Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: So Shoot Me I Like Internet Explorer 9!  (Read 5966 times)

Description:

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
Re: So Shoot Me I Like Internet Explorer 9!
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2012, 03:02:03 PM »
I also turned off Chrome when I found out Google basically pay hackers to tell them of any security issues/holes in Chrome.  The proviso;  You don't get paid if you tell anyone else.  Fine product, shiftier and shiftier company.

Offline TheDaddy

• Show only replies by TheDaddy
    • http://www.loriano.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2012, 03:36:41 PM »
But I thought their motto was "Do No Evil"... :D

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2012, 05:56:43 PM »
Quote from: gertsy;694597
I also turned off Chrome when I found out Google basically pay hackers to tell them of any security issues/holes in Chrome.  The proviso;  You don't get paid if you tell anyone else.  Fine product, shiftier and shiftier company.

This is common, and I assume you are referring to events like Pwn2Own?  Pwn2Own is multi platform, multi browser, multi device.

As for Google paying hackers to come forward with potential security issues, I see that as a great motivator.  Why would anyone BUT Google offer bounties to hackers to improve GOOGLE products?  Google does this not only with Chrome, but all Google services/sites.  If you find bugs in GMail or any of the apps, you can also be eligible for a bounty.  Why wouldn't they dangle a financial carrot in front of hackers with the money they have at hand?  It gives them a more solid product offering in the end.  

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9226895/Google_Raises_Bug_Bounties_to_20_000

Sure beats Microsoft and Apple outright ignoring reported issues, which there are many cases of.

Firefox for the most part has been entirely unusable due to the memory issues for a very long time, imho.  I've been using Chrome solely on this new PC I built here about 5-6 months ago and it's not crashed a single time yet.

IE 9 is a big step up from previous versions, but I still see no valid reason to use it unless corporate situations require it.

Opera is an enigmatic beast, just like it always was.  Rumors are now that Facebook may be interested in buying Opera out, likely for the Opera Mini mobile caching technology (which is wholly insecure).

Offline Linde

• Show only replies by Linde
    • http://hata.zor.org/
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2012, 06:01:38 PM »
Quote from: gertsy;694597
So you have a bunch of people who have made a hobby out of finding security holes in things (which in itself isn't illegal in any way), and instead of pretending that the flaws don't exist you decide to harness this fact in the most productive way possible while making sure the whole world doesn't pick up on it before it is fixed. SHIFTY INDEED.

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2012, 06:32:34 PM »
FF all the way here & very happy
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline partycentralpartygirl

• Show only replies by partycentralpartygirl
    • http://www.partycentralsupplies.com
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2012, 06:37:30 PM »
I tried out IE9.

Probably the fastest browser on the market right now.

At the time I tried it there was no Ad-Block plugin other than a broken one.

If they get a decent Ad-Blocker I will switch. Until then I will use Chrome & Opera.

Could not believe it myself, IE9 is actually a decent browser.

My head exploded.

Been a headless corpse since that day.

Offline nyteschayde

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by nyteschayde
    • http://www.nyteshade.com
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2012, 06:37:37 PM »
It really is interesting that you guys are experiencing so many crashes. I'd remove any existing profiles and preferences (different steps for different platforms) and try again.

I use all browsers daily (UX engineer) on a variety of machines; both Mac and PC. I rarely ever see Chrome crash and occasionally see FF crash but most likely due to plugins I'm experimenting with.

Quote from: TheDaddy;694560
I agree with itix...FF does seem crashy and a bit slow.

I use Chrome BUT some things don't work on it and it does crash quite often.

Remember the Moog Synthesizer doodle? Didn't work on Google Chrome :)
Senior MTS Software Engineer with PayPal
Amigas: A1200T 060/603e PPC • A1200T 060 • A4000D 040 • A3000 (x2) • A2000 Vamp/V2 • A1200 (x4) • A1000 (x3) • A600 Vamp/V1 • A500

Offline nyteschayde

« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2012, 07:13:46 PM »
You have to understand that anybody who has to write web pages for a living hates IE. In the last 10 years, hundreds of thousands of dollars (if not, literally, millions) have been spent on extra work hours trying to make special code just for IE.

Microsoft's inability to adapt to the near-monthly release cycles of Chrome, and Firefox have severely crippled IE from catching up or ever again becoming a contender. Each new IE release signifies another several years of having to spend extra time and effort just to have an acceptable experience, let alone one with parity with other browsers. It's truly a horrible experience all around for those who use it.

I still think the best two virii in the world that could be written are: 1. something that causes Chrome or Firefox to launch whenever IE is double clicked and/or 2. a virus that forces all Windows machines to upgrade to the latest version of IE.

The later bit there points at another huge issue with Windows and IE altogether. Too many damn people who still use the browsers, won't upgrade to the latest versions. So we are stuck supporting the older versions of IE which are significantly worse than the latest versions and require equally significant hacks just to show the sites we're building on them.

