Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: You thought 1000+ (USD/Euro) for a PPC is insane? No. THIS is insane!  (Read 4041 times)

Description:

Offline hardlink

• Show only replies by hardlink
Re: You thought 1000+ (USD/Euro) for a PPC is insane? No. THIS is insane!
« Reply #44 from previous page: March 28, 2008, 04:42:32 AM »
I usually think 'insane' is when it sells for more than the new price. US$1000 is *less* than I paid for my CyberStorm PPC, and they are all the same age, so I'd say a grand for a PPC is a steal! I'd love to return mine for full price, buy the exact same thing for $1000, and pocket the difference, any day of the week!

But I only paid a couple of hundred for my external FF/SD, so I'd have to agree that this is quite insane.

Offline countzero

• Show only replies by countzero
    • http://blog.coze.org
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2008, 05:05:55 AM »
I think this auction proves my theory that old time Amiga users are getting senior jobs now and money is not an issue for them anymore ... (unlike me  :-P )
I believe in mt. Fuji

Offline Damion

« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2008, 05:23:36 AM »

As far as new units are concerned it's all talk / rumors / ideas at this point and as we all know we probably shouldn't hold our breath for new items.

Here and here

While I agree that the price of certain items is going a little higher (PPC cards for OS4 being an obvious and understandable example) it's definitely not true in every case. Most of the time scandoublers sell for between $150 - $300. (And as an aside, $350 for an Apollo 1260 card is about what they've been worth for 10 years now...)

The ebay market on this stuff fluctuates quite a bit, and I guarantee only a very few would pay more than $200 - $300 for an Indivision. Only a fool would pay more when they can easily be had for far less. $900 could _easily_ get you an RGB -> component converter and nice multi-region LCD.

Yes, there are some "wild" examples now and again, but as a rule ebay prices haven't changed too drastically over the last several years (aside from the PPC cards).

This thread kind of reminds me of the BMW R-bike circle... one guy cuts a fat pig, and all of a sudden everyone thinks their rotting 80's POS is a precious jewel worth 5 times what it actually is...

Offline amigan24

• Show only replies by amigan24
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2008, 05:40:09 AM »
Still not holding my breath!  :lol:

Offline Damion

« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2008, 05:49:09 AM »

amigan24 wrote:
Still not holding my breath!  :lol:

Who cares? Get an RGB -> component converter and a nice LCD right now, buy the $65 scandoubler later and still pocket a few hundred :lol:

Offline kidkoala

• Show only replies by kidkoala
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2008, 07:42:28 AM »
More mad prices for an Indivision:

that's my Indivision you are referring to, like I said earlier in the thread it's one of many things that I am to put out soon.

@thread

PLEASE! Can someone state if the INDIVISION SCANDOUBLER is compatible with Scandoublers called TOASTSCAN??

I have no experience with Toasters and someone is asking this question on my auction. The person asking thinks he has found evidence that it is, but I need to be sure because i've put Toastscan in my auction text.
Also, I suspect the high price of the external scandoublers is just because of this, some people need it for their Toaster systems and will pay accordingly to get it.

EDIT:

This IS the toastscan unit, reproduced in 2002 by Schönfeld: This particular scandoubler was originally called the ToastScan (http://www.softhut.com/cgi-bin/test/Web_store/web_store.cgi?page=catalog/hardware/accelerators/apollo_scandoublers.html&cart_id=262311_5194) and was sold by SoftHut (who no-longer have any) and then remade in 2002 by Jens Schoenfeld of Individual computing, renaming it Indivision.
Mi amiga..Mi amore..
..::A4000PPC::..

Offline dannyp1

• Show only replies by dannyp1
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2008, 02:05:07 PM »
I had a dream last night and came up with a solution for these flicker-fixers selling at such a high price and upsetting many people around here.  This solution would help the people desiring a FF and also the people upset and fretting over the high prices.  Here's my solution:  If all of the people here on the Org who have external FF's would all list them on EBay with a starting bid of .99 it would flood the market and the theory of supply and demand would drive the selling prices way down.  Everybody would be happy!!  The people wanting one would get a low fair price and the people selling them would be happy that they aren't selling for insane prices!  Of course you all know where this is going.  Most owners of FF's who use them every day don't want to sell them at any price.  If they did there would be more than 1 on EBay at the moment.  Even the people who wouldn't mind selling high and buying low don't feel like going through the next 6 months, 1 year, 2 year or even longer waiting for the prices to drop.  They want their FF NOW!!  If they use their Amiga every day they don't want to go through a long period of time looking at their screens flicker.  I wouldn't dream of selling my PIV for $900.  To get it you would have to pry it from my cold dead hands!

Dan :evil:

Offline hardlink

• Show only replies by hardlink
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2008, 02:31:22 PM »

dannyp1 wrote:
... don't want to go through a long period of time looking at their screens flicker.  I wouldn't dream of selling my PIV for $900.  To get it you would have to pry it from my cold dead hands!

You have a good point there. I built up my A1200 to have a portable machine, and the FF/SD means I can use a FlatPanel LCD monitor. No way would I sell it and go back to lugging a 1084 around!!