Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Android  (Read 8657 times)

Description:

Offline DrDekker

• Show only replies by DrDekker
Re: Android
« Reply #74 from previous page: July 04, 2012, 12:25:51 PM »
My HP Touchpad's running Android ICS 4.0.3 - an I like it!  UAE4Droid works surprisingly well - just waiting for my bluetooth mouse to arrive so I can give Syndicate, Cannon Fodder, Lemmings and Worms some stick.
A1200, M-Tec 1230 @28MHz, FPU, MMU, 8Mb fast ram, SCSI card, 512Mb HD, Power CDROM drive, PS2 optical mouse

Offline vidarh

• Show only replies by vidarh
« Reply #75 on: July 04, 2012, 01:32:52 PM »
Quote from: Bif;698776

And hearing that Flash is not going to be supported in Android 4.1 is disappointing. Half of my time using Android is watching local TV stream presented in flash. I have no love for flash and wish the world would move on from it but if there is no way to do this going forward I will not be pleased, and I'll just try to stick on 4.0.x.

The thing is with both iOS and Android 4.1 not supporting flash, anyone relying on flash will get left in the dust, so while that will be annoying for a little while, it will solve itself as flash-only sites lose more and more audience.

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #76 on: July 04, 2012, 01:41:00 PM »
Flash is not good at all, not needed at all in this day and age
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline kedawa

• Show only replies by kedawa
« Reply #77 on: July 05, 2012, 10:22:11 PM »
I run flashblocker in firefox, and aside from the occasional chart or video, I never enable flash objects.
It really needs to just die.

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #78 on: July 05, 2012, 11:14:21 PM »
Flash is going the way of the dodo.

I for one couldn't be happier.  IMHO, the vast majority of browser crashes in this day and age are caused by Flash issues, and that's not even getting started on the hideous security issues it has.

Good riddance, I say.  There is a very valid reason Apple shunned it entirely on their mobile devices other than the deep dislike for Adobe Jobs had.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #79 on: July 05, 2012, 11:21:06 PM »
Quote from: Duce;699181
Flash is going the way of the dodo.

I for one couldn't be happier.  IMHO, the vast majority of browser crashes in this day and age are caused by Flash issues, and that's not even getting started on the hideous security issues it has.

Good riddance, I say.  There is a very valid reason Apple shunned it entirely on their mobile devices other than the deep dislike for Adobe Jobs had.
Did Jobs dislike Adobe? I don't think so, they were always given stage time at the keynotes and photoshop kept the mac alive through the dark years... What jobs didn't like was flash for a number of reasons... But we don't need to go there ;)

Offline partycentralpartygirl

• Show only replies by partycentralpartygirl
    • http://www.partycentralsupplies.com
« Reply #80 on: July 06, 2012, 12:50:14 AM »
Quote from: bloodline;699183
Did Jobs dislike Adobe? I don't think so, they were always given stage time at the keynotes and photoshop kept the mac alive through the dark years... What jobs didn't like was flash for a number of reasons... But we don't need to go there ;)

Scumbag Steve Jobs, declares Flash to be dead. Dies before Flash does.

I always thought to myself that the reason that Jobs hated Flash so much (other than it being a turd) was that it allowed cross platform application development and cut him out of the loop.

You can play Angry Birds on a PC or a Mac without giving Apple money via Flash. Want to play it on an iPhone/iPad/iPod? then you need to give Apple money.

That's my opinion, there are probably many reasons (it's crap) that Flash wasn't included, but this is definitely one of them.

As for the death of Flash... I predict that most sites will make the jump to HTML5 soon and flash will go away somewhat (Youtube is trying to make the leap) anyways unfortunately some old websites not meant for the general public still use dang ol' Flash and will probably use Flash for at least another 4 or 5 years. I still use online ordering sites that say "Best used with Netscape Naviagtor" on the bottom.

tl:dr; Some business will keep using their stupid Flash websites because "If it ain't broke then why fix it?"

Offline Crom00

• Show only replies by Crom00
« Reply #81 on: July 06, 2012, 04:14:04 AM »
Getting back to android. I recently purchased an Acer A 700 to use to play media files on my 4 hour daily commute.

This could have been the mother of all android tablets but fell short. It has an HD 1920X1200 screen that rivals the ipad. But the CPU was not fast enough to drive the ICS interface without lag.

Games that are coded for the TEGRA 3 (there are only a handfull) such games result in graphical glitches similar to the distortion you may get with an INDIVISION when it's not seated properly. The framerate stutters and then speeds up. The tablet overheats and the screen had a little bit of light bleed.

Screen was not responsive enough for Amiga game emulation and playing.