So, this is why IE sucks. It's not that you can't view GMail or your favorite adult websites on them. It's not even that they're slow, in general. It's mostly that they hinder us from providing you awesome new web pages because of their dated glacially moving technology stacks coupled with the fact that it comes with every Windows PC and non-computer literate people don't know how to get or use anything else.
Amigas: A1200T 060/603e PPC • A1200T 060 • A4000D 040 • A3000 (x2) • A2000 Vamp/V2 • A1200 (x4) • A1000 (x3) • A600 Vamp/V1 • A500

Offline djrikki

• Show only replies by djrikki
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2012, 09:15:56 PM »
Quote from: nyteschayde;694624
You have to understand that anybody who has to write web pages for a living hates IE. In the last 10 years, hundreds of thousands of dollars (if not, literally, millions) have been spent on extra work hours trying to make special code just for IE.

As one of those people you describe I agree 110%.  If you take a college/uni course these days you are quickly told that IE is satan.  And yes, the computer illiterate either won't update or don't know how to.  It really is a sad state of affairs.  IE6 in particular has been a bone of contention for many in the industry for far too long, as the years go by people are naturally dropping it, but many workplaces still use it along with XP.  IE7 and IE8 both suck too with huge admissions and stuff that you have to explicit about.  Although IE9 seems to have finally 'got there' I still won't use it as a personal browser.

http://www.ie6countdown.com/

Personally, I am also looking forward to the day that 'everyone' is using a modern HTML5 browser so I don't have to keep writing code for all the time - all the 'new' HTML5 form property will make life for the web designer so much easier as the burden shifts to the browser itself.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 09:23:06 PM by djrikki »

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2012, 09:32:34 PM »
Quote from: cv643d;694590
In a way I can totally understand your opinion, your personality is to find faults, compare the thing that has a fault and in public informing, sorry, screaming out to everyone how great you are because you know that thing is crap and you wont use it.

You say it is bad. IE6 was bad, IE7 is bad also, IE8 is maybe bad also but IE 9 is not bad. It loads fast, is nicely integrated in the best multitasking operating system in the world: Win 7.

You say it is bloated? Are you serious?! LOL someone bought the FF hype.

It is evil?! LOL, spinning the age old myth that MS is evil. I would bet IE is less evil than MorphOS is. At least there is not much IE fanboys needing to wave their e-penos in public seeking confirmation.

:lol:
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline partycentralpartygirl

• Show only replies by partycentralpartygirl
    • http://www.partycentralsupplies.com
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2012, 09:39:49 PM »
Quote from: djrikki;694636
As one of those people you describe I agree 110%.  If you take a college/uni course these days you are quickly told that IE is satan.  And yes, the computer illiterate either won't update or don't know how to.  It really is a sad state of affairs.  IE6 in particular has been a bone of contention for many in the industry for far too long, as the years go by people are naturally dropping it, but many workplaces still use it along with XP.  IE7 and IE8 both suck too with huge admissions and stuff that you have to explicit about.  Although IE9 seems to have finally 'got there' I still won't use it as a personal browser.

http://www.ie6countdown.com/

Personally, I am also looking forward to the day that 'everyone' is using a modern HTML5 browser so I don't have to keep writing code for all the time - all the 'new' HTML5 form property will make life for the web designer so much easier as the burden shifts to the browser itself.

Yes I maintain a couple of websites and wish that I could use HTML5 to code it. Unfortunately it's too early at this point. Not just because of IE6 but because people are still going to be accessing sites from mobile platforms and it will take a while to have 100% of users using 100% HTML5 compatible browsers.

I just use CSS and html. I don't worry about coding special for IE6 as my site renders perfectly in all browsers I've tested including IE6.

Offline smerf

• Show only replies by smerf
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2012, 09:52:44 PM »
Hi,

[Webkit rules, and so does Odyssey for MorphOS! ]

Well everybody has an opinion, but opinions are like Aholes, but this one really stinks

Just like you all hate Amiga Emulators, I really hate Amiga Emulators when run on a slow, old, obsolete PPC controlled computer.
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better

Offline nyteschayde

« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2012, 09:59:49 PM »
There are things that can be done to start making your transition to HTML5. For personal sites, staying away from the glitzy features of HTML5 is likely fine. For larger professional sites, we don't have that luxury. We need to innovate or feel stale, but we need to support legacy browsers to some degree.

There are tons of tricks and tips I could offer if any of you have questions on how to solve individual issues, but the concept of modern web dev is innovate, and degrade to some usable (but not desirable) subset for lesser browsers (which in almost all cases are IE).

Most smart phones (iOS and Android derivatives) support enough HTML5 to make a transition. Even, ack, IE9 supports enough to make a transition but you need to handle IE6, 7 and 8 issues for each special feature you wish to deal with.

