Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Using an Amiga with OS4.1 for daily work.  (Read 1480 times)

Description:

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show all replies
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
Re: Using an Amiga with OS4.1 for daily work.
« on: May 12, 2016, 12:11:04 AM »
I only do a light amount of Word and Photoshop work on a day to day basis on my Windows and Mac PC's.

There's nothing that would even come close to it on my SAM.  It's just not viable.

But that's just my opinion.  I've got enough troubles getting an Amiga web browser to not puke while doing GDocs and the other Google cloud apps.

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show all replies
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
Re: Using an Amiga with OS4.1 for daily work.
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 12:45:03 PM »
Quote from: Rob;808298
Have you tried any of the programs I suggested?  If they aren't up to your requirements the feedback could be useful for the developers.

I have used them all.  Notepad and MS Paint are better than any Amiga offerings, and that stings me as a guy who pre-ordered the A3000, A4000, and SAM..  Blender runs like crap, GIMP is worse yet, the only one I value is ADPro and it's a bit wonky on OS4.  The modern gfx programs on the Miggy are not designed for production work at all.  JUNK.

The word processors?  I'd get laughed out of the print shop if I took pdf's into being mass printed, lol.  CED on the other hand is a work of art, and has been since I found it in 1990 or so.  But she ain't no Word Processor.

My advice is that these current developers quit gouging consumers for these dumb CLI essentials and magic, Dancing Bear, Fireworks screenblankers, and programs like CANDI and buckle down and get people USEFUL APPS.  Office Suite, a good, solid browser, would be a good start.

I find it shameful I must pay for "utilities" that came with OS's going back 30 years ago?  I simply cannot fathom why people tolerate this.  People paying for bloody Multiview?

I run a telecomms business with 7 people on staff.  My SAM is on my desk, right beside my Intel 5960 machine with 2 Titan X cards and 64 GB RAM. Yeah, I do some gaming at work :)  I try daily, despite knowing how it'll turn out, to use my SAM as my daily driver.  The results are always the same.  Crashville.

I by no means expected the SAM to do everything that Windows box can do, but I hoped it and OS 4.1 could at least bridge the gap.  It can't.  The machine is relegated to being something I code on, and something I run a 1990 era BBS on.  That's a hard pill to swallow, a $1500 machine that can't do much more than run Excelsior! BBS from 1990.

But every morning, hope against hope, I go to look at my daily job tickets on the SAM, and the Amiga web browser pukes at the most basic GDoc.

I find it a bit sad that Haiku OS or even RISC on the Pi is far more modernly functional than an OS that isn't exactly cheap, and the hardware to run said OS is extortionately priced.  I can buy a Mac Pro for the cost of an X1000/X5000, and said machines can't do a darned thing more than my SAM due to software lackings.

Modern Amiga platforms are no further ahead than they were in the A4000 era, with the exception of decent TCP stacks and USB support.