Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: So Shoot Me I Like Internet Explorer 9!  (Read 5992 times)

Description:

Offline Blinx123

• Show only replies by Blinx123
Re: So Shoot Me I Like Internet Explorer 9!
« Reply #44 from previous page: May 30, 2012, 12:56:00 AM »
Quote from: magnetic;694545
Well its hard to believe. After all the years of getting friends and family using Firefox, Opera, Chrome, anything other than IE for a browser... I like IE9.

Its fast, lots of nice touches, both graphical and practical. I like the controls on the url bar, the color coding of tabs and pages. The built in "security" and perfect integration with Windows 7 (my laptop is a dell dual core 2ghz w/ Win 7 and another partition for OSX)

I have latest FF, Chrome and IE and now i'm using IE all the time. Amazing...

All I hear is bloatware, bloatware and more bloatware.
Why would your browser need to look particularly sleek?

I never quite understood all that hype about good looking browser frontends, bloated websites and messy addons.

Perhaps it's because I'm a code monkey. Personally, I couldn't care less what webpages look like.

In fact, I wish they were less glossy since my bandwidth is currently capped at 385KBps (that's right. Less than an MBit)

Quote from: itix;694556
Too bad Firefox crashes so often I had to stop using it.

Approximately 90% of Firefox' crashes indicate a problem with the plugin container. Something that shouldn't be too hard to fix.
Sam: \\"You crack me up little buddy\\"
Max: \\"I love you Sam\\"

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2012, 01:03:48 AM »
Quote from: nyteschayde;694651
I have to cringe a little bit when reading this. Google is fine; there are much worse companies to worry about out there (Facebook for one). I've been using Google products for quite a while and I haven't had my identity stolen nor have advertisers shown up at my door, nor have I had my online banking info stolen or anything else related to privacy. I *am* biased as I used to work for Google in the past so take it however you like, but even after leaving them I'd still trust them with quite a bit.
Yes, Facebook is more evil - which is why I don't use it and never have. Doesn't change the fact that Google has (among other things) tried to strongarm GMail users into connecting their accounts to Google Buzz, spied on public wi-fi users, and played along with Chinese government censorship in order to get those few extra dollars in the bank. The worst company in existence? Maybe not. But not exactly an impressive record.

Canvas apps, even in most web pages, are going to be very specific to games and other types of full screen apps.
And Flash is going to be specific to games and multimedia, and will never be used to replace actual site functionality or make ads that talk to you. OH WAIT.

Also I would give modern day JavaScript developers more credit than you do. There are still some bad devs out there for sure, but there are some very talented ones too. And the number of talented JS devs is increasing every day due specifically to the fact JavaScript is growing in power and gaining the attention of others.
There may very well be some talented Javascript developers out there, but that doesn't change the fact that once you give a bad developer free reign, as HTML5 does, you're basically sunk. The site produced will be bad, and it doesn't matter how many good developers there are out there who could do it better, because you'd have to convince the site owners to hire a better developer and expend the time, money, and effort for a revamp, which they're not going to do.

And the quality of the Javascript is only part of the problem - the other part is that web designers use it in tons of places where it has absolutely no business being. Links are replaced with calls to JS functions which redirect the page, form-submit buttons are replaced with function calls to submit the form, hell, some pages even display page text via Javascript! It's hideous how common this crap is becoming. Giving JS devs more tools is only going to result in more unnecessarily JS-dependent websites.

There's already sites that are completely unreadable with NoScript activated; the more accepted this kind of thing becomes, the fewer sites will remain readable. I'm sorry, it's just really, really not worth the tradeoff.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline dreamcast270mhz

• Show only replies by dreamcast270mhz
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2012, 01:04:42 AM »
Quote from: cv643d;694590
IE 9 is not bad. It loads fast, is nicely integrated in the best multitasking operating system in the world: Win 7.

You say it is bloated? Are you serious?! LOL someone bought the FF hype.

It is evil?! LOL, spinning the age old myth that MS is evil. I would bet IE is less evil than MorphOS is.

There are a multitude of things wrong with this post, itself is riddled in fallacy.

Lets compare release cycles shall we?

IE: About 2 to 2 1/2 years

Chrome: one to two months

Firefox: ditto

Then there is your quote "best multitasking operating system in the world: Win 7."

