Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hallelujah! (Was: Anyone have a copy of InDesign?)  (Read 1269 times)

Description:

Offline FloidTopic starter

• Show only replies by Floid
Hallelujah! (Was: Anyone have a copy of InDesign?)
« on: May 06, 2005, 05:12:51 AM »
Yeah, I'm cashing in some brownie points on this one, and if you've been on #amiga.org, you've already heard it.

What I have -- one 25MB!? .indd, 'recovered' from a relative's USB stick with a nicely corrupted FAT.

What I could dearly use -- anyone owning a copy of InDesign (CS, most likely), to tell me if this looks like recoverable data (should be some pages of layout for a CD cover+booklet graphic design project), or if it's completely corrupt and garbage.

Any takers?  :nervous:

[That link should stay active for about 12 hours, after which I'll have to assume it's trash if I can't confirm otherwise, anyway...]

Offline Darklight

• Show only replies by Darklight
Re: OT - SOS: Anyone have a copy of InDesign?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005, 05:19:00 AM »
I've got InDesign around here somewhere.  I'm downloading your file now, and I'll let you know whether it works or not.

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2005, 07:24:56 AM »
Should I assume the stunned silence means "/dev/urandom would have a better chance of parsing," or am I just not patient enough?

Offline X-ray

• Show only replies by X-ray
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2005, 08:03:33 AM »
Can you also try the trial version of In Design (I think it has a 30 day limit, unfortunately I have used mine up)

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2005, 08:21:47 AM »

X-ray wrote:
Can you also try the trial version of In Design (I think it has a 30 day limit, unfortunately I have used mine up)

I had no idea there was one; thanks for pointing it out.  It just might come to that, though if anyone confirms negative, I can force myself to find new and different ways to massage the image of the corrupt drive...

Offline djnick

• Show only replies by djnick
    • http://www.djnick.rs
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2005, 08:41:22 AM »

...or you could crack-it on lomalka.ru site ;-)

Offline Kinster

• Show only replies by Kinster
    • http://www.andykinsella.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2005, 10:17:27 AM »
I'm grabbing you file now - I'll let you know in a couple of minutes if I can open it.

Andy K

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2005, 10:26:56 AM »
Okay, to cap this all off, wow was that a pleasant surprise.  Gave in and got the trial, shot in the dark... and lo, that file that repeats the alphabet over and over again (hey, look in a hex editor) is valid, with all the work in place, and most of it embedded -- impressive, considering every time I'd seen it prior, the file reported as 4k...

As to cracking, I'm not particularly enthused by the idea of screwing around with a founding member of the BSA, myself -- especially with the 'Free' alternatives available -- and I figure that wouldn't exactly send the best message to the student here; considering the school isn't teaching 'workflow' and is barely conveying (as I get to hear it, anyway) technique, I think the only thing it can teach is to demonstrate how unsustainable the whole ball of wax is.

I could go on and on about that, but hey... breakfast beer toast to X-Ray, and much obliged to everyone else, including whoever's been downloading the whole thing as I type this.  :pint:  If you haven't heard, at least part of the moral is apparently to keep FAT-formatted USB widgets (or quite possibly hotpluggable anything) away from OS X pre-10.3.9.

Edit:  Okay, taking the server down now, before I waste anyone else's time.  :-D

Offline Kinster

• Show only replies by Kinster
    • http://www.andykinsella.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2005, 10:36:21 AM »
Glad you got it sorted. I don't need to tell you that it's fine - though you could have shaved off 10 meg by zipping it up  :-)

All the best

Andy K

---------------------------
check out my gear on ebay
http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZaQ5fcinnsealach

Offline Darklight

• Show only replies by Darklight
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2005, 11:13:16 AM »
Glad you managed to salvage the data.  Sorry I didn't help, I downloaded your file, but ended up having to go to my singing lesson ( :lol: sounds pretty lame, but it's true.  I'm a musician  :-P) before I could check it with InDesign.  By the time I got back, you'd sorted it out.  Anyway, good to see you got it.   :-)

Offline X-ray

• Show only replies by X-ray
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2005, 09:58:20 PM »
@ Floid

Glad I could make a useful suggestion, and thanks for the breakfast beer  :-)