Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Mac time!  (Read 5706 times)

Description:

Offline Matt_HTopic starter

Mac time!
« on: February 26, 2010, 02:01:06 AM »
So long, clunky old Compaq, and hello shiny new (well, Apple refurbished) Mac Mini! How ironic that well over 90% of the time I've spent setting it up has been getting Windows installed and then updated 97 times on VMWare - and that's before I've even migrated any of my data.

(And although I'll probably just install WinUAE under VMWare, what's the best incarnation of UAE for the Mac? Is it MaxUAE?)

I've never had my own Mac before. Looking forward to learning the quirks of OSX that only an owner can discover :)

Re: Mac time!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 03:50:36 AM »
Quote from: save2600;545165
...computing experience that will leave you wondering why in the F!@# it took you so long to convert  :)

Money had a lot to do with it :)

@ Crom00

New BIOS adapter? How does that differ from / why not use BootCamp?
Toaster in a MacPro... sounds like a dual-booting productivity powerhouse!

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 03:18:06 AM »
Quote from: amigadave;545181
Stick with WinUAE if you have an Intel Mac and are running some version of Windows through VMWare, or you can also just use Bootcamp to put Windows on a separate partition and dual boot directly into Windows to use WinUAE.  None of the other UAE versions for Linux or MacOSX are as good and clean as WinUAE.

WinUAE it is, then. Thanks!

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 04:39:14 AM »
@ Crom00

Oh, I see, one of the OSx86 bootloaders. Should have picked that up earlier from "Gigabyte quad core" :)

I put OSX onto my Eee 901 a while ago, but the hardware's just not well enough supported... and the internal drive is pathetic. The whole purpose of a netbook is kinda defeated if you have to lug around an external drive, and I'm not sure I want to sink the money into it for a bigger SSD.

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 01:43:38 AM »
Quote from: Tension;545454
I am confused.

Why would you buy a Mac to make it run Windows?

To still be able to handle the multitudes of Windows-only programs.

And I don't have Office for Mac yet.

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 01:51:20 AM »
Quote from: Hell Labs;545446
what type of ssd though? If it's 1.8 ide, you could buy an old iPod with a smashed screen and crack it open. Dunno how much power those drives  pull though, might bring battery life down a bit.

Plus it's "apple labeled hardware" so your licence agreement is now valid.

I already have such a drive... and it won't work in the Eee 901. The 901 has 2 SSDs - a fast 4GB one and a slow 8GB one. Only the 8GB one is user accessible, and the miniPCIe-to-ZIF adapter I replaced it with to connect the 1.8" drive won't work with the 4GB drive still connected. And the adapter makes it too fat to close the trapdoor. Very frustrating.

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 03:05:00 AM »
Nope, my OSX install is on a clunky external USB drive. I've got Windows on the 4GB drive, and it's incredibly painful.

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 04:23:30 AM »
Quote from: beller;545600
I put XP on both my mini and my MacBook and have since deleted both.  Took up lots of hard drive and I really only used it for Amiga emulation. However, if you need it Bootcamp is great.  

If you haven't tried it, take a look at Open Office (http://www.openoffice.org).  I'm thinking this might be a better replacement for Office than paying for an upgrade....

Congrats on the new Mac!

Bob

I expect I'll be using Windows less and less as I transition off my "crutch", but I'd rather have it available and not use it than not have it and suddenly need it. My hard drive's plenty big and I only gave Windows the BootCamp button-press default of 32GB.

I've used OpenOffice Writer before. It's plenty capable on its own, but it's just not good enough at data exchange with Word (which is the same reason I'm not using Wordworth for everything on my Amiga). Luckily, I've had the good fortune to have not had to pay for a Microsoft product in ages - good old right-place-right-time for site-licensed copies - and this has held up for Mac Office :)

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 12:59:07 AM »
Quote from: Wayne;545633
Not comparing AmigaOS with OS X.  You couldn't, no matter how delusional you are.

What I was saying was.. In 2000, if Amiga Inc had "pulled an apple" and built a new AmigaOS out of a NetBSD or Linux kernal like Apple did with OS X, then ran it on commodity hardware, we'd all be singing a much happier tune today.

Wayne

But, but... AmigaOS5 will be better than OSX! :crazy:

Unix-backed AmigaOS... I don't know. I was skeptical of the QNX route back when it was announced ages ago. I wasn't too upset when it fell through. Commodity hardware, yes, that's the way to go, but I'm unconvinced on Unix. Maybe if Anubis ever writes a line of code I'll give it a try. That seems like the same concept.

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 12:24:57 AM »
Hey, is there an Aminet-type place for Mac software?

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 01:51:41 AM »
Quote from: Wayne;546075
Aminet is kind of a really outdated idea, as most software projects/groups/people put up their own web sites.

The best place I've found is downloads.com.

Wayne

Hm, I'll have a look. Thanks!