Windows XP was the last (out of 3) versions of Windows I have genuinely paid for. XP is a very good OS, but it is definitely showing age. 7 improved much over Vista, but I have some complaints: Taskbar is ripped off of OS X. "Snapping" and other features are product gimmicks that they over do. Windows has a longer release cycle than either Ubuntu or OS X, even counting service packs and major hotfixes. It is also the only one of the three to have product activation/genuine advantage bull****.

All NT based versions of windows have certain bottlenecks to performance, such as swap based ONLY as a file and no option to have a partition, like UNIX derivatives. Other examples include having the GUI in supervisor mode, NTFS being a wasteful FS (Ext2-4, HFS+, FAT32/EXFAT, HAMMER and ZFS are all excellent choices) the fact that it still uses a COMMAND.COM style shell, caps on TCP connections and the fact that NT is a bloated kernel despite it not being Monolithic (98SE has a vastly superior kernel in many respects and is a good DOS gaming OS).
My machines:
PowerMac G4 MDD 1.5ghz 1.25GB 10.5.8 & MOS 2.7
Mac Mini C2D 10.6.8 2GHz 3GB 250GB HDD
MacBook Retina 16GB 256GB SSD 10.8
iPad 2
Underground Gamer invites (a classic game site) PM

Need a part for a PC or Mac? PM me, I\'ll let you know if I come across it.

OS X trumps Windows on every level.

MorphOS, OS4 and Classic Amiga systems are the only ones who are real \'Amigas\', not that joke AROS or Amiga Forever.

Offline magneticTopic starter

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2012, 02:53:05 AM »
President Bush Jr's legacy has brought us the perfect Orwellian society

LMAO you really think that Bush Jr had any say in what policies went on while he was president?  I bet you think Kermit the Frog is a real person making descisions? (you must because they are both puppets with hands up their shirts)

The JFK Coup d'état  starting the police state and military industrial/corporate apparatus that really controls policy and govenrment.

And now you have people AGREEING TO EULAs for Gmail, yahoo, Facebook, etc etc and WILLINGLY giving up ALL RIGHTS TO PRIVACY. Welcome to Internet 2.0. And Big Brother Loves YOU WINSTON!

The govt alphabet agencies have always spied on us, now they do it with our full consent and permission.. man the drafters of the us constitiion must be weeping.
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2012, 06:03:45 AM »
We could fight the government, when the corporations and banks were weak.

We could fight the banks and corporations when the government was weak.

Time will tell if we can fight both when they have joined forces.

Quote from: commodorejohn;694649
I stick with Firefox 1.5 and K-Meleon 1.5.4 - they do everything I need, and they're lighter than every alternative I've tried. (Haven't tried Chrome, because I don't trust Google as far as I could kick 'em.)

You're partly on linux right? I reeeally liked Epiphany back in the day, but I don't know how much it's progressed these days

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2012, 06:49:21 AM »
I can't inspect the source code for IE, I can for Chrome and FF though, for the most part.  

Somehow Google always comes out as the Great Satan - not MS though, the company that pretty much put the term "anti trust suit" into modern vocabulary.

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2012, 06:49:53 AM »
Quote from: runequester;694665
You're partly on linux right? I reeeally liked Epiphany back in the day, but I don't know how much it's progressed these days
Actually no, I've done a number of switchover attempts but I finally gave up after the last one in November. Last I saw of Epiphany, it's pretty alright; it's not a massive memory hog like later versions of Firefox, if nothing else. My problem with it is it's part of the whole GNOME tangle, which means it's going to get "updated" for GNOME 3, if it hasn't already :/
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2012, 06:50:22 AM »
Quote from: Duce;694667
I can't inspect the source code for IE, I can for Chrome and FF though, for the most part.  

Somehow Google always comes out as the Great Satan - not MS though, the company that pretty much put the term "anti trust suit" into modern vocabulary.

People tend to pick the one they like (Microsoftgoogleapplefacebook) and pretend they aren't as ****ty as the rest.

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2012, 06:53:21 AM »
Quote from: Duce;694667
I think it's because Microsoft has been pretty transparently sinister since about the time they announced Windows just after getting a good look at what the Mac Team was cooking up over at Apple. Google got to be the garage-startup darlings of the early-2000s web-Renaissance before maturing into a solid tech company, so they've always enjoyed good PR; consequently, they feel more insidious in their evil than MS does.

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2012, 08:17:33 AM »
Seriously, some of you ought to get away from your computers and get a bit of fresh air. The paranoia is scary. If youre so concerned about who and what is evil then the answer seems pretty simple to me...... find a new hobby.

