Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Using an Amiga with OS4.1 for daily work.  (Read 1305 times)

Description:

Offline broadblues

Re: Using an Amiga with OS4.1 for daily work.
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2016, 10:13:49 AM »
Quote from: fondpondforever;808293
I do abit of work down a Historic Tin Mine like writing notes and making posters/leaflet's for people locally. Use Microsoft Word and Adobe Photoshop. Thought it would be interesting to use Amiga Software on a real amiga for this.

The kind of work you describe can easily be done on an AmiagOS 4.1 machine.

I use Wordworth 7 for wordprocessing, poster / flyer creation. Printing to postscrit them converting to PDF with Ghostscript.

(my PDFMaker script isavailable here http://www.broad.ology.org.uk/docs/amiga/proaction/05_A_Simple_App.html , realy ought to split that out of the tutorial an upload it to os4depot)

I use SketchBlock and ImageFX for graphics creation, saving the results inot 3 formats native (.skprj for further editing) , .ps for inclusing in Wordworth docs, and 24bit ilbm for previewing in wordworth (need imagefx for that). And ofcourse jpeg png etc for websueage where required.

Printing wise I have a HP laserjet Pro 200 color M251n which takes postscript data direct. This is important, don;t get any new printer that doesn't support postscript. You want a lasre for quality anyway, and all the other will lack somewhere in the driver chain.

Offline broadblues

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2016, 10:32:24 AM »
@OlafS3

How does he exchange data with a print office? I would guess they do not support amiga software there.

PDF, most printers ,in the UK anyway, prefer it. At least those that provide, CD / DVD  cover, poster , flyer , leaflet printing services anyway.

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2016, 12:54:25 PM »
Quote from: broadblues;808316
@OlafS3

PDF, most printers ,in the UK anyway, prefer it. At least those that provide, CD / DVD  cover, poster , flyer , leaflet printing services anyway.

"PDF-Printer" on amiga or exporting PDF? I am not aware that this is possible but would do be interested. You can print as postscript file and this convert f.e. on windows but that is not amiga-only then. Another problem... at least the software I use to design "printable" documents supports different versions of PDF, not possible on amiga I guess.

Offline cha05e90

• Show only replies by cha05e90
    • http://www.ruthe.info
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2016, 01:51:47 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;808325
"PDF-Printer" on amiga or exporting PDF? I am not aware that this is possible but would do be interested. You can print as postscript file and this convert f.e. on windows but that is not amiga-only then. Another problem... at least the software I use to design "printable" documents supports different versions of PDF, not possible on amiga I guess.

Hum? You could do that with Amiga since ages - nothing AmigaOS 4.x specific. Most of my (past) productivity work with my 3.x setups generated Postscript - be it with Wordworth, Pagestream, Draw Studio or Final Writer. Pagestream can generate PDF out of the box.

There are tools and scripts which will make PDF out of this Postscript outputs - of course most (maybe all of them - I can't remember...:-)) need an installed Ghostscript (which is a standard part of all of my AmigaOS setups). Of course the PDF versions will be rather "ancient", but that should be no problem - even the newest Acrobat will read an v1.4 PDF ;-)
X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000

Offline kolla

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2016, 01:55:07 PM »
So called "word processing" must be the most overrated "need" ever, so glad I don't have to deal with "office apps" neither in my work nor privately :)
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline dovegrace

• Committed Git
    • Show only replies by dovegrace
    • http://dovegrace.blogspot.com
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2016, 02:26:02 PM »
Everything was state of the art once.
A1200: 50mhz GVP Jaws II+, OS 3.1, 32mb Fast, 1gb HD, Indivision MKIICR, PCMCIA network
A4000D: stock 030/25, OS 3.9, 16mb Fast, 1gb HD, Picasso II, Ariadne II, IOExtender

Offline broadblues

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2016, 02:48:07 PM »
"PDF-Printer" on amiga or exporting PDF? I am not aware that this is possible but would do be interested. You can print as postscript file and this convert f.e. on windows but that is not amiga-only then.

Most of the DTP related apps I ever used on amigaos (which ever vintage) had Postscript print abilties, so does iBrowse IIRC and certainly the like of OWB do.

ImageFX can "print" to EPS, which is invaluable when used in combination with Wordworth as wordworth then passes the high quality EPS straight through, and does create it's own grayscale version.

I added this functionailty to print to PS / EPS Sketchblock to replicate that workfow, but you can also output direct to PDF via PIL. (Python Imaging Library)

AmigaOS has PS prnter driver that can also save psoscript direct to file, for printing from those apps that don't do postscript output themselves.

To convert to PDF simply use ghostscripts PDFWrite "device"

Another problem... at least the software I use to design "printable" documents supports different versions of PDF, not possible on amiga I guess.

I've not yet come across a situation wher the version of PDF I *created* was important. I have couple of times come across PDFs from else where that the current OS4 versin of ghostscript doesn't work on. I used linux to sove that hickup.

Offline cgutjahr

• Show only replies by cgutjahr
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2016, 10:57:44 PM »
Quote from: broadblues;808315

I use Wordworth 7 for wordprocessing, poster / flyer creation. Printing to postscrit them converting to PDF with Ghostscript.

WW7's postscript output had some serious limitations IIRC, like all graphics (or was it just vektor graphics?) being limited to grayscale.

How did you solve the font problem? IIRC, you were limited to the fonts used in regular printers (I don't think I ever managed to embedd another font in a postscript file) and I never got  WYSIWYG working because It was impossible (for me) to have the same (postscript) fonts used for screen output that were used in my printer...

Offline cgutjahr

• Show only replies by cgutjahr
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2016, 11:05:16 PM »
I am not aware that this is possible but would do be interested.

