Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Why CUSA's need to take Pre-Orders?  (Read 4722 times)

Description:

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
Re: Why CUSA's need to take Pre-Orders?
« Reply #29 from previous page: April 08, 2011, 12:24:07 AM »
Quote from: Franko;629671
I mean have you ever owned or used an original C64 breadbox style case, it's the worst design ever when it comes to doing any prolonged typing on

Unlike you I actually grew up with a C64 and used one as my primary computer for 4 years, until I bought my 128. I spent countless hours daily typing on it and found it quite comfortable.
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline adz

• Knight of the Sock
    • Show only replies by adz
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2011, 12:33:40 AM »
Apple peddle their shit on pre-order all the time and no one bats an eye lid...

Offline warpdesign

• Show only replies by warpdesign
    • http://www.warpdesign.fr
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2011, 12:35:36 AM »
Quote from: Valis;629647
Since there seems to be a lot of CUSA activity here I thought this might be a good place for a some decent discussion.  I've seen recently the C64x has been offered for "pre order" on the Commodore website.  

I'm curious as to why a company that has millions of dollars in advertising revenue alone would need to start pre-ordering months in advance, for June in this case, instead of just waiting until they have their product ready to actually deliver.

Well... Apple, which has way more cach also does pre ordering...

Seems curious when they are so obviously tied to a community that is so fraught with a long history of pre-order disasters.

Do you really think CBM-USA is targetting the 1000+ users found in the Amiga "community" (I wouldn't use that term, since in "community" there is "unity" and I don't see any unity here...) ?

That being said, it's not perfect... I'd myself ask why a company spending millions of dollars in advertising has a website run by a 10-years old child... Ridiculous pictures (bad quality, 1996-like gif styles), layout, colors,...

You can use today's tendences while keeping the retro look... But you have to pay someone to do it. Seems like they didn't have the money, or didn't want to do it (maybe they thought anyone could make a nice-looking, intuitive, mordern website and did it themselves...)

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2011, 12:47:45 AM »
Quote from: adz;629807
Apple peddle their shit on pre-order all the time and no one bats an eye lid...

Anywhere but here, I'd agree but honestly, the crowd on this site hates apple more than I hate Hitler.

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2011, 02:50:58 AM »
Quote from: runequester;629814
Anywhere but here, I'd agree but honestly, the crowd on this site hates apple more than I hate Hitler.

damn straight:D
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2011, 03:04:59 AM »
Quote from: runequester;629814

Seconded. Both are pathological, but only Apple still represents a danger to society at large.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2011, 04:04:31 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;629894
Seconded. Both are pathological, but only Apple still represents a danger to society at large.

You know, I may not always agree with everything you say, but that is f'ing hilarious.

Well played sir :)

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2011, 04:29:59 AM »
Quote from: runequester;629925
You know, I may not always agree with everything you say, but that is f'ing hilarious.

Well played sir :)

Oh, I'm only half kidding. Frankly, business practices in the US scare me.
Did you know that its legal to patent human genes (as long as they've been modified)?
Patenting plant genes is scary enough, but human genes?
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2011, 07:43:19 AM »
Quote from: runequester;629664
Out of curiosity, what makes a PC in a C64 case an interest to an amiga community, as opposed to a C64 one?

Im not actually trying to be snide here, I think its a cool idea, if overpriced for what you get.
But Im not sure there's much relevance other than "the company that made your computer also made this other computer, so here's a netbook power PC put into that case".
A PC in a spectrum case would be as relevant.

If I was in the market for something "retro amiga" that isnt my 1200, I'd go with Morph OS instead
I think I have an answer to this question.

Both myself and Motorolin have tried to build a Mini-ITX into an old A1200 case (I'm sure others have tried too), but it was a struggle. The Mini-ITX boards had bits and bobs sticking out too far and at inconvenient angles to fit inside the A1200's svelt case... :( then there are difficulties interfacing the A1200's keyboard, which has no controller mcu... The problems just go on :'(

If enough people buy this CUSA thing, then maybe CUSA will build and A1200 (or perhaps ans A600) version. Buy one, pop AROS/UAE on it and be happy. This is for the non purist retro scene (of which I am most definitely part of), rather than the purist hobby scene.

As an asside, if CUSA do make an Amiga version, then I hope they employ on of our FPGA experts to build an I/O board so I can hook up my 9pin mouse/joysticks, an Amiga floppy external port (so I can read my old floppies) :)

Offline Belial6

• Show only replies by Belial6
    • http://www.glasshead.net
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2011, 08:25:41 AM »
Here is a board ready to go for the 9 pin.  It even has extra solder points so you can have your two button joysticks if you want.

http://www.legacyengineer.com/storefront/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=35&products_id=86&zenid=22c95es2uqq1otisokf3knder1

Offline gesipo

• Show only replies by gesipo
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2011, 08:53:43 AM »
Quote from: redrumloa;629802
Unlike you I actually grew up with a C64 and used one as my primary computer for 4 years, until I bought my 128. I spent countless hours daily typing on it and found it quite comfortable.

I have used my breadbin C64 even longer as my primary computer, I can't say it was an unpleasant experience. I actually prefer the breadbin box over the C model, go figure. :)

If the C64x case were half the price, I'd have one instantly (when available, I wouldn't pre-pay). But the current pricing is just ridiculous, so no breadbin for me.