As for the topic, I agree with the general concencous:

FF sucks (has for years and in my opinion was only an option in the IE6 days). It's too bloated, super crash happy, and just "feels" wrong and alien regardless of what system its being used on.
IE Ive been fairly content with since version7. It's nice and stable and does what I need (and quite well). My only issue with it is that rendering can be a little off.
Chrome is also quite nice. Fast, good rendering and a lack of bloat. Perhaps I have different needs of the net, but Ive never found he ability to add shedloads of bloat (plug-ins) a positive (as is often the "defense" of firefox lovers). The 2 major qualms I have with Chrome is that shockwave is pretty crash happy (although thankfully it rarely brings the browser itself down and a refresh will usually fix it), and that there's no zoom function (very handy when running a browser on a 1920x1080 tv when sitting 12 or so feet away).
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline nyteschayde

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by nyteschayde
    • http://www.nyteshade.com
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2012, 08:45:27 AM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;694674
The 2 major qualms I have with Chrome is that shockwave is pretty crash happy (although thankfully it rarely brings the browser itself down and a refresh will usually fix it), and that there's no zoom function (very handy when running a browser on a 1920x1080 tv when sitting 12 or so feet away).

You can zoom on Chrome just fine, the only difference is there is no toolbar button for it (extensions will likely add this without adding bloat; btw). Just press Ctrl-+ Ctrl-- or Ctrl-0 (to reset) and things will work great. I think it's control on Windows, I'm using a Mac so it's the Apple key.
Senior MTS Software Engineer with PayPal
Amigas: A1200T 060/603e PPC • A1200T 060 • A4000D 040 • A3000 (x2) • A2000 Vamp/V2 • A1200 (x4) • A1000 (x3) • A600 Vamp/V1 • A500

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2012, 10:06:13 AM »
Zoom works just fine on Chrome via the Windows built in zoom function.

Offline Thorham

• Show only replies by Thorham
« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2012, 10:29:28 AM »
Opera seems best on my 667 Mhz Pentium 3.

Offline whabang

• Show only replies by whabang
« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2012, 12:25:07 PM »
Links. :afro:

When it comes to graphical browsers, I got stuck on Opera quite a while back.

I use all the major browser daily at work, and while there's lots of improvements in IE9, it really doesn't keep up with the others (apart from Safari, but Apple are evil too!).
Beating the dead horse since 2002.

Offline spirantho

« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2012, 03:52:13 PM »
I find it ironic that here on an Amiga forum people are complaining about how all the various companies are bad/evil/satanic/whatever, when to me one of the prime benefits of using an Amiga is that you don't have to worry about it.
For me I tend to ignore all the Google/MS/Apple bashing because when it comes down to it, they're all as bad as each other. Give me a good OS with good browsers done by good people, and I'm happy. Let everyone else worry about the big corps, when I'm on the Miggy I don't have to, which is part of why I enjoy using it more than a PC.
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

Offline dreamcast270mhz

• Show only replies by dreamcast270mhz
« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2012, 02:58:09 AM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;694674
FF sucks (has for years and in my opinion was only an option in the IE6 days). It's too bloated, super crash happy, and just "feels" wrong and alien regardless of what system its being used on.

Here, you tell a bit of truth. For the latest of the official Firefox (not TenFourFox, as I sometimes use) you need at least (bare minimum if running windows 7) a Core Solo 1.5GHz, and thats with Aero Basic, and many effects and hacks applied. I use it on Ubuntu and 7 with a Core 2 Duo and i will say that the windows/linux implementations of Firefox blows IE out of the water in terms of usability and power. I do not use Chrome on either one as I prefer it only on OS X, where its GUI is metallic rather than that awful blue theme on XP and 7, and where it trumps in speed.

So, yes Firefox has ballooned but it is still a very viable option to IE. Lets not forget this all too famous page: http://toastytech.com/evil/

To me IE is the equivalent of MS saying: "May we give thieves your bank details, compromise your browsing experience and... : http://youtu.be/onEfmC6HRF4?t=29s  ?"
My machines:
PowerMac G4 MDD 1.5ghz 1.25GB 10.5.8 & MOS 2.7
Mac Mini C2D 10.6.8 2GHz 3GB 250GB HDD
MacBook Retina 16GB 256GB SSD 10.8
iPad 2
Underground Gamer invites (a classic game site) PM

Need a part for a PC or Mac? PM me, I\'ll let you know if I come across it.

OS X trumps Windows on every level.

MorphOS, OS4 and Classic Amiga systems are the only ones who are real \'Amigas\', not that joke AROS or Amiga Forever.