Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Java 2 v1.4 for Amiga OS 4  (Read 2814 times)

Description:

Offline jeffimix

• Show only replies by jeffimix
Re: Java 2 v1.4 for Amiga OS 4
« Reply #14 from previous page: March 22, 2003, 01:05:39 AM »
Well it seems to me...
AmigaOS4 has perfect emulation for all non-hardware banging apps right? Why wait for OS4 to start porting things, just make them hardware independent... much like Commodore said to from the beginning.
\\"The only benchmarks that matter is my impression of the system while using the apps I use. Everything else is opinion.\\" - FooGoo

Offline PulsatingQuasar

• Show only replies by PulsatingQuasar
    • http://none
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2003, 08:49:12 AM »
Well, there is high possibility that we will get Java now the source is more accessible. It's not as closed as before.

I think getting a good webbrowser to use Java might be handy aswell. Combi Mozilla + Java might raise a few eyebrowse in the Linux and Windows communities!
BlizzardPPC powered!!
AmigaOne-XE G3 800 MHz, 512 MB RAM, Radeon 8500, OS4

Offline filsonTopic starter

• Show only replies by filson
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2003, 10:09:33 AM »
AmigaOS4 has perfect emulation for all non-hardware banging apps right? Why wait for OS4 to start porting things, just make them hardware independent... much like Commodore said to from the beginning.

so you say that the AOS 4 dev kit can compile PPC code on a x86? at some point we have to hit the hardware. even basic methods like System.out.println() makes a system dependent call, as well as all the error loggin. The garbage collector is also system dependent.
But hey, I don't develop for AOS 4 so in this regard, I don't know sh.t. :-)
My name is Filson. I solve problems.

Offline El_Duduarino

• Show only replies by El_Duduarino
    • http://www.translateband.com
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2003, 02:34:47 AM »
Java is a must. OS4 will be soooooo much more enticing to a broader range of people if it has java support.

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2003, 02:49:57 AM »
To clear things up:

The Java engine in Intent is completely current but only to the PJava (Personal Java) specification. This is intended for embedded computing devices, not the desktop.

Creating a Java 1.4 port to AmigaOS would be a great but is a large task. It also breaks into two major efforts

1) port the 'JVM' or Java Virtual Machine to run the Java byte codes. Also, if speed is desired a PowerPC Just-In-Time compiler would also have to be done. The PowerPC JIT compiler may already be available, I'm unsure.

2) Port the AWT/Java2D (Abstract Windowing Toolkit). This basically maps Java graphics to the OS graphics. This is _NOT_ a small task.

It is an interesting question though...DE or OS4? You could port it to either, I just wonder how long it's really going to be before we se AmigaDE in the AmigaOS.

Also, forget HW acceleration. Even on Windows the only Java2D features that are HW accelerated are 'rectangle' and 'bit-blit'.

It would be nice to have but it'll require a serious coordinated effort. You're not going to have a lone-coder crank this out in six months.

Offline El_Duduarino

• Show only replies by El_Duduarino
    • http://www.translateband.com
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2003, 03:11:38 AM »

Also, forget HW acceleration. Even on Windows the only Java2D features that are HW accelerated are 'rectangle' and 'bit-blit'.

Fuzzy, I was sure there is a Java 3d API that supported HW accelleration..

Anyway you are definatley right it would be no small task, and there would need to be an independent contractor to do the work, however if TAO/whoever have made a cut down version, then surley they would see the benefits/$$$ that would come from a full implementation... I know I can.