Personal sites have the power to ask the user to upgrade. For all of you having crashes with your browsers it may be time for some clean up or even (gasp) a reinstall if you're using Microsoft products. Windows 7 is the best of all Windows versions to date, but XP could use a reinstall every year or so to stay fresh, clean, fast and stable (depending on how much/often you install software).

Quote from: partycentralpartygirl;694638
Yes I maintain a couple of websites and wish that I could use HTML5 to code it. Unfortunately it's too early at this point. Not just because of IE6 but because people are still going to be accessing sites from mobile platforms and it will take a while to have 100% of users using 100% HTML5 compatible browsers.

I just use CSS and html. I don't worry about coding special for IE6 as my site renders perfectly in all browsers I've tested including IE6.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2012, 11:36:33 PM »
I stick with Firefox 1.5 and K-Meleon 1.5.4 - they do everything I need, and they're lighter than every alternative I've tried. (Haven't tried Chrome, because I don't trust Google as far as I could kick 'em.)

HTML5 is just wrong-headed. Don't get me wrong, HTML could use a revamp, but putting direct rendering control in the hands of Javascript programmers is like giving a chimpanzee a machine gun. Web designers are bad about (poorly) reinventing basic browser functionality now; by the time this stuff is commonplace, your whole processor load will be consumed by someone's shoddy Javascript-and-canvas implementation of a window manager, dropdown menus, and desktop environment.

(And, uh, wasn't it just ten short years ago that the same group of people now advocating for HTML5 were screaming at people to use CSS because "HTML is supposed to specify the content, not the layout!"?)

Quote from: xkcd
It's fun to watch browsers fumblingly recapitulate the history of window management. Someday we'll have xmonad as a Firefox extension.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline nyteschayde

« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2012, 12:27:16 AM »
I have to cringe a little bit when reading this. Google is fine; there are much worse companies to worry about out there (Facebook for one). I've been using Google products for quite a while and I haven't had my identity stolen nor have advertisers shown up at my door, nor have I had my online banking info stolen or anything else related to privacy. I *am* biased as I used to work for Google in the past so take it however you like, but even after leaving them I'd still trust them with quite a bit.

As for HTML5, your opinion sounds very much like what I might have said before I delved deeper into the world of being an UI Engineer. When I was a server-side engineer I felt very much the same way. Canvas apps, even in most web pages, are going to be very specific to games and other types of full screen apps. CSS still reigns supreme and most of the animations in HTML5 are delegated to the browser and not implemented in JS.

Also I would give modern day JavaScript developers more credit than you do. There are still some bad devs out there for sure, but there are some very talented ones too. And the number of talented JS devs is increasing every day due specifically to the fact JavaScript is growing in power and gaining the attention of others.

Quote from: commodorejohn;694649
I stick with Firefox 1.5 and K-Meleon 1.5.4 - they do everything I need, and they're lighter than every alternative I've tried. (Haven't tried Chrome, because I don't trust Google as far as I could kick 'em.)

HTML5 is just wrong-headed. Don't get me wrong, HTML could use a revamp, but putting direct rendering control in the hands of Javascript programmers is like giving a chimpanzee a machine gun. Web designers are bad about (poorly) reinventing basic browser functionality now; by the time this stuff is commonplace, your whole processor load will be consumed by someone's shoddy Javascript-and-canvas implementation of a window manager, dropdown menus, and desktop environment.

(And, uh, wasn't it just ten short years ago that the same group of people now advocating for HTML5 were screaming at people to use CSS because "HTML is supposed to specify the content, not the layout!"?)

Offline Blinx123

• Show only replies by Blinx123
« Reply #44 from previous page: May 30, 2012, 12:56:00 AM »
Quote from: magnetic;694545
Well its hard to believe. After all the years of getting friends and family using Firefox, Opera, Chrome, anything other than IE for a browser... I like IE9.

Its fast, lots of nice touches, both graphical and practical. I like the controls on the url bar, the color coding of tabs and pages. The built in "security" and perfect integration with Windows 7 (my laptop is a dell dual core 2ghz w/ Win 7 and another partition for OSX)

I have latest FF, Chrome and IE and now i'm using IE all the time. Amazing...

All I hear is bloatware, bloatware and more bloatware.
Why would your browser need to look particularly sleek?

I never quite understood all that hype about good looking browser frontends, bloated websites and messy addons.

Perhaps it's because I'm a code monkey. Personally, I couldn't care less what webpages look like.

In fact, I wish they were less glossy since my bandwidth is currently capped at 385KBps (that's right. Less than an MBit)

Quote from: itix;694556
Too bad Firefox crashes so often I had to stop using it.

Approximately 90% of Firefox' crashes indicate a problem with the plugin container. Something that shouldn't be too hard to fix.
Sam: \\"You crack me up little buddy\\"
Max: \\"I love you Sam\\"