Converting Postscript to PDF is easy, Ghostscript can do that. Last Ghostscript port to OS3 should be slightly older than a decade, but that should be good enough for this particular job. Wordworth has no "export to Postscript" ARexx command,so you can't automate the process - but saving it as postscript and then manually converting the file to PDF works fine.

For Postscript output, FinalWriter might be the better choice though. I never used it, but allegedly it's got way better Postscript export.And you can easily automate the PDF export.

Offline broadblues

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2016, 09:40:12 AM »
Quote from: cgutjahr;808356
WW7's postscript output had some serious limitations IIRC, like all graphics (or was it just vektor graphics?) being limited to grayscale.

Actuall it's bitmap graphics that get converted to greyscale, but EPS files get passed through untouched, which is why I convert graphcs to .eps first as I mentioned above.

How did you solve the font problem? IIRC, you were limited to the fonts used in regular printers (I don't think I ever managed to embedd another font in a postscript file) and I never got  WYSIWYG working because It was impossible (for me) to have the same (postscript) fonts used for screen output that were used in my printer...

Printer Settings Window->Postscript Settings SubWindow offers ths choice to download fonts (once , every time (which I think means per page), or never) I have that set to once.

Then you need to install a set of postscript fonts to work from, those that come with ghostscript are good start.  You can't use compugraphic fonts, for postscript printing.

Offline broadblues

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2016, 09:44:10 AM »
Wordworth has no "export to Postscript" ARexx command

Yeah that a right PITA when come to scripting the process, I just save to set file name ram:ww.ps to simplify the later stages.

My PDFMaker script will scan the ghostscript statd.ps file and display all my custom page sizes I created over the years for odd things like custom sized adverts in magazines  A5 with bleed for print shop flyers etc etc.

Offline paul1981

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2016, 09:56:05 AM »
Quote from: OlafS3;808313
Amiga (any platform) is not suited for professional work, missing components like 64bit, memory protection or multicore support are the least problem, more problematic is missing drivers for 3rd party hardware like printers and expecially no up-to-date software. I would never even guess to use amigas for professional work, it is a nice hobby I waste some time on when I have some time left, not more not less.

None of that was a problem for me when I did my school and college assignments on my A1200 in the late 90's. I used Wordworth, and the structured drawing tools were fantastic and the resulting prints professional in my opinion.

Offline kolla

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2016, 11:29:48 AM »
Modern printers hardly have any need for dedicated drivers, they typically hand over a PPD when you install the printer unit in your OS, and you are set. But I suspect that the AmigaOS 4.1 printing system supports neither network printing nor PPD files.
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline broadblues

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2016, 12:42:55 PM »
Quote from: kolla;808406
Modern printers hardly have any need for dedicated drivers, they typically hand over a PPD when you install the printer unit in your OS, and you are set. But I suspect that the AmigaOS 4.1 printing system supports neither network printing nor PPD files.

PDP support probably not, but network printer yes, there a couple of options.

With my hp200 M251N I honestly find it simplest to print to file and the ftp the file to the printer, its faster than going via the PS driver in pass through mode.

I did have it connected via usb too, but it confuses the usb stack when goes in and out of standbye mode.

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2016, 12:45:03 PM »
Quote from: Rob;808298
Have you tried any of the programs I suggested?  If they aren't up to your requirements the feedback could be useful for the developers.

I have used them all.  Notepad and MS Paint are better than any Amiga offerings, and that stings me as a guy who pre-ordered the A3000, A4000, and SAM..  Blender runs like crap, GIMP is worse yet, the only one I value is ADPro and it's a bit wonky on OS4.  The modern gfx programs on the Miggy are not designed for production work at all.  JUNK.

The word processors?  I'd get laughed out of the print shop if I took pdf's into being mass printed, lol.  CED on the other hand is a work of art, and has been since I found it in 1990 or so.  But she ain't no Word Processor.

My advice is that these current developers quit gouging consumers for these dumb CLI essentials and magic, Dancing Bear, Fireworks screenblankers, and programs like CANDI and buckle down and get people USEFUL APPS.  Office Suite, a good, solid browser, would be a good start.

I find it shameful I must pay for "utilities" that came with OS's going back 30 years ago?  I simply cannot fathom why people tolerate this.  People paying for bloody Multiview?

I run a telecomms business with 7 people on staff.  My SAM is on my desk, right beside my Intel 5960 machine with 2 Titan X cards and 64 GB RAM. Yeah, I do some gaming at work :)  I try daily, despite knowing how it'll turn out, to use my SAM as my daily driver.  The results are always the same.  Crashville.

I by no means expected the SAM to do everything that Windows box can do, but I hoped it and OS 4.1 could at least bridge the gap.  It can't.  The machine is relegated to being something I code on, and something I run a 1990 era BBS on.  That's a hard pill to swallow, a $1500 machine that can't do much more than run Excelsior! BBS from 1990.

But every morning, hope against hope, I go to look at my daily job tickets on the SAM, and the Amiga web browser pukes at the most basic GDoc.

I find it a bit sad that Haiku OS or even RISC on the Pi is far more modernly functional than an OS that isn't exactly cheap, and the hardware to run said OS is extortionately priced.  I can buy a Mac Pro for the cost of an X1000/X5000, and said machines can't do a darned thing more than my SAM due to software lackings.

Modern Amiga platforms are no further ahead than they were in the A4000 era, with the exception of decent TCP stacks and USB support.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #29 from previous page: May 13, 2016, 01:22:36 PM »
Quote from: Duce;808410

Modern Amiga platforms are no further ahead than they were in the A4000 era, with the exception of decent TCP stacks and USB support.

well, so far as modern platforms go, poseidon in combination with deneb was, and maybe still is, the more reliable usb solution than the one provided under os4 for several years.