Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Raspberry PI 3 B is incoming!  (Read 19324 times)

Description:

Offline nyteschayde

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
    • http://www.nyteshade.com
Re: Raspberry PI 3 B is incoming!
« on: February 29, 2016, 10:56:09 PM »
Quote from: kolla;804055
Yes, fast, reliable wireless connectivity that supports all encryptions and simply can be upgraded by replacing a usb stick. IPv6 - the Pi can do it and act as data-proxy for a few protocols. Samba indeed, or how about implementingan amiga netfs-server for *ix? :) Hooking the Pi serial console to a serial port on the amiga for console on the Pi (and provide PPP-login, if the Amiga doesn't have ethernet), streaming media to the Pi, video, audio.. Install a browser on the Pi use it via RDesktop from the Amiga... all in all, always have a little linux server around inside your Amiga :laughing:

There is PlipBox that does PLIP using Amiga parallel port - I do wonder if it can be possible to skip the entire arduino-ethernet bit and have Amiga communicate with Pi over the parallel port more directly. Of course, there is voltage differences one would need to take care of.
This is something I seriously considered doing a while back with my RPi but I didn't want to risk damaging the Amiga itself. It'd fit nicely in the trapdoor of an A1200. However the one thing I really really want on all these Raspberry Pi's and all the clones is RAM. Why the hell are we doing only 2GB on the best of them. Add $10-20 and double or quadruple the RAM.

The lack of RAM on a RPi is what causes swap and the I/O on the boards isn't what you'd call fantastic. I have a PCDuino3 because it has SATA onboard. The CPU/GPU on all these micro PCs are good enough to play with, but the lack of RAM and slow I/O prevent them from being used outside of hobbyist situations.

A $15 RPiZero with 2-4GB of RAM would be awesome!
Senior MTS Software Engineer with PayPal
Amigas: A1200T 060/603e PPC • A1200T 060 • A4000D 040 • A3000 (x2) • A2000 Vamp/V2 • A1200 (x4) • A1000 (x3) • A600 Vamp/V1 • A500