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #82 on: July 06, 2012, 06:11:27 AM »
Jobs was widely known to have disliked Flash, and for very valid reasons.  It's crap, and one of the biggest security nightmares that exists.

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/

You want to call a dead man a "scumbag" because the company he ran charges a % on sales for coders using the ecosystem to sell their programs (as the other app store vendors do as well), that's on you, lol.  The world doesn't run on charity and puppy kisses - it costs a company like Apple big money to run the itunes and app stores, and they take their base cut on all sales like every other app store does.  MS does the same thing with their marketplace and media offerings.  So does Google (Play), and the Amazon app market.  RIM even does on it's appstore for BB.  Jobs can be considered a "scumbag" for many things he did business wise, but Apple isn't doing anything different than the next guy in regards to the store.

Apple isn't forcing app developers to charge one thin dime for the programs they put on the app store.  Saying that "if you want to play on an ipad you have to pay apple" is just silly, sorry.  Make the best game in the world, Apple (or any other equivalent ecosystem/store) won't prevent you from giving it away for free.  When a developer chooses to sell said program, you cannot very well chide a company that provides the soup to nuts buying experience for taking their cut, can you?  Or do you go into a RL retail store and expect to buy items at wholesale rates, the operator of the storefront not taking a cut for their troubles?

A developer chooses whether or not to charge for their program, if you choose to buy it Apple (or Google/MS/RIM/Amazon) get their cut, just as any other curated store experience would.  There's a lot to be said against the closed nature of the devices, and if one objects to that, don't use them.  Jailbreaking is a 5 minute process otherwise, allowing you to sideload apps with 0 problems just as Android is able to do.  Use what you like - choice is a wonderful thing.

There is very little need for Flash anymore with HTML 5 coming on strong, IMHO - agree on that fully.

Offline djos

• Show only replies by djos
    • http://users.adam.com.au/djorlc/
« Reply #83 on: July 06, 2012, 07:17:32 AM »
Flash is a security nightmare, even Google stopped supporting it in Android's Chrome browser.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1220 16Mhz 128MB w/ RTC, 4GB CF-HDD, Roland MT-32 MIDI Synthesiser
Amiga 500 w/ KS2.05, 1Mb Chip-Ram, CF-IDE w/4MB Fast-Ram, FDD Boot Selector, HxC RevC Floppy emulator
Commodore 64 w/ 1541 Ultimate-II inc Tape Adapter, JiffyDOS, 1541 Disk Drive, 1531 Datasette, Flyer Net Modem

Offline kedawa

• Show only replies by kedawa
« Reply #84 on: July 06, 2012, 04:18:44 PM »
Adobe and Apple had other spats as well.  I remember something having to do with the carbon/cocoa transition, and Adobe not having time to adjust.  They even dropped OSX for Premier.

Offline partycentralpartygirl

• Show only replies by partycentralpartygirl
    • http://www.partycentralsupplies.com
« Reply #85 on: July 06, 2012, 08:10:01 PM »
Quote from: Duce;699214

You want to call a dead man a "scumbag" because the company he ran charges a % on sales for coders using the ecosystem to sell their programs (as the other app store vendors do as well), that's on you,

I do not think you understand how the "scumbag" meme works.

Someone says something, and does another.

He claimed that Flash was dead, it is not dead yet, but he is deceased.

http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/355jil/

The scumbag meme is a joke. Google Scumbag Steve, Scumbag Christians, Scumbag Jesus, Scumbag Government etc... etc...

He is a scumbag, but not because of flash. The thread is not about him anyways so I will not rant about his dealings with his daughter Lisa and the many times he cheated people including the Woz.

Regardless of the fact that he is a scumbag I am a business owner, I understand the concept of a free market. Apple charges money for goods and services, just like every single company on the planet. Anyways just because I still play with Amiga's does not mean I live under a rock.

No hard feelings.... Party hard tonight.

Free Apps/Games are not actually Free, they are stuffed with Ad's. If you play Angry Birds on Roxio's site it is outside of Apple's ecosystem. Apple (wisely) wants everything to be in their ecosystem. With Flash people can run games/emulators and many other programs and Apple has no control over it. MS does not let you run flash on the Xbox, likely for this reason as well... We will see what IE for the 360 does however, but I strongly believe they will not include it. On the other hand Nintendo does indeed have Flash support on the Wii, though it is crippled/old.

In my original post I mentioned that flash is crap. I will be happy when it dies. I am glad Apple did not have flash, I am glad Android is dropping flash. I have hated it since it was owned by Macromedia.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 08:40:22 PM by partycentralpartygirl »