany
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009, 07:07:33 AM »
For what it's worth, I'm currently playing "Secret of Monkey Island" on my iPhone 3GS, and it's awesome.  If you do happen to have an iPhone / iPod touch, you'd be nuts to not grab a copy!

Huxley

PS  Full disclosure:  I work for Apple, so I'm pretty biased in favor of everyone giving Apple more money.  ;-)

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2009, 07:59:14 AM »
Quote from: Huxley_D;517615
For what it's worth, I'm currently playing "Secret of Monkey Island" on my iPhone 3GS, and it's awesome.  If you do happen to have an iPhone / iPod touch, you'd be nuts to not grab a copy!

Huxley

PS  Full disclosure:  I work for Apple, so I'm pretty biased in favor of everyone giving Apple more money.  ;-)

I have Monkey Island on my iPhone... it is an amazing port!!! You can swipe left and right and melt between the original gfx/audio and remastered gfx and audio! it's great :)

Offline skipp604

• Show only replies by skipp604
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2009, 01:20:52 PM »
I can only wish that it will be released for Android platform aswell, so I can enjoy it, too :

Offline hayashi

• Show only replies by hayashi
    • http://www.d-linc.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2009, 01:31:21 PM »
Quote from: the_leander;517540

Me too! It's one of the reasons I'm so eager to set up a hard drive in my A1200, so I can add the Amiga to my list of platforms (I believe the current list is DOS, Windows, Linux and PSP - I installed a firmware mod on the latter just to play BASS on the go) I've completed Beneath a Steel Sky on =P

(I'm much too impatient to play it from floppies)

I probably won't get an iPhone, though. I'm perfectly fine with my bog-standard mobile.
[UK] A1200 with 2GB hard drive and Apollo 1240 040/33MHz/16MB FastRAM | A500+ with trapdoor memory upgrade and A520 modulator and no battery or power supply

Floppy Drive Grim Reaper and DPaint lover

Offline the_leander

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2009, 01:32:03 PM »
Quote from: blakespot;517604
Howso?  It has the same internals as the iPhone basically (CPU, GPU) but no real dev kit and a store that can't possibly catch up.  You want apps written in HTLM5 or in C?

Two words:

Tactile feedback.

As for what the apps are written in, it's irrelevant to the user so long as they work.
Blessed Be,

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 10:35:14 AM »
Wow!!! I've been playing Beneath a steel sky solidly for the past few days... The control system is so effortless and fluid it has to be the perfect touchscreen adventure game!!!

Anyone with an iPhone/iPod touch must download it... It's only £1.79 and is brilliant!!!! I'm hoping for a port of Lure of the Temptress using the same game engine!!!!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 10:39:27 AM by bloodline »

Offline _ThEcRoW

• Show only replies by _ThEcRoW
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2009, 02:35:05 PM »
Quote from: blakespot;517604

blakespot

No real devkit?. You didn't heard of Mojo?.  
One of the advantages of the pre over the iphone are the browser, it has flash support while safari on the iphone hasn't.
Amiga 1200 desktop. Apollo 030/50 Mhz 8mb ram + ClassicWB + Wb 3.1
Amiga 500 + ACA500Plus + 16gb CF | ECS Power!!!
C64 DTV + Keyboard mod. Waiting for a 1541 disk ve...
Mac Mini G4 1.42Ghz 1gb OSX(tiger)/Morphos 3.7 Registered
C64mini + usb drive with